Novice Obedience Question

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
I'm debating on getting Miko his CD. I know it's lame, but it'd be nice to see CD behind his name since CGC really isn't a title. I'm sure it'd take some training again, but there's one area we've always had issues with. The Down.

When you put your dog in a down, can it be from a sit? Can you say, "sit", then "down"? Or does it have to be a direct down? I'm pretty sure we could handle those things.....looks like 3 times to get a CD. Is that correct?

Also, for the recall, do they need to sit after they come to you? Or can they stand?

Thanks. I know I could read the rulebook, but honestly, I hate rulebooks, they're so confusing.
 
Why is CD lame?! :eek2: I don't think it is lame at all.

A lay is called a "down". I don't know how it is in other places, but I am having a heck of a time with "down", because I taught Smudge using the command by saying the word "lay", and you have to use the words they tell you here. Other places might be different.

They sit for the recall, but they finish to the right. It's really too bad my camera does not have a video function on it. I could have posted a video of Storm, Janita Jaster's dog. Storm is AWESOME in obedience. To sit for the recall they sit right up in front of you, and then to finish the exercise you always finish them to the right, which is when the dog walks to your right side and sits down. MUCH easier than it sounds. Don't worry, Smudge! We'll get it someday. :yes:
 
Why is CD lame?! :eek2: I don't think it is lame at all.

No no no. I didn't mean the CD was lame (sheesh, not trying to offend obedience ppl here, lol). I meant the reasons to get the CD is lame. Miko is 12 now. And he doesn't do anything like agility, etc. So getting it, would be for the only reason of having CD behind his AKC name. THAT is the lame part. LOL. Well, to me the reason seems lame. Cuz it's not for him, it's for me.

A lay is called a "down". I don't know how it is in other places, but I am having a heck of a time with "down", because I taught Smudge using the command by saying the word "lay", and you have to use the words they tell you here. Other places might be different.

Really? You have to use AKC terms? Down? Here? etc? interesting. My two cents, retrain the down command with the word down. Because Koji was sitting, then lying down when I used the "down" command, I had to retrain a down with the word "drop". Seems to be helping.

They sit for the recall, but they finish to the right.

oh gawd. you mean they have to finish in a heel? so not in front of you? is this novice? uh-oh.
 
There is no "here" in obedience, either. I got in trouble in class for saying "Come here Smudge!". The correct way in class is, "Smudge! Come!". My class was really strict on words. I would imagine in competition they would be as well. Obedience is hard to score titles in, from what I have been told.

They start everything off by asking, "Are you readyto begin the exericse?" You say yes, compete the exercise, and finish the dog off to the right. Then the instructor says, "Exercise complete." There are several exercises to do. You walk slow, walk fast, heel, come forward, figure eights (with real people instead of cones, and I dread that so bad for Smudge :dead:). I think you do off leash in novice a little bit, but I am not sure.
 
Just found this on the website (I hate rulebooks too):


NOVICE - For the dog just getting started in obedience. Exercises include:

Heel on Leash and Figure Eight - show whether the dog has learned to watch its handler and adjust its pace to stay with the handler.
Heel Free - done off leash.
Stand for Examination - is of great benefit when the dog needs hands-on care by a veterinarian.
Recall - provides the handler with the ability to call the dog and get an immediate response at all times.
Long Sit (1 minute) - allows the handler to have control of the dog when visitors come to the home.
Long Down (3 minutes) - dog must remain in a down position.
 
Ok, found some more info that answers your questions:


Exercise four is the “recall,” worth 30 points. The dog must sit and stay where left by the handler until it is called, then go directly to the handler and sit in front. A zero is scored if the dog does not stay, does not come on the first call, or does not sit close enough for the handler to reach the its head. The dog must then return to heel position on command, either by walking around the handler or swinging into place.

(More info here: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cdtitle.html)
 
The dog must then return to heel position on command, either by walking around the handler or swinging into place.

Thanks for looking for me. I'll check out the link.

I think the part I quoted above will be the end of me. Not sure Miko is willing ot learn new things. Although, he did decent in our Rally-O class. Just a bit slow.
 
They start everything off by asking, "Are you readyto begin the exericse?" You say yes, compete the exercise, and finish the dog off to the right. Then the instructor says, "Exercise complete." There are several exercises to do. You walk slow, walk fast, heel, come forward, figure eights (with real people instead of cones, and I dread that so bad for Smudge :dead:). I think you do off leash in novice a little bit, but I am not sure.

On the upside, all the stuff you listed were what we learned in our obedience class, which means I have all the correct commands. On the downside, that was about 11 years ago. LOL.

p.s. I didn't realize getting the CD was difficult. I was told it is pretty easy. Hmm.....
 
On the upside, all the stuff you listed were what we learned in our obedience class, which means I have all the correct commands. On the downside, that was about 11 years ago. LOL.

p.s. I didn't realize getting the CD was difficult. I was told it is pretty easy. Hmm.....

You don't just get your CD the first time you pass. If I remember right you have to pass three different Novice trials each with a different judge to get your CD. Of course as you advance the tasks become much harder (and there are some jumps, I think. But I think it is in Obedience Utility). I am not sure what Novice B deals with. I am sure Justicemom could tell more about it when she comes on. Her dogs do good in Obedience.

Obedience is fun, but it is like agility - you don't get an E for effort and pass. :biggrin2::lol: When I started I was not sure what obedience would consist of. I thought we'll do some sits, downs, recall, and that would be it.

Wrong. :wink2:
 
I'm not sure about obedience, but in Rally if the sign says "down" and there is no "halt" in front of it, the dog has to go straight to a down position. They are not supposed to sit before they lay down. Just a straight down.
Bailey had a little trouble with this because I always made her sit first. She still hesitates when I say "down". She lays down very slowly and will sit for 1/2 a second before she actually lays down.
 
Back
Top