Our First Tornado

Lysette85

Forums Enthusiast
Yep, Central NYS had a tornado rip through 10 miles...me being right in the middle of it. This is highly unusual for rhis part NYS but then again ALL the weather we've been having is unusual.

I got home from work at 3:30. I took my pups out to potty and at 3:38 I heard an odd sounding fire alarm (like at a fire station). Theres a fire station 3 blocks away but i've never heard it go off before. My Little Bear howled along with it for the first time ever (I didn't think he knew how!) I looked at the weather and sure enough there was a Tornado Warning. I scoffed at it..thinking "yeah right". Well, 10 minutes later as I watched the storm begin to approach I began to wonder how bad it would be.

All of a sudden we were hit with a wall of wind and rain. I took the dogs inside (who wanted to actually stay outside!) Lightening and thunder were constant. The wind wasn't howling, it was roaring. I've never heard or felt anything like it. Surprisingly, my dogs were completely relaxed about the whole thing. Perhaps it's because I wasn't afraid...it was more of an exhilarating feeling BC I've always been fascinated by severe weather. Within 10 minutes water was up over the grill of my car. After it was over, I walked out to the street and water came up to just below my knees. Tree limbs were everywhere, trees were uprooted and laying on houses, front yards, backyards and brought down power lines. For the next 4 hours all that could be heard was fire trucks, police sirens, and chain saws. My property survived unscathed. There were lines down all up and down my street but somehow my power did nothing more than flicker a couple times. A state of emergency has been issued.

Three days later it still looks like a war zone. Tops of buildings missing downtown, street lights aren't working, causing accidents by drivers not paying attention. Cars crushed my trees remain at the curb. As I drive around town seeing how bad other people had it, it really made me thankful that nobody was hurt and nothing happened to my house or my babies. It was a crazy day, but everybody in my household (2 shelties and 2 cats) amazingly didn't bat an eyelash. If anything they were begging to go out! Silly pups!
 
Last edited:
I went to SUNY ALBANY and we had an earthquake. I'm proud to say I actually slept thru it, but, yes, its' very unusual.
 
We had a 5.5 magnitude earthquake last year here. It originated in Virginia I believe. I didn't feel a thing, either!
 
I lived through the deadly tornado in Barrie ON in 1985. This is something I never want to experience again.

Glad all of you are ok.
 
I lived through the deadly tornado in Barrie ON in 1985. This is something I never want to experience again.

Glad all of you are ok.

I wouldn't remember that one because I wasnt born until late 85'. That must have been so scary to have a storm that deadly come through! This particular storm was only an EF1 or 2. Although we had severe damage all around my block, I can't imagine 110 mph winds not doing more damage right here. Downtown was much worse, so I don't think think it came right up my street. I think it was the next street over.

My sister just reminded me of a storm from when I was 5 years old. I lived in Watkins Glen, NY there were 2 or 3 twisters that came together right across Seneca Lake. I don't really remember anything besides it being windy and my mother being very upset and grabbing my sister and I and going into a closet.

I have thought about becoming a meteorologist and focusing on severe weather but since I've never really experienced a deadly storm I really don't know how I would feel about it.
 
Ours was an F4 I think they finally classified it as. This was before they had the warning system they have now. A block from us, five people were killed. I can remember coming out of the house, looking across the major highway at the fairgrounds and what they called the Allanadale section - wiped out. We only had a bit of stuff thrown around the yard. If it had hit us directly, we wouldn't have had a chance.
 
Ours was an F4 I think they finally classified it as. This was before they had the warning system they have now. A block from us, five people were killed. I can remember coming out of the house, looking across the major highway at the fairgrounds and what they called the Allanadale section - wiped out. We only had a bit of stuff thrown around the yard. If it had hit us directly, we wouldn't have had a chance.

Geez, that just gave me chills-literally.
 
I remember the Barrie tornado well. We drove past the destruction on our way to Sudbury a day or two after it happened. It made me ill just to look at it from the highway.
Glad to hear you and your family are okay Lysette.
 
Oh wow! Glad you and the pups are okay and that your property survived too. No photos? lol. Weather is really getting strange.

Hopefully, everything will get back to normal sooner rather than later. I know it can take awhile to get things cleaned up though.

I think I'll take the earthquakes and newer tsunami/water spout warnings we get in CA. Not sure I could deal with a tornado.
 
Oh wow! Glad you and the pups are okay and that your property survived too. No photos? lol. Weather is really getting strange.

Hopefully, everything will get back to normal sooner rather than later. I know it can take awhile to get things cleaned up though.

I think I'll take the earthquakes and newer tsunami/water spout warnings we get in CA. Not sure I could deal with a tornado.

I do have some pictures of course :lol: Just haven't been on my 'real' computer today. I can't seem to upload photos with my iphone. Here's some pics from the storm. Some I took, and some are from other residents or news. I posted a video of the flooding at my house-the water was up to just below my knees at the intersection. Can't believe we went from severe drought to severe flooding in just 10 minutes! The other video is from a couple blocks over from me AS THE STORM WAS HAPPENING! I can't believe they stayed outside for that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtzzLCMD6k8

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/lysette85/July%2026%202012/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaNCRw2p-k&feature=plcp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top