Parvo-Like Deaths in Michigan

How very scary! From what I read some of the early test results did show parvo and that it appeared to come from Louisiana. Apparently they don’t report to the state when a dog gets Parvo so the actual number of dogs that have died is not certain nut they believe it’s between 15-25. Parvo can live for such a long time outdoors!
 
So far, around 30 dogs have died from this. Most tested negative for Parvo initially. I am so glad I didn't hear about this a week ago. Both Flurry and Checkers had bloody liquid diarrhea for 10 days. My vets couldn't figure out what it was or find a reason, and Metronidazole didn't help a bit. It was horrible. Thankfully, no one else has caught it but I sure would have been a nervous wreck if I'd heard this.
 
My Jesse was extremely sick two weeks ago with what the vet diagnosed as HGE and said there was no known cause, but boy it sure sounds similar to this. He started out with vomiting and rapidly went downhill with bloody diarrhea and then just blood and extreme lethargy. I got him to the vet the first day before he was extremely ill and they gave him metro and some subq fluids and sent him home. After he became very ill overnight, I took him back and they kept him for the day and gave him IV fluids with antibiotics. He was still very ill for several days, but slowly got better. He wouldn't eat so they gave me some appetite stimulant for him and some special food. He was also on Meto, Sulfacrate, and Cerenia. His poops are still not back to normal, but his energy and personality are back. It was very scary. I never had a dog that sick. I kinda lost it crying the second time I had to take him into the vet because he was so sick. I thought I was going to lose him.
 
My Jesse was extremely sick two weeks ago with what the vet diagnosed as HGE and said there was no known cause, but boy it sure sounds similar to this. He started out with vomiting and rapidly went downhill with bloody diarrhea and then just blood and extreme lethargy. I got him to the vet the first day before he was extremely ill and they gave him metro and some subq fluids and sent him home. After he became very ill overnight, I took him back and they kept him for the day and gave him IV fluids with antibiotics. He was still very ill for several days, but slowly got better. He wouldn't eat so they gave me some appetite stimulant for him and some special food. He was also on Meto, Sulfacrate, and Cerenia. His poops are still not back to normal, but his energy and personality are back. It was very scary. I never had a dog that sick. I kinda lost it crying the second time I had to take him into the vet because he was so sick. I thought I was going to lose him.
That’s terrible and must’ve been terrifying for you as well! I’m so glad he’s on the mend!
 
Back
Top