Questions about a breeder for a new puppy

jerros

Forums Enthusiast
Hi, I haven't introduced myself yet on this forum. But theres really no better way to introduce myself than asking questions :)

I have wanted to get a puppy for years, but up until now my life hasn't really allowed me the time I know it would take to raise/train and care for a puppy. And I sort of fell in love with a sheltie that my ex-girlfriend owned.

So I've recently started looking around for a good breeder and attempting to get on their waiting list. While on my search I ran across a online ad from a local breeder. Now normally this would send "Puppy mill" flags off in my head but after doing some research I've found out that this person has previously provided a number of puppies to other reputable breeders in the area.

Still there are some odd things I'm noticing in the contract that I wanted to run by these knowledgeable people on the forums.

Is it normal for a breeder to offer a 72 hr window to return the puppy if it has health problems after a vet inspection?

And also is it normal for a breeder to offer a 2 year genetic gaurentee?
 
72 hours after purchase for returns if there are health issues are pretty standard it seems.
Now, on the genetic guarantee it varies... I see mostly either 5 year, or lifetime.
 
The contract info doesn't sound unusual to me.

I also like a stipulation that the pup may not ever be surrendered to a shelter; and may return to the breeder if the owner cannot continue to provide it a home.
 
Thanks for the information. I think perhaps I'm just getting overly suspicious in my old age.

In the past I had a Cocker Spaniel puppy that came from a reputable local breeder. They did a great job raising the puppy and it was so incredibly smart, obediant and loving. Unfortunately one day my father decided to take the puppy out off his leash, which turned out to be a recipie for disaster when he spotted a rabbit across the street.

I was pretty much inconsolable at that point, and my parents rushed out to find another puppy who looked just like the one we had just lost. And in their rush they didn't really spend much time looking for a reputable breeder. They brought home this new puppy, who spent his first two weeks with us ill. After he got better he turned out to have a number of real problems caused by poor socialization, some which we were able to adjust and others which we couldn't.

I'm trying to be wise and cautious this time around. I don't want to jump at the first puppy I see, though their little puppy faces are often irresistable.


Thanks again.
 
Just my opinion, but I too, would question an online ad for puppies. I don't get the part about providing puppies to reputable breeders. Is this just what they told you, and it sounds good? Reputable breeders don't need other peoples puppies, unless they are prospective show dogs, and showing dogs is their main focus. I REALLY question a "quality breeding program" that advertises their puppies online or in a newspaper. Breeders that have websites, put pups "available" on their site. Or, if they don't have a website, it is by word of mouth and networking with other breeders in their area. Make sure you see all testing paperwork, and ask for the name and phone number of their vet. Call the vet for a reference.
 
Just my opinion, but I too, would question an online ad for puppies. I don't get the part about providing puppies to reputable breeders. Is this just what they told you, and it sounds good? Reputable breeders don't need other peoples puppies, unless they are prospective show dogs, and showing dogs is their main focus. I REALLY question a "quality breeding program" that advertises their puppies online or in a newspaper. Breeders that have websites, put pups "available" on their site. Or, if they don't have a website, it is by word of mouth and networking with other breeders in their area. Make sure you see all testing paperwork, and ask for the name and phone number of their vet. Call the vet for a reference.

Agree with Miss Jenny. Reputable breeders tend not to post in want ads unless a couple of people back out, and even then its rare. I found my breeder by going to a breed club, and then my second breeder by going back in my first dogs pedegree and going directly to those breeders. Try going to the ASSA website, they have a list of breeders by state(but not all) if those breeders dont have a puppy go to your local specialty clubs.

As for the contract thats pretty standard for around my area for most breeds, but I would advise that you have a vet appointment the DAY AFTER you pick up the pup, you'll want to make that before you even go to pick up the pup.

And I'm sure if you tell us what area your in some of us could provide you with reputable breeders, and they'd be more willing to sell you a pup if they know you know someone they've given a pup to before.
 
I agree, online sounds a little odd, but at least the contract seems to be pointing to the right areas. What do you know about the sire and dam? Have they any championships?

As Granite (Janet) said, the contract should also stipulate that if for any reason you have to give the dog up, then back to the breeder it goes.
 
well, there is degree and there is degree... what exactly are you looking for? next show dog?performance athlete? companion?
I see no problem with placing ads on line or otherwise, how else people who are not " in the know" can find good pup not from puppy mill?
Above else I want a healthy dog who will be easy to live with.....
Generally health short and long term mentioning in the contract is the good thing, means people do care what kind of pups they are growing...
what I DO care is how their dogs looks like, how they move, do they look healthy, how the parent dog behave, what is the breeder's idea on their nutrition, how clean and thoughtful dog's life is...
agree completely it is easy to fall for cute pup face...
why I put such an emphasis on movement is because structurally correct dog will have less health issues down the road... and no, you do not have to be educated breeder to be able to see difference in movement of well built pup from the not so well structured...
 
Um, don't mean to sound silly here, but I don't know of any show breeder out there that doesn't advertise their puppies in some sort of ad online. And, I know quite a few.... most smaller breeders, but a few quite well known. Honestly to get your name out there you've got to start somewhere. No, you want find there names right beside a puppy mill advertisement, but there are sights out there. Everything Shelties is pretty much a show breeders only advertisement website for one. Shelties Online is another place you will find where reputable breeders advertise there own personal banner. That is to name a few of the most popular... and there are others. One of my greatest friends advertises there and in a local newspaper in NC. She has CH's and has recently had her first homebred. Another only needs a major to finish. So, please don't think ever breeder that post in the newspaper, or online is rotten.
 
Back
Top