Rally weekend for Cran 10-12 Aug 2018

we had a course one time where you took the jump and then you came past it with the dog closest to the jump. that judge specifically told us that if our agility dogs (all the dogs in that class also did agility), that it would just be an out of position deduction.
Cran did get frustrated at one of our spring trials- he was supposed to be doing the left about turn and didn't get it so he went and took the jump because he knew he could do that- surprised the judge that he did that- and me. we lost a few points for that one.......
so you can recover:yes:
Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt to correct it myself, - because really, if I pass by a jump, and the jump is right in my dog's line, I expect them to take it. So while I know it's something that can be trained, I want my dogs to take the obstacle in front of them unless I indicate something different. And me walking right by it SHOULD indicate it. But I won't lie, agility is more important to me than rally, so.......
 
There WAS food in the dishes when we had that - and naturally Skylar raced right over to it and somehow managed to suck some of the cookies through the grate before I could grab her - which then rewarded her for her behavior, thereby virtually guaranteeing that she will go for it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!!!

yeah- that'll be a problem. that's amazing that she got the cookies out- that's why the bowls are supposed to be covered....
maybe practice with the bowls and no cones so that your figure 8 is all around the bowls- cookie her with her favorite while she's watching you and heeling and not looking at the bowls.
 
yeah- that'll be a problem. that's amazing that she got the cookies out- that's why the bowls are supposed to be covered....
maybe practice with the bowls and no cones so that your figure 8 is all around the bowls- cookie her with her favorite while she's watching you and heeling and not looking at the bowls.
Skylar is an amazing creature when it comes to nabbing food ;-)

Honestly, again, for me, agility is going to trump rally - and right now we are using food dishes to train her contacts - so I actually DO want her to head for a food dish if she sees one so she comes all the way down the contact equipment safely. Though it totally kills the rally performance. Oh well. One she has her contacts really solid we'll train her not looking at the bowls.
 
Skylar is an amazing creature when it comes to nabbing food ;-)

Honestly, again, for me, agility is going to trump rally - and right now we are using food dishes to train her contacts - so I actually DO want her to head for a food dish if she sees one so she comes all the way down the contact equipment safely. Though it totally kills the rally performance. Oh well. One she has her contacts really solid we'll train her not looking at the bowls.

we're using the Treat and Train for the contacts so no food bowls in agility- for the other dogs, Cran doesn't do standard anymore.....
 
Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt to correct it myself, - because really, if I pass by a jump, and the jump is right in my dog's line, I expect them to take it. So while I know it's something that can be trained, I want my dogs to take the obstacle in front of them unless I indicate something different. And me walking right by it SHOULD indicate it. But I won't lie, agility is more important to me than rally, so.......

well, really if the dog is heeling and watching you, they should not take that jump unless you tell them to- either verbally or with a send cue, walking past it does not necessarily indicate that they should take the jump. Cran's first course at the RNC, the jump was right in front of him and we were turning right and not taking the jump then. I haven't watched very many of the other runs in that ring so I don't know if dogs did take that jump. He sure looked at it though....

so this is the video where he got frustrated and took the jump- it really wasn't in his line- I found the post about the trial but I never uploaded the videos... bad poster....

The one that Dixie had- I told her heel so she looked at me and did not take the jump. I don't think I have video of that one- it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Agility is different and they know the difference- you aren't running in rally which does get the dog more excited. You use more body language in agility, rally is mostly all forward motion except for the backup sign.
 
I did not see any food (there's supposed to be food or toys)- but it's a bowl, there could be food in there. He's terrible about that sign. Last summer, the judge put a toy in one and cookies in the other. towards the end of that course, he still wanted to go the food bowl:gaah
keep practicing, it gets better but it is easy to forget what is required at each sign.......

OMG ... that is nuts!!! Talk about tempting fate!!!
 
well, really if the dog is heeling and watching you, they should not take that jump unless you tell them to- either verbally or with a send cue, walking past it does not necessarily indicate that they should take the jump. Cran's first course at the RNC, the jump was right in front of him and we were turning right and not taking the jump then. I haven't watched very many of the other runs in that ring so I don't know if dogs did take that jump. He sure looked at it though....

so this is the video where he got frustrated and took the jump- it really wasn't in his line- I found the post about the trial but I never uploaded the videos... bad poster....

The one that Dixie had- I told her heel so she looked at me and did not take the jump. I don't think I have video of that one- it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Agility is different and they know the difference- you aren't running in rally which does get the dog more excited. You use more body language in agility, rally is mostly all forward motion except for the backup sign.
It's probably a training issue. For me, walking (running) past a jump, means take the jump unless I've told you otherwise. But like I said, agility is more important to me. If I was really training hard in rally I would probably find it important to train them walking by the jump ;-) I just haven't bothered to really work on it, to be honest! But you're right!
 
we're using the Treat and Train for the contacts so no food bowls in agility- for the other dogs, Cran doesn't do standard anymore.....
We're using hot dogs to make sure she goes to the bottom of the contacts - which would get pretty messy in a Treat and Train ;-)
 
Back
Top