Puppy showing

Herd4fun

Forums Enthusiast
Ok, so I'm definitely getting my new Cambria girl, just got word that she is drawing up the contract for me. Now to get ready for shows. The question is for those of you that go to alot of shows(I've only been to one and only made it to the tail end) Do most, few, almost none have puppy divisions at their AKC events? Saratoga Kennel Club is having a puppy show the same week they are doing their mid summer derby show and I havn't heard back from them on it yet.

Also, while on the subject, should I bring her to shows even if there arent puppy divisions to help get her socialized to them?
 
Hi! Most Sheltie specialty shows have puppy classes. Puppies must be six months to enter. Also, most shows do not welcome Shelties that are not entered, or any other canine non-entrants.
 
Don't worry, puppies 6 months and up are eligible for conformation competition at all regular AKC shows!

Some shows will have a special "Best Puppy" competition, just for fun, which is what I think you're talking about. After the conclusion of regular judging for the breed (ie. Best of Breed is over), the winners of the puppy classes compete for Best Puppy in Breed. They later reconvene for Best Puppy in each group, and then Best Puppy in Show. You don't get any points towards the pup's championship, but it's fun.

As for bringing her to shows to hang out... unentered dogs are usually not allowed to come to shows, but once she's had all her shots, it would be a good idea to bring her to some outdoor shows, or quiet indoor Specialties, just to hang out. Taking her to indoor shows at her age would likely be too much noise.
 
Do most, few, almost none have puppy divisions at their AKC events?

There are a few classes for puppies.

All AKC shows are required to have a puppy class. That can be 6-9 months, 9-12 months, or a combined 6-12 months. These are regular classes competing for championship points. Some clubs award best puppy, and they do puppy groups.

Some AKC shows given by Specialty Clubs will have a puppy sweepstakes, which is a non-regular class judged by a non-AKC judge. These are usually in the morning before regular classes, and sometimes there is money involved. Specialties tend to be smaller, quieter and have only Shelties.

You need to find the premium list for the shows you want to enter, it will have all the available classes listed.

As for non-entered dogs, this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. At the ASSA National last year, they kept saying over the loudspeaker "In accordance with AKC rules, there are to be no unentered dogs on the show grounds." WRONG. AKC rules state no ineligible dogs may be on show grounds, which are dogs under 6 months of age. It is up to the individual club whether to allow unentered dogs. At the specialty I chair, I do allow unentered dogs over 6 months old. I want you to bring your dog and socialize it. Some clubs have hissy fits about unentered dogs though, which just means you have to be slick about it.
 
Have any of you entered a 6 month old puppy? The show's I'm considering are all breed back to back to back to back shows (a week of shows by all the local clubs, makes for big shows) She will be easily 6 months old but I'm not sure I'd be so inclined to enter her, maybe enter one or two of the days just to get some experience. Although at this point I may just be looking for ways to chicken out. Could probably use some confidence for this. *panics and looks for a handling class*
 
oh, also, is the premium list the one that is on the AKC Event search? or would I find that at info dog?
 
Have any of you entered a 6 month old puppy? The show's I'm considering are all breed back to back to back to back shows (a week of shows by all the local clubs, makes for big shows) She will be easily 6 months old but I'm not sure I'd be so inclined to enter her, maybe enter one or two of the days just to get some experience. Although at this point I may just be looking for ways to chicken out. Could probably use some confidence for this. *panics and looks for a handling class*

Rachel(Diva's co owner) entered Diva when she was 6 months. We didn't expect much just went for fun and to get her out there. She did get best puppy and Group 1 puppy which was cool. Rachel's other puppy got 2 pts his first time out at 6 months.
 
oh, also, is the premium list the one that is on the AKC Event search? or would I find that at info dog?

I've never used the AKC events search. :smile2: If the show is superintended by MB-F, the premium will be on infodog. If it's not, they usually link to the super that has the information.

I would not do all four days, that's a lot for adult dogs. I would be inclined to enter her the third or fourth day, and sneak her in a couple of days before just to walk around and get used to things.
 
How about this idea...show her day 1 and day 3. That way, she will still be in show grooming coat condition and trim, and you won't have to re-bath her.
(This is aways on my mind). That way you won't feel like you need to keep her clean, and after day 3, she can go "Yahoo..I'm a dirty puppy again!":lol:
 
Back
Top