Non-show dogs...how much time do you spend grooming every week?

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
This question is not for owners of show dogs, but companion Shelties only.

How much time do you spend grooming each individual dog per week?
 
Right now I only have one and I spend about 10 minutes every other day, justtoget her used to the comb and brushes.
 
In the Poll I said I spend 5- 10 hours a month grooming but it isn't that I am so concerned of how she looks but more that I enjoy the time spent with her. It also is a good way to check for fleas, ticks and any skin issues that might pop up. And Sally has really learned to relax and enjoy our grooming sessions-still doesn't enjoy a bath unless it's in the wading pool, though. :eek2:
 
Usually 20 minutes once a week. I always mist her first. (Pin brush followed by slicker brush then comb). Sometimes while watching TV she will lay on the floor and I'll run the natural bristle brush over her coat, she usually falls asleep.

My older sheltie had a different coat and he needed to be brushed more frequently. at least 2x week/20-30 minutes each time.

During shedding season I do the 20 minutes once a week plus add in a 10 minute session every other day as well.

Always, always brush before bathing to avoid mats

Karol
 
Lucky is easy to groom with his silky coat. Lil' Lady, if she was kidnapped they would pay me to take her back. She is the Dirtball Diva at times.

The time per week all depends on the girl, Lucky is really easy to take care of. Not adding a bath in I have to say about two hours a week, and at times more.
 
With Cosmo, about 30 minutes every other day, his coat particularly around his head is very thick. With Jet, maybe 10 minutes every other day, his coat is more sleek and easier to get through.
 
I bath mine every 2 weeks or so in summer (its too humid here they get skin problems if i dont bath them) so I don't thoroughly brush them until then. Plus they don't tangle easily, I only brush the ears and pants every few days.5-10mins each.

I feel bad now seeing everyone else spending so much time on brushing lol

Edit: https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/1184848_10151825323097044_2139817152_n.jpg taken just now. they don't look too bad I think :p I keep up with the nails and feet.
 
Last edited:
Xerospin your shelties are beautiful!!! I wouldn't feel bad if I were you, it's obvious they are well looked after. I think each dog is different in the amount of work it needs. My test is can I run a comb through without catching any tangles... pants, under arms & ears shouldn't have any knots either. It's really hot & humid here in the summer; being well groomed helps them handle it. Our neighbour at the cottage we used to have, had an old sheltie with the sweetest personality ever, but he was so matted it just broke my heart every time I saw him thinking how uncomfortable he must have been. Sadly the coat was so far gone it would have required shaving.
 
Last edited:
This is a picture of my Emma - I have spent every day for the last couple of weeks just brushing and combing her - still has some undercoat. A warm bath helped loosen it. She still needs some trimming.
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 33
This is a picture of my Emma - I have spent every day for the last couple of weeks just brushing and combing her - still has some undercoat. A warm bath helped loosen it. She still needs some trimming.

Emma must have a lot of undercoat!! I'm jealous lol my boys don't grow much undercoat here because of the climate. Probably why I don't need to comb them much. She's so pretty!


@ejhuntl: thanks! Although I think it's because they don't have huge coats lol
 
Back
Top