No fence = No sheltie

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
I just saw this in a previous thread and was wondering.....why is that a requirement? I'm just curious. I understand it if you let the dog out in the yard, unleashed, but what if the dog is never off-leash outside?

Anyhow. I thought I'd ask because I'm also considering a rescue for my next Sheltie. It'll either be a rescue that does agility for fun, or one "bred" for agility. Obviously, I too have seen a lot of the no fence means no Sheltie.

I live in SoCal. First, we have small yards. Second, it's very expensive to have a house with a yard. I have a feeling I'll be living in an apt or condo when I get my next dog. Which means, I won't even have a yard! Does that matter?

Is the fence/yard a concern more about exercise or them running away? Cuz I've known many dogs to run away with fenced yards (over, under, or through a left open gate). And I've known a lot of dogs to not wander off their property w/o a fence (electric or otherwise).

I guess, I want to know if I'm just not a good candidate at all. lol. I guess I could just call my local Sheltie rescue.

Thanks. I haven't made any choices, but honestly, I feel so guilty at times buying from a breeder versus rescuing. And hopefully, I'll have years to decide (I won't be getting another dog until Miko is ready to leave this world).
 
Many rescues have the fence rule, but I disagree with it. When my shelties are at my mothers (lives in the woods, no fenced in yard, but outdoor kennels), they're put out to potty without being fenced in, and usually without a person out there. We've had one get lost, and she was an oldie. (We did find her.)

At my house now, they're outside either in the backyard (fenced in), or out in the yard with a person.

The only time they're on leash is if we're hiking in state lands/trails.

They're reliable-they come when we call, and if they're taught the boundries, they won't go past them, with or without a person out there.
 
I gave up on rescue and I have a fenced yard. Forty-eight questions later (which I answered), vet and personal references (got all that) and a $400 "re-homing fee" requirement put me off.

So sad. I can give the best home, quality food, have a fence, and am home all day. Too bad some rescues can't "see" beyond their good intentions.
 
Shelties need a lot of exercise, and the rescues believe that you cannot give them adequate exercise by having them always on a leash.
 
I just saw this in a previous thread and was wondering.....why is that a requirement? I'm just curious. I understand it if you let the dog out in the yard, unleashed, but what if the dog is never off-leash outside?

Anyhow. I thought I'd ask because I'm also considering a rescue for my next Sheltie. It'll either be a rescue that does agility for fun, or one "bred" for agility. Obviously, I too have seen a lot of the no fence means no Sheltie.

I live in SoCal. First, we have small yards. Second, it's very expensive to have a house with a yard. I have a feeling I'll be living in an apt or condo when I get my next dog. Which means, I won't even have a yard! Does that matter?

Is the fence/yard a concern more about exercise or them running away? Cuz I've known many dogs to run away with fenced yards (over, under, or through a left open gate). And I've known a lot of dogs to not wander off their property w/o a fence (electric or otherwise).

I guess, I want to know if I'm just not a good candidate at all. lol. I guess I could just call my local Sheltie rescue.

Thanks. I haven't made any choices, but honestly, I feel so guilty at times buying from a breeder versus rescuing. And hopefully, I'll have years to decide (I won't be getting another dog until Miko is ready to leave this world).

Well 4-1/2 years ago,we were turned down from a sheltie rescue here in SC..for that very reason~ no if ands or butts! It was a no.
 
Wow! Not to sound mean to rescues, but I'm assuming y'all are good people with big doggie hearts. Why would you pass up a loving home for a dog because of a yard? Seems so crazy to me.

BTW Michelle, love your new avatar. How long did it take to get all 3 sitting there? Jasper is so cute. Reminds me of Koji when he was a pup.
 
This is a very interesting subject for me. I've been looking at a lot of rescue sites lately and wondered about the fencing issue. I always look first to see if a fence is required. We are VERY rural, hundreds of feet from the road and in an open field surround by trees. We've never had a fence and sure we never will. It would be interesting to see if being out in the middle of nowhere would make a difference.

But I'm thinking as I'm typing, probably not, what with wildlife and whatnot.

Too bad.
 
It is sad that a fence rule is keeping lots of shelties from getting a good home. I also tried to get one and was turned down due to the fence rule.. So i got my boy Snickers from a breeder and he is awesome and I am soo lucky and happy to have him.

I think it should be a case by case basis.... let them come to your home and you can show them they will have a better quality of life with you than being in a shelter or rescue. NO FENCE = NO SHELTIE needs to stop!!! Shelters have too many rules and regulations and are preventing animals from getting good homes.
 
This is a very interesting subject for me. I've been looking at a lot of rescue sites lately and wondered about the fencing issue. I always look first to see if a fence is required. We are VERY rural, hundreds of feet from the road and in an open field surround by trees. We've never had a fence and sure we never will. It would be interesting to see if being out in the middle of nowhere would make a difference.

But I'm thinking as I'm typing, probably not, what with wildlife and whatnot.

Too bad.

I could probably guess at the frontage at the rental house,and I'm making a guess we were at least 175ft. of frontage.In the back it was wide open fields.I even took pictures,and it was still a no.

But now in hindsight..things happen for a reason,because we could not be happier with our pups,and our breeder.
 
Wow! Not to sound mean to rescues, but I'm assuming y'all are good people with big doggie hearts. Why would you pass up a loving home for a dog because of a yard? Seems so crazy to me.

BTW Michelle, love your new avatar. How long did it take to get all 3 sitting there? Jasper is so cute. Reminds me of Koji when he was a pup.

Well a few mother Hubbard cookies..and me sitting on the counter cause they we soooo close to me.I could'nt get them to back off! I had a time with Earnie,as he does not like his picture taken.
But thank you..hopefully next time we'll get all 4 (Bumper) in there somewhere.

Like I said,things happen for a reason.We are extremely satisfied now with our pups.Life is good~
 
Back
Top