Selecting a breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is merit to what you say about breeders who use the AKC registry, but puppy mills and backyard breeders are not choosing to register there dogs with AKC anymore. The reason is because if you breed more then 10 litters a year, you are subject to an AKC inquiry and visit of facilities. Also, a stud used multple times is required to have a DNA profile on record with AKC.
Now.......can you see that this is weeding out the undesirable breeders? They do not want to incur the added expense, or of having an uninvited guest to their place. There are now several "paper" registries out there, that fit wonderfully with unscrupulas breeders. How about the "CKC"...that would be the Canine Kennel Club, and many more inventive names.
That would weed out puppy mills, but I coudln't see it weeding out BYBs. No more than 10 litters a year and DNA records are both great policies, but that and the code of ethics isn't all there is to being a reputable breeder. You'd be more likely to find the bad breeders in the other registeries, certainly, but the AKC is generally seen by the masses as the best registry. Thus, many breeders think it would put points in their favor to register with them.

However, before you comment on ASSA member breeders, you might want to look at what it takes to even become a member. 5 years showing or trialing shelties (other breeds don't count). You have to have finished a dog to Championship level in one of the venues, conformation: CH, agaility: MACH,
obedience may have changed from OTCH to another level because of the incredible difficulty in getting this championship title. The herding title required, I am not sure of. Anyway.............................this said, many years of being in the fancy, along with member recommendations, and home inspections are required before you can even apply. Your name is published in the ASSA Bulletin as an applicant, so anyone who has had dealings with you can write for or AGAINST your becoming a member. If all goes well, you are voted on by the membership committee.
If you have a puppy problem with a ASSA member breeder, you should send it in writing to the ASSA board. It will be looked into and addressed. They take this VERY seriously. It is an honor to be a member of ASSA and it sets the standard for all I do with my dogs and how I relate to my companion dog families. Now, jump in anytime all of you........
That's all well and good, but again, there's more to it. A breeder can have winning show dogs, champion herding dogs, etc and still not be the kind of breeder I'd want to buy from. Even the best screening process by a group won't eliminate bad breeders, because everyone has different ideas of what a reputable breeder is/does. For example, some are against the show ring altogether, some think of the show ring as a tool, and some think of the show ring as the most important part of breeding. Some feel that good breeders breed working-type only and that the standard is nothing more than a thing that dogs must meet to be considered beautiful. There are disputes about health-testing as well. (My philosophy on breeding is on my website.)
Would I be more likely to buy from a Sheltie breeder out if they were an ASSA member? Definitely. Would that stop me from checking them out for myself before committing myself to buying from them? Nope.

If some of you would like to breed shelties in the future, really learn the breed and the standard. Get a mentor to help you learn the fine nuances of the breed type. It isn't about making more dogs, just ask the sheltie rescue people.
:yes: Agree completely there.
 
Last edited:
I totaly agree with you. Of course there are questionable member breeders within with any local or national club. I'm just saying it is a benchmark or a starting point when looking for a reputable breeder. You need to do your homework, ask all the questions you want until you are satisfied that the breeder is someone you can go forward with, hopefully building a friendship based on common goals for the puppy they bred and you nurture.
 
I looked into ASSA.....right now I'd be ready to climb Mt Everest before I'd be ready to apply there. I don't have a show dog...I really hope to GET there but I have NO TIME to spend traveling to competitions even if I had the contacts, training, and $$ for a show prospect at this time. Its something I think about starting once I retire though....in 15 years.:eek2:

Anyway, I put my shelties in their own category...I say that we are sheltie companion enthusiasts. I guess the people with more regimented thinking would call us backyard breeders. Ah well, I sleep well at night with all my shelties around me and I know I don't keep them in the backyard! LOL
 
We can all learn more!

Granite,
As a sheltie enthusiast, you can join a local sheltie club for pennies, and meet people that can help you attain your goals. Many, many people breed wonderful correct type shelties, and don't have the money to travel all over for shows. Attend a sheltie specialty in your area, and learn, learn, learn. I have been breeding shelties for 21 years, and yesterday Ann, aka "sheltieholic" and I, attended the Tom Coen (Macdega) seminar in New Hampshire given by the Granite State Shetland Sheepdog Club. It was on the history of the breed all the way up to 2000, with pictures and stories of wonderfully famous dogs, and people, of the past that have contributed to the sheltie type today.
In the afternoon we studied the standard and applied it to dogs that attendents brought. It was an incredible day of learning and sharing breeding theories.

If you love the breed, save some pennies and attend a ASSA National when it is near your area. If you like shelties, and sheltie stuff, you will be immursed in a week of sheltie-dom. All venues, conformation, obedience, herding, and agility takes place. It lasts for one week, with a day of symposiums geared toward better breeding and health issues. An entry of approx 1000 shelties (combined venues).
 
I am quite confidant in Janet. And I am sure she knows that. It was discussed between her & I during one of our many pleasant phone conversations,about what I was looking for in a sheltie. I wanted a companion sheltie.I was not looking for a perfect conformation dog,or even one that had the lines to show. I feel that she is the quintesencial of what I wanted in someone that is as knowledgable & caring about the breed.

Her litters are obviously well taken care of,well socialized,they are loved even sung to every day..what more could I possibly want. It is my first pup from Janet,and I will be back for another.

Now if only the next 7 days would fly by..I'll be a happy sheltie owner~
 
What a well-behaved forum we have here! This thread had the potential to get a little nasty, but I'm so proud of how every one supported their point of view without getting defensive. That's what I love about this forum!

When I went looking for a pup last year, I did tons of homework. Like you, I was limited in that I wanted a breeder close to my home so that I could visit before I decided. I was also looking for a breeder who bred for show, even though I was looking for a companion pet, myself. To me that was an important criteria, but not the only one.

When I finally found a breeder that had pups coming available, we had the big phone chat. She was as much, or more, interested in me, as I was in her pups. It felt like I was applying for a job! But the ultimate test was the first home visit. I knew this was a winner, when I discovered the pups were being kept in her bedroom in an Xpen! And then as we approached the big day, I was even more convinced. One night I called to check in and she had just spent the last hour with the pup in front of the house watching cars go by....just to get him used to cars!

And the best bonus of all....on the day that I brought him home, she'd already started to crate train on his own for a few days. That night, I put him to bed, and their was barely a whimper.

Ultimately, you have to go with your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right, it probably is not for you. Keep looking! There is a pup out there waiting for you.
 
When you find a breeder to buy another puppy. The Parents Must be free of any and all genetic diseases, ie HIP, Eye, Cancer etc. Also the Grandparents must be looked at as well. Preferably a Show home breeders are better. They tend to do a better job of breeding only genetically appropriate dogs and weeding out the ones with any genetic problems in the line. Also look at the temperment of the parents. Make sure they are not too hyper. show dogs tend to be more outgoing than normal shelties but not overly so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top