New Sheltie Jasper won't eat!

Also it is not a long term fix but can you give him a piece of kibble out of his bowl and have him eat it? If so give him a couple then drop a couple and then kind of stir his food with your finger. My previous dog would not eat the first day I left unless someone did this.

I was also going to suggest this - when we first brought Domino home he didn't really eat very much for the first few weeks - this was the only way I could get anything into him. I also never saw him drink very much - although he does the same thing as Jasper - licking condensation or drinking drips from the outside hose. I found that with time he has become much better. Although I don't think he will ever be crazy about his food he does eat most of what we put down for him. I know it is worrying, especially if he is slightly underweight but they won't starve themselves - I hope you find that with time he will become more comfortable and eat more so you can stop worrying.
 
My girls will NOT drink out of stainless steel bowls, but plastic is just fine!??
I would definitely change the type of bowl. Poor Jasper probably didn't get regular meals, and may indeed have gotten just scraps of people food or something. Good grief.

Have patience, he sounds like a nice dog and lucky to have you.

Sharon
 
Hi and welcome.
Yogi did not eat a lot as a puppy and I found leaving food with him overnight was the key as there was less going on to distract him.
I remember reading somewhere that dogs which have not been brought up with normal regular access to water simply don't know how to drink from a water bowl as they have had to get water from other sources, e.g dripping taps. This might be Jasper's problem. I have seen some toy breeds with rabbit drinking bottles so their coats don't dip in the water. They lick the drips from the end. Long term it's probably not ideal as not that much water comes out but short term he might use it so at least you know he is able to drink something when it's hot. Or perhaps try putting water in different types of container if he is drinking from a glass? You will need to make sure he is drinking enough if he is going to be eating dry food.
Good luck, looking forward to hearing how he's getting on:smile2:
 
Hey! I just wanted to say THANK YOU! about the bowl I would never have thought that would influence his eating habits. As soon as I swapped out his stainless bowls for gladware he started eating haha. Now I have to go to petsmart to see if I can get credit for the stainless and get him new plastic ones!

Thank you all!

Kevin&Jasper
 
Back
Top