Pain medication for spay or neuter

Thanks, Lisa! Knowing that Finnie and Liam are distantly related and share many similar temperament traits, I know you understand my reluctance to put him into stressful situations. He has never been away from me.
I am going to put his new onesie on this weekend to get him used to it. Also, will be putting his blowup collar on too. Hopefully, all will go well. Fingers crossed that he bounces back from his surgery as quickly as Finnie!

Thinking about it... the reason we all love our shelties so much is due to their sweetness and kindness... I guess we mirror their traits! That is why we have such a compassionate side!
 
We loved the blow up collar here and actually ended up just putting it on and leaving it on - Brodie used it as a pillow and wasn't bothered with it at all. We figured since he wasn't bothered, it was better than on and off with it all the time.

Yes, we were sent home with medication, but I have the leftovers locked up in my attic so I can't be sure exactly what. I do know he was given a heavier pain med for the first 2 days and was told around the clock - keep him comfy and quiet those first few days and then a lower dose to use as needed after that. He was given a bit of anti-nausea med for the first 2 days because he became a tad nauseated after surgery and they didn't want him straining to barf. He was given a anti-inflammatory that I believe was for 5 - 7 days. He had a mix of liquid and pills - tolerated all well.

To be honest, the HARDEST thing was keeping him quiet. We did alternate having the dogs in their kennel, one in/one out, those first 2 weeks. Our vet wanted Brodie kept from heavy duty play for 14 days cuz he gets a tad psycho with Kooper and playing fetch. That was SOOOO hard. And actually, we had to extend his stitch removal day from Thursday at 2 weeks to Saturday. By the 2nd Sunday, I admit to tossing a stick, just a few feet, because he was literally driving us crazy! He was perfectly healed up and running around like mad the day he had his stitches removed.

Brodie squatted to pee the day he came home from his neuter, think it was being off balance and not wanting to lift the leg. He was back to squatting 100% of the time, with an occasional leg left while squatting, after day 3. He has never marked in the house since his neuter, thank goodness! And he no longer marks on our back deck! Yeah!!!
 
Jesse was given Metacam and Gabapentin (sp?). I discontinued it after 3 days as he was in no pain and I don't like giving any more drugs than absolutely needed.
 
Minnie seems to intuitively know that she had surgery and needs to take it easy. She's had a short walk yesterday and today, but when we get home she goes right in her pen, comes out for water, food. She's eating well. It's been just three days, so she'll want to get more active I'm sure. Sandstorm has been great, it's as if he knows too, he's sniffing her more. Cute! We've had no issues with the onesie, Minnie keeps it on and is not fighting with it at all. I feel confident that when she's home alone with Sandstorm on Tuesday she'll be fine, my niece will come and check on her. I think by Thursday she can go without the onesie on, Friday she gets her stitches out.
 
Karen - Good to get a good update :wink2:
- yes, all our major concerns were fortunately without cause.
I remember it so clearly I think I have
the longest thread on SN around Minnie´s Sterilization :hide

Karen I would only take it of her -when she is monitored
rather have it on a few extra days.

There can be some moisture around the stings
we may not notice but the dog can smell and start licking.
 
Minnie seems to intuitively know that she had surgery and needs to take it easy. She's had a short walk yesterday and today, but when we get home she goes right in her pen, comes out for water, food. She's eating well. It's been just three days, so she'll want to get more active I'm sure. Sandstorm has been great, it's as if he knows too, he's sniffing her more. Cute! We've had no issues with the onesie, Minnie keeps it on and is not fighting with it at all. I feel confident that when she's home alone with Sandstorm on Tuesday she'll be fine, my niece will come and check on her. I think by Thursday she can go without the onesie on, Friday she gets her stitches out.
Thanks for the detailed overview of Minnie’s spay. Sandstorm is being so good! His little sister is not feeling well and he wants to comfort her. Amazing that she is keeping herself calm. Bet you can’t wait for those stitches to be out! Keep us updated on how she is doing!

I am so glad I work from home to monitor Liam!
 
Back
Top