Rimadyl

Thanx Justicemom for your input as well. However, given Emma's response to medications, I am reluctant to even give the NSAID. Working in a surgeon's office, I know there are differences in meds and why meds should be given, but I also want to do the best for Emma and not lose her to a medication like I did Noah, the Sheltie I lost last November. (He was on an NSAID for a week for a limp- I lost him two weeks later unexpectedly to a GI bleed).
 
Emma will be seven months on the 21st. She certainly doesn't appear to be in pain, so I am not going to give it to her unless I have to. I don't relish a rush trip to the vets with an unwanted reaction. She moving around fine - just had to put the collar on her as she is a licker. Thanx for your input.

Bailey was 7 months as well. I hope Emma continues to do well and has an easy recovery. The hardest part is trying to keep them calm. good luck!
 
Thanx Justicemom for your input as well. However, given Emma's response to medications, I am reluctant to even give the NSAID. Working in a surgeon's office, I know there are differences in meds and why meds should be given, but I also want to do the best for Emma and not lose her to a medication like I did Noah, the Sheltie I lost last November. (He was on an NSAID for a week for a limp- I lost him two weeks later unexpectedly to a GI bleed).

Aw I'm sorry about Noah. :( I certainly understand your concern especially with the lost. May I ask what NSAID it was? I have a feeling.
 
I would only give it if she is in significant pain. Tully managed without pain killers after her spay, Deska needed painkillers/NSAID though - he was on meloxicam.

Recently Deska was on Rimadyl for a couple of weeks for his shoulder/back injury. He had diarrhea the entire time. He came off it a couple of days ago and has been limping badly again, so seeing the vet tomorrow for something a little milder on his stomach.
 
Thanx Caro. It's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't give pain med. She doesn't seem to be in pain. In fact, right now she is trying to run in the house and acts like nothing is wrong. Ate well this morning for a change - she usually only eats in the afternoon.
 
It's better to stay ahead of the pain with the meds than try to catch up with the pain.

Megan was given Rimadyl also after her spay and vulvoplasty surgery and she did perfectly fine. Short term usage as Dr. Shelli said is usually not an issue. If you're concerned about giving Rimadyl, I would ask your Vet for an alternative pain med because MOST dogs notoriously hide there pain from you. :wink2:
 
It's better to stay ahead of the pain with the meds than try to catch up with the pain.

Megan was given Rimadyl also after her spay and vulvoplasty surgery and she did perfectly fine. Short term usage as Dr. Shelli said is usually not an issue. If you're concerned about giving Rimadyl, I would ask your Vet for an alternative pain med because MOST dogs notoriously hide there pain from you. :wink2:

Unfortunately Emma is notorious already for wierd reactions to medications. Even with a light dose of med yesterday, her skin all went bright red - which the vet cannot explain unless it was a different type of reaction to one of the meds. :confused2: Given this, I am not sure I want to put her on any painkiller - she is acting normal and her eyes are bright and clear (she is very expressive and I can tell when she is not feeling well). In fact, she is trying to run as normal, which she would not be doing if she was in pain.:smile2:
 
Back
Top