Selecting a breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbinam

Moderator
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am considering (just CONSIDERING!) getting another dog. Only if it's the perfect fit :) Anyways, I'm not sure that the breeder that I got Bentley from was great (and no, it's not the breeder listed in his registered name) and am looking for a great, responsible breeder.

I'm just wondering how you found your breeder. I know we can't really recommend breeders on this website, but I've found that just googling doesn't give you a great idea of credibility. It's hard, too, because we want to be able to meet the puppy before making a decision, so we don't want it to be too far from us here in Charleston.

Thanks in advance!
 
Maybe try your local AKC's webpage? Ours has listed breeders that are members of the kennel club. :yes: Just because you have registered dogs doesn't make you a member by the way. You have to go through the whole process of having somebody come to your home, pay dues, ect. So if somebody is a member of the kennel club and goes through all of that it's likely they are going to be a good breeder I would think.
 
Looking for a Breeder

Well, a good place to start would be through the American Shetland Sheepdog (www.ASSA.org) breeder referral. Also www.sheltiesonline.com, a WONDERFUL website with sheltie updates, litter announcements and results of specialty shows. It also lists breeders by state.

These are breeders that strive to breed dogs following the sheltie standard as a guide. Having their breeding stock evaluated by knowledgable judges. Doing the health testing before breeding.

Look for a breeder that is a member of their local Shetland Sheepdog club, and hopefully an ASSA member. We agree to a Code of Ethics. These are breeders with integrity and many, many years experience.
Do your homework now, so, down the road, when you are ready, you and your chosen breeder have interviewed each other. Your breeder will be thinking of you when that next litter comes.
 
Keep in mind that a breeder who is a member of the ASSA and/or AKC isn't necessarily reputable. (Puppy mills can have AKC registered dogs.) Both have a code of ethics, but it doesn't cover everything.
 
This is a good question, and difficult to answer. Based on my limited experience, you really need to go with your gut. Does the breeder have "accidental" breedings? Are the dogs healthy? Overweight? Shy? Dirty? Does the breeder seem almost too willing to let you take any dog, or do they try and match the best one with your desires? Do they do other things with their dogs, such as agility, or therapy work, or other types of socialization? Does she allow ample time between breedings? Do they allow their dogs to go through 1 or 2 heat cycles before breeding? Do They limit the # of breedings on each dog?

I will give you an example: I spoke with breeder1 about getting a dog for therapy work, she had a 3 year old for sale but told me very clearly that this dog was not good for what I wanted. Then I spoke with breeder2 who also had an adult for sale and she assured me oh, yes, she loves people and will be great as a therapy dog. Well, despite my misgivings (accidental pregnancies, overweight and overly shy dogs, she actually PUSHED the dog toward me because it was so shy) I took the dog on a trial basis, and ultimately was forced to return her 6 weeks later due to a variety of socialization issues.

Back to breeder2, who knew of breeder1 and the dog, and told me that she would have never allowed me to have such a dog because she knew it would not meet my needs. Needless to say we purchased the perfect dog from breeder2 who is our dearest and most beloved pet family member, and is currently in training to become a therapy dog and agility enthusiast. I plan on going back to breeder2 when we are ready for another one!
 
Keep in mind that a breeder who is a member of the ASSA and/or AKC isn't necessarily reputable. (Puppy mills can have AKC registered dogs.) Both have a code of ethics, but it doesn't cover everything.

After reading what I wrote, it didn't sound right. :uhoh: If somebody doesn't treat their breeding dog like a pet then run away. Dogs are not money making tools. :mad: If they don't keep their dogs inside, walk away. If they have their pets in cages walk away. Ask around! I'm not shy about telling people what I went through. You might not find a good breeder by asking around, but maybe you'll learn which ones to stay away from!

Of course I'm nobody to be giving anybody breeder help. You know I don't want anybody to go through what I've been through! :smile2:
 
ASSA and AKC

Keep in mind that a breeder who is a member of the ASSA and/or AKC isn't necessarily reputable. (Puppy mills can have AKC registered dogs.) Both have a code of ethics, but it doesn't cover everything.

