Noah has cancer of his bladder.

Thank you Trini and Ann. You both have so much knowledge and compassionate responses that make this site a blessing to those who need it most.
So agree with You Gloria
For what it's worth, a very good friend told me several years ago when I was struggling with the "when is it time" question again with another one of my Shelties that it's better to let them go on a good day than to wait till they're in crisis. There will never be a good time for us, but keeping them from suffering is the last gift you can give them.
It is the last gift from the heart we can give our beloved dogs
but definitely the most difficult, but we owe them this :hugs
 
I have followed these boards for some time and know the most knowledgeable and compassionate Sheltie owners are here. You are all great people as there is nothing like a Sheltie.

My Noah has been diagnosed with TTC, cancer of his bladder about a little over a month witch is inoperable. Because all he has been through and how nervous he gets, we decided not to pursue cancer treatment. He is 10 1\2 years old. He has had a lot of major issues in the past, but this one is the most serious.

I know generally dogs who are close to the end stop eating and drinking but I was told from a hospice doctor that is not the case with this type of cancer. He said the only way to tell is when his stream of urine is not streaming, then he is close and in my opinion when he does not react to things he loves.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dean
I am so very sorry to see this. I lost my Ozzie to the same disease nearly three years ago, at the age of just over 10. And my experience matches what the hospice doctor told you--you would never have known he was sick. I did chemo treatment, although I don't think it made any difference and would probably not do it again. It didn't bother him at all (he loved the attention he got from the staff at the vet, who loved him and carried him around, feeding him treats), but I don't think it bought any time, either--he was diagnosed in mid-July and died in mid-November, cheerful and lively up until the very end. One day the tumor fully blocks the urethra, and then there is nothing anyone can do. When that happens, he will be very uncomfortable and in danger of a burst bladder, so it's important to make sure he does not suffer.
 
Back
Top