Puppy showing

That might work, but on the third day after the real show there is going to be a fun just puppies match that I was gonna put her in. Do you think a day of real showing and then a fun match would be too much?
 
How about this idea...show her day 1 and day 3. That way, she will still be in show grooming coat condition and trim, and you won't have to re-bath her.
(This is aways on my mind). That way you won't feel like you need to keep her clean, and after day 3, she can go "Yahoo..I'm a dirty puppy again!":lol:

And I refuse to trim, We are supposed to show in natural condition, and I'm going to do that. If it costs me points so be it, but I'd rather have her win honestly than because she had a bit of makeup on.
 
And I refuse to trim, We are supposed to show in natural condition, and I'm going to do that. If it costs me points so be it, but I'd rather have her win honestly than because she had a bit of makeup on.

ummm not to sound harsh but if you refuse to trim you minds well save your money and not enter...If you have an unkept looking sheltie you also may be excused from the ring...
 
I refuse to trim, not to brush, I spend massive amounts of time brushing, but the only trimming thats supposed to occur is lightly on the ears, and to shape the feet and take out the whiskers. Anything else is attempting to make the dog look like something its not.
 
Well, Lightplum, you beat me to the "submit reply" button. I have to agree, if you don't want to trim your dog, save your $28 for each show entered.

It is very subliminal. What is pleasing to the eye (that would be the judges) is usually what is correct. They only have 2 minutes for individual evaluation, and if they have to use their imagination to guess what the head planes are like under the voluminous head fuzz, they will pass you by. A clean trimmed head and feet finish the dog. Also, the judge will be looking at balance of structure from halfway across the ring. The overall balance of your dog is a key critical evaluation. Your puppy's coat does not grow in a balanced symmetrical way. (oh how we wish!). In your free time, look over my albumn, and see the pictures of Robbie. Notice the flowing outline. Of course, the judge puts their hands all over the dog to feel the structure, and the fur follows the structure but not evenly. Look at the posts about big furry butts on puppies that make them look high in the rear. They're not, it's just fur. Which would be more pleasing to a judge, a level topline where the rear is not higher then the withers and shows overall balance, or the same dog out of balance because the butt hair grows so thick?

I applaud your idea of au natural, but to compete, you must be competitive.
 
Last edited:
Doesn't UCK require no "products" and natural look? That sounds perfect for this little guy! :yes:
 
Doesn't UCK require no "products" and natural look? That sounds perfect for this little guy! :yes:

I show UKC as well (I have the #1 UKC Sheltie right now, it won't last long. :smile2: my next shows are in May, people are bound to catch up) and my dogs are always clean, brushed, *and* trimmed. They are not chalked, though.

Not wanting to chalk is one thing, but the dog has to be trimmed. Having horns around the ears, rabbit feet and hairy faces is not the look you want. I made a statement last month about whiskers, and left them on my dog for an AKC show. His breeder/co-owner was horrified. I was amused, and I lost. :razz:
 
I show UKC as well (I have the #1 UKC Sheltie right now, it won't last long. :smile2: my next shows are in May, people are bound to catch up) and my dogs are always clean, brushed, *and* trimmed. They are not chalked, though.

Not wanting to chalk is one thing, but the dog has to be trimmed. Having horns around the ears, rabbit feet and hairy faces is not the look you want. I made a statement last month about whiskers, and left them on my dog for an AKC show. His breeder/co-owner was horrified. I was amused, and I lost. :razz:

They do have to be and I plan on trimming feet, ears and whiskers, what I meant by I refuse to trim, is the basic body. If the dog needs to be sculpted just to get there, than it doesn't belong there.
 
Back
Top