New puppy was not socialized well??

I want you to think how you would feel if I took you to a war zone and dumped you off with people I trust but that you don't know. That is what this puppy is experiencing. I wouldn't take it to a puppy class right away but would instead work on gaining trust. You have no idea how long it took to get Tinsel to leave his crate and I refused to pull him out as that was the only security he had.
Certainly enroll pup to start in a month or two but work on getting it feeling comfortable, first in it's house then in the yard moving to quiet off property and eventually noisy bustle. It has to learn to look to you for guidance and right now you are no one to trust. You did, after all, take it away from were it was safe.
If puppy starts to show anxiety, take a step back from were you are with it. For example, if it is now looking around happily in the yard but is terrified once you take it outside those boundries, then go back to the yard for a day or two and then try again.
Once Tinsel had a solid sit and his perpetual wave down pat, I was able to divert his focus from what was so scarey back to me by asking for one of those behaviours and rewarding him generously for doing it. I wouldn't ask for a down as that would make him a little too vulnerable. Your pup may be inheirantly shy which means it may never be a social butterfly but it can be given more confidence if you work slowly and with tiny steps.
You cannot "train" emotional responses out of a dog. You can teach it how to deal with them and how to refocus on better things. Pushing too fast will likely lead you to reactivity problems.
 
Just thought I would give an update on Ember. She is doing great. She has become very used to the family and house. We did take her camping with the understanding if she wasn't doing well I would go home with her. Well she LOVES the camper. Made herself right at home. She did well with her "brother" in the x-pen played most of the day. Since she isn't completely leash broke we spoiled her by carrying her to the dog walk area. But she wanted to play with all the kids, and loved the attention.
Life was great until last Saturday when the rotten kids across from us thought it would be great fun to throw a pack of firecrackers in our yard while my husband and I were walking both dogs. Needless to say cops were called and I gave kids and their mom and ear full. And since fireworks are illegal in out town mom was cited for her kids fireworks. :mad: So now we are taking baby steps to get Ember back outside without being afraid.
To everyone who has asked for pictures my settings don't allow me to attach pictures. Not sure how to get that changed but I sent admin an email to find out.
 
Uhg! I'm getting to the piont were I HATE haveing neighbors! Oh how I wish I could live out in the country!:gaah
Anyway, Ember is a cutie! I'm glad she's doing so grate. Keep the pictures coming! Can't get enough of them!:biggrin2:
 
Back
Top