salmonella?

Hi Bellesmom I feed Crouton raw and have been doing it for about 5 years she hasn't ever caught salmonella poisoning except, I suspect, we both did only once when it was my mistake of catching mackerel of the pier and leaving it the bucket without gutting it and without ice while catching more. So when we both ate fish dinner that night (her's raw and mine fried) we both had bouts of vomitting and diahrrea :uhoh:. And whereas hers only lasted 2 days mine lasted 1 horrible week.

But dogs have a shorter intestinal tract than humans and I think that healthy raw fed dogs have higher acid content in their stomach that will kill bacteria. Also I think that processed meat and kibble has a higher percentage of salmonella because it is ground and macerated therefore more surface area equals more room for bacteria to live in. There is also the added concern about their processing techniques because the more it is handled the more room for error.

I found this quote from the website rawfed.com

"Dogs are surprisingly well-equipped to deal with bacteria. Their saliva has antibacterial properties; it contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses and destroys harmful bacteria. Their short digestive tract is designed to push through food and bacteria quickly without giving bacteria time to colonize. The extremely acidic environment in the gut is also a good bacteria colonization deterrent. People often point to the fact that dogs shed salmonella in their feces (even kibble-fed dogs do this) without showing any ill effects as proof that the dog is infected with salmonella. In reality, all this proves is that the dog has effectively passed the salmonella through its system with no problems. Yes, the dog can act as a salmonella carrier, but the solution is simple—do not eat dog crap and wash your hands after picking up after your dog."
 
Many of you may have read the recent recall post about Merrick Texas Taffy being recalled due to possible samonella poisoning.

Well I had some of those delivered on Jan 18th. Chandler's recent illness,severe vomiting and diarhea started the evening of the 20th so after talking to my vet yes dogs get samonella poisoning and Chandler had all the classic symptoms and we have come to the conclusion this is what started his downward spiral again. He is still not eating any dog food or for that matter anything that is healthy for him.

I did contact amazon who I purchased the texas Taffy from and they issued a refund. I also contacted Merrick and faxed all 3 of the vet bills I have incurred since this started. They will be putting them in for approval so let's see if they pay them.

Please keep us posted about the refund. I will be very impressed if they stand by you and pay the bills! :yes:
 
Did anyone else find out about the salmonella thing? I'd love to feed Nova raw chicken instead of dried dog food. Not many dogs are fed raw food, so I would imagine that very few veterinarians would know an answer to that question.
 
Did anyone else find out about the salmonella thing? I'd love to feed Nova raw chicken instead of dried dog food. Not many dogs are fed raw food, so I would imagine that very few veterinarians would know an answer to that question.

We have quite a few raw feeders on this forum, including a veterinarian, that I am sure will be able to give you advice.
 
Did anyone else find out about the salmonella thing? I'd love to feed Nova raw chicken instead of dried dog food. Not many dogs are fed raw food, so I would imagine that very few veterinarians would know an answer to that question.

There are more than a few threads on raw feeding. If you are worried about every single possible germ, then raw is not for you. If you just want to hand your dog meat, then check out those threads. A raw diet has to consist of more than just chicken, there should be a variety of whole foods.
 
So yes, my dogs eat raw chicken, and pork, and venison, and beef, and kibble, and cheese, and eggs. No skin problems, no digestive problems, clean teeth. A vet's worst nightmare. :smile2:

Is that entirely necessary?
I actually would prefer my patients to be healthy , rather than ill, and do whatever I can to keep them so. Like every other veterinarian I have ever known.
Yes, I realize that mantras such as 'veterinarians recommend kibble because it makes dogs sick and increases their profits' are standard every day fare on the BARF boards, but I confess that I find gratuitous slams on the profession less amusing than they do. - Dr. Mac
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually dogs can get very sick from digging up buried bones. I have many a vet bill to prove it.

Dogs can get salmonella poisoning so it is important how you handle the food. Its the same with all of us, its all in the handling and processing. Some foods carry high levels of salmonella and other bacteria and need to be handled with extra care. As Dani mentioned freezing the meat first will help reduce the bacteria loading. Most dogs I know have some raw in their diet (like chicken wings or necks) and as long as the food is handled correctly most cope fine.
 
Is that entirely necessary?
I actually would prefer my patients to be healthy , rather than ill, and do whatever I can to keep them so. Like every other veterinarian I have ever known.
Yes, I realize that mantras such as 'veterinarians recommend kibble because it makes dogs sick and increases their profits' are standard every day fare on the BARF boards, but I confess that I find gratuitous slams on the profession less amusing than they do. - Dr. Mac

I don't believe veterinarians want to keep dogs sick. I'm just saying that I am not a good contributor to his business. The old joke about paying for the veterinarians college/car fund? Doesn't apply here.
 
Back
Top