There is merit to what you say about breeders who use the AKC registry, but puppy mills and backyard breeders are not choosing to register there dogs with AKC anymore. The reason is because if you breed more then 10 litters a year, you are subject to an AKC inquiry and visit of facilities. Also, a stud used multple times is required to have a DNA profile on record with AKC.
Now.......can you see that this is weeding out the undesirable breeders? They do not want to incur the added expense, or of having an uninvited guest to their place. There are now several "paper" registries out there, that fit wonderfully with unscrupulas breeders. How about the "CKC"...that would be the Canine Kennel Club, and many more inventive names.

However, before you comment on ASSA member breeders, you might want to look at what it takes to even become a member. 5 years showing or trialing shelties (other breeds don't count). You have to have finished a dog to Championship level in one of the venues, conformation: CH, agaility: MACH,
obedience may have changed from OTCH to another level because of the incredible difficulty in getting this championship title. The herding title required, I am not sure of. Anyway.............................this said, many years of being in the fancy, along with member recommendations, and home inspections are required before you can even apply. Your name is published in the ASSA Bulletin as an applicant, so anyone who has had dealings with you can write for or AGAINST your becoming a member. If all goes well, you are voted on by the membership committee.

If you have a puppy problem with a ASSA member breeder, you should send it in writing to the ASSA board. It will be looked into and addressed. They take this VERY seriously. It is an honor to be a member of ASSA and it sets the standard for all I do with my dogs and how I relate to my companion dog families. Now, jump in anytime all of you........

Connie Nelson
 
missjenneygirl, I do get what you are saying. :yes: There are some puppy mills that give out papers. My puppy was one of those dogs. I wish I knew then what I know now! Not all AKC breeders with papers are bad, and not all are good. I'm glad that they are making it harder to get papers. There needs to be tougher rules for the general public who breed dogs, and there needs to be people to enforce those rules.

I also think people need to become more aware of what puppy mills are. I had never even heard of the words "puppy mill" until I had already make a mistake. People don't realize where those "doggies in the window" come from. If they did I'm sure they would do an about face and walk right out of the pet shop door! Puppy mills aren't just pet shop dogs. I made a terrible mistake, but I wouldn't trade that mistake for anything. :smile2: I learned from that mistake though, and next time I’ll go in knowing better.
 
I have been searching for a breeder for months and have my name on a list now for a puppy. But we did visit 2 well known breeders and both of their houses were filthy and one had even dirty dogs....so we passed on both know they breed really good dogs. It really bothered my that the houses and grounds were not just say not cleaned in a week or so, but looked like years. Guess they are to busy with the dogs.
 
Breeding better dogs

When people tell me they got their sheltie from a pet store or backyard breeder, my only response is "Well, you are the one that will make a difference in this dog's life. How lucky is this little dog to have you!"

Education is the key to stopping this. But when people just breed dogs to make more dogs, because they enjoy having puppies around, and it brings a little income to the family household, they need to think deeper that the puppies they produced can go on and make MANY, MANY more puppies. Very common looking shelties lacking breed type with questionable inherited health issues. Without using the sheltie standard as a guide. I don't understand why these breeders would not want use the standard as a guide, and produce lovely typey shelties. Not only is the sheltie standard a guide for how a sheltie should "look", the essence of it is how the dog is meant to function. The the structure is balanced, so the dog doesn't break down. It is all common sense spelled out.

Within every planned and thoughtout litter there will be companion dogs. Not every puppy is destined to make it to the show ring. And these companion dogs, are the ones you all get. Beautiful healthy dogs. Take a minute and look at the website www.sheltiesonline.com. Scroll down the pictures. There is no reason your sheltie can not look similar to these show dogs, if they come from a REPUTABLE breeder who breeds quality assessed (pointed or champion) dogs. Also for fun go to www.shelhaven.ca, and look at the puppies, and hopefuls page. Then....just think, there are littermates of these lovely little dogs that are now companion dogs. Healthy dogs.

If some of you would like to breed shelties in the future, really learn the breed and the standard. Get a mentor to help you learn the fine nuances of the breed type. It isn't about making more dogs, just ask the sheltie rescue people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top