Noah has cancer of his bladder.

Toby

Forums Regular
I have followed these boards for some time and know the most knowledgeable and compassionate Sheltie owners are here. You are all great people as there is nothing like a Sheltie.

My Noah has been diagnosed with TTC, cancer of his bladder about a little over a month witch is inoperable. Because all he has been through and how nervous he gets, we decided not to pursue cancer treatment. He is 10 1\2 years old. He has had a lot of major issues in the past, but this one is the most serious.

I know generally dogs who are close to the end stop eating and drinking but I was told from a hospice doctor that is not the case with this type of cancer. He said the only way to tell is when his stream of urine is not streaming, then he is close and in my opinion when he does not react to things he loves.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dean
 
Oh Dean, my heart goes out to you and Noah with this devastating diagnosis. I am glad to hear you are not planning to allow him to go through any further procedures that will only scare him. Hospice care is the best at this stage.

I have never had a sheltie with this diagnosis so I can not offer any guidance. My Laddie had bone cancer and I was told he only had a few months. He lasted 9. My hospice vet was outstanding guiding me through the process. In the end his spleen ruptured since the cancer spread there. We rushed him to the emergency vet but nothing could be done.

I certainly hope you have more time with Noah. Our shelties are our lives. Yes, this site has the best and most caring members. Hopefully, others can provide you further guidance.

Please know my boys and I wish you and Noah the best. Virtual hugs to you both. :hugs
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Oh Dean, my heart goes out to you and Noah with this devastating diagnosis. I am glad to hear you are not planning to allow him to go through any further procedures that will only scare him. Hospice care is the best at this stage.

I have never had a sheltie with this diagnosis so I can not offer any guidance. My Laddie had bone cancer and I was told he only had a few months. He lasted 9. My hospice vet was outstanding guiding me through the process. In the end his spleen ruptured since the cancer spread there. We rushed him to the emergency vet but nothing could be done.

I certainly hope you have more time with Noah. Our shelties are our lives. Yes, this site has the best and most caring members. Hopefully, others can provide you further guidance.

Please know my boys and I wish you and Noah the best. Virtual hugs to you both. :hugs
 
Thank you so much. People cannot truly understand that they are our lives. My wife and I are so hurt and do not know how we will go on. My wife is on disability and has been with him every day since he was born and I absolute adore him. I never thought there would be a time he would not be there and I have had dogs my entire life.

Thank you for the warm wishes and I am sorry to hear what you had to go through. Life will never be the same.
 
I was never able to figure how how to post a profile picture. Toby was our last Sheltie.

I think you have to be a premium member to do that. Not sure.

Please feel free to post pictures of Noah and your family by loading to a picture sharing program and copy the link in your post!

Take care... keep us posted on your progress.
 
Bladder Cancer is not one I have seen on the board before (lots of other cancers,though).
Gavin went through radiation for his at 10, and at 12 suffered an accident that left him lame (limps on his cancer paw).
I don't know how Naoh's cancer will affect his mobility or stamina, but if the vet is right than he should be normal up until the end. I am so glad that Gavin has gotten to the beach as much as he did, and all our road trips, too. Definitely recommend thinkig of doggie bucket list type things.
 
Dean, I am so sorry for the TCC dx that you got for your Noah. We lost a wonderful little sable Sheltie boy, Rory, at 8 years old to TTC. And they do eat and act happy right up to when they can no longer pass urine...so the typical flags that tell you a little dog is near death are not there with TCC. We had an ultrasound done every 6 weeks once we got the dx for Rory and that let us see how far the cancer had spread so we knew when we were very close to time to let him go. Even on the final day when he could not longer pass urine he happily ate a last meal of hamburger, eyes bright and tail wagging... and anyone who didn't know he was dying of cancer would never have guessed he was sick. This is both a blessing and a curse...for your precious Noah to be able to be happy right up to the end is the blessing...but to have to put down a dog you love who looks and acts as if nothing is wrong it is one of the hardest, most heart wrenching decisions ever to make. That is where the ultrasounds helped us...we had visual proof that it was time. That didn't make the choice any less devastating emotionally, but we never had to look back and question whether we had made the decision when there was still hope for more time.

Again, I am so very sorry. :( Cherish every day you and Noah have and remember he thankfully has no idea that he is on borrowed time. We humans who love these wonderful little souls are the ones who carry the pain when we are faced with losing them.

Trini
 
Last edited:
Dean, I'm so sorry to welcome you to the Forum this way. What devastating news for your precious Noah. We lost our Ivy at age 10 also to bladder cancer. It was roughly 6 months from her diagnosis until she passed. As Trini said, there are very few signs at the end. She did slow down, and didn't seem to have the zest for life that she'd had. Had we known, I might have done ultrasounds as Trini did, but we didn't know that was an option so I just based my judgement on her behavior and my instincts. No matter how you make that choice, it's one of the toughest days ever. I hope you and your wife can enjoy some good time making memories with Noah now. That will give you comfort in the days to come.

For what it's worth, a very good friend told me several years ago when I was struggling with the "when is it time" question again with another one of my Shelties that it's better to let them go on a good day than to wait till they're in crisis. There will never be a good time for us, but keeping them from suffering is the last gift you can give them. Sending you peace and prayers.
 
Back
Top