Sheltie Yearly Costs

I wanted to add to what Barbv mentioned about having money set aside for emergencies. I would make sure to have at least 1000$ saved up somewhere that you do not touch unless there is an emergency. My puppy was healthy but then she got a tummy infection on a very warm day and had to spend 1 day at the emergency getting iv fluids/medication and that came up to 700$. It could have been more as they wanted to keep her for the night.

So I say make sure you have 1000$ and at least an unused credit card as a back up for the back up.

A bit off subject but I would also recommend that even though you can train your puppy, that you still look into puppy classes or at least puppy meetings. It is quite crucial to socialize your puppy in an appropriate environment.
 
So I say make sure you have 1000$ and at least an unused credit card as a back up for the back up.

Great suggestion! If I can also suggest, if you want an emergency credit card for puppy/dog medical care, look into CareCredit. It's a credit card that can only be used for medical purposes and their interest rates aren't any higher than most store credit cards. Make sure your Vet and local emergency clinic accepts CareCredit as payment.

Another nice thing about CareCredit, at least when I got my card back in July, is that they sometimes have promotional programs where costs over $1,000, like emergency surgery, can be paid back with 6 month 0% interest terms. (PLEASE verify this at the time of purchase! Anything with a credit card is subject to change.)

CareCredit can also be used for people medical emergencies.
 
S

My old shih tzu, Mushu, had a bed, crate, brushes, left over flea meds, treats, adult dog food (for later), toys, leash, nail clippers, and a baby gate to lock off the kitchen or downstairs.

I would not use old adult food unless it is still factory sealed. An opened dog food bag loses its nutritional value and can spoil after 6 weeks. If the bag has never been opened then just check the expiration date.

Sounds like you already have the basics. I don't recommend using a bed when the puppy is young. He'll probably soil in it or chew it up. I used old towels or baby blankets until my puppy was old enough for the bed.

I also agree with Aearoniel. Double check with your vet before applying the left over flea preventative.

Sounds like you'll be fine. It wouldn't hurt to have an emergency only credit card, if you can't put money aside and maybe talk to your parents to see if they'll help you out if your puppy ever needs something really expensive.

Good luck!
 
Another very important thing to consider is your living situation. Right now you are living at home, but what happens when you are out of school? Renting a place that allows pets is sometimes very very difficult. It would be horrible to bring a puppy into your home, just to have to rehome your pup later on because your living arrangements have changed.

SO many dogs are in rescues and shelters because their owners living situations change. Now, that could happen to anyone, but someone who is not currently out on their own has a higher probability of coming across this situation. A good breeder or a rescue will evaluate your living situation before selling/adopting a dog to you.
 
You have been given sound, well thought out advice. There are so many factors to consider when adopting a puppy, not just the immediate cost. There are long-term costs of illness/injury/aging/well animal care that can sometimes be unexpected. When I got Emma, none of us knew she had a heart murmur. This involved the cost of an echocardiogram, vet visit examination. There is also the cost of testing you may want to consider - MDR1, hips, eyes, thyroid, etc. This can add up. I was quoted $300 for the MDR1 testing through the vet. It is cheaper to order and sent in the sample yourself.

Health issue costs can add up as well - thyroid, skin conditions, seizures, etc.

You are thinking through the costs of adding a puppy to your home. I am glad you are taking the time to consider all of these before you jump into owning a puppy and then find out a few months from now you can't afford him/her.
 
Wow! I'm pulling out receipts and such to see if I spent more on mine than I thought... keep in mind, I got TWO puppies at the same time... here's my breakdown:

-First vet visit: DHPP shot and wormer medicine was 19$ for each, so $38
-Second visit: second dhpp shot and heartworm/flea medicine plus nail trim was
26$ a piece so we're looking at $52.
-Third visit for final shot: $22 for both.
-My boy got neutered, microchipped, nails trimmed, flea medicine applied and pain medicine sent home for $106.00
-My girl got spayed and medicine for $104.00 and microchipped for $15.
-Both got their rabies shot for $18 total.

-They did get a bed, but like others said, wouldn't recommend doing that for a year or so... but anyway, doggie bed at Ross for $17.99
-Water bowl, leashes, collars from various places like Ross or even Pets Mart on SALE (buy one get one half off sale around Thanksgiving) and they have multiple collars and bowls probably three a piece and total is $35
- Brush and nail clippers were $20 together and we make our own shampoo so no need for that.
-toys are all from the dollar tree and maybe spent $10... mine have each other, to be fair, and don't play with toys anyway.
-Treats equal out to be about $2 a month b/c we buy a pound of liver or fries or something and dehydrate them ourselves but they don't get a lot of treats.
-We got a free crate but did purchase on of Craig's List for $25. Seatbelts were $40 total.
-- x-pen from craigslist for $20.
-- Then of course we moved that year but our landlord waived all pet deposits :)
-- I don't have food totals but a little pricey since the first year we fed raw for 9 months of it and bought mainly from the store... spent around $60 a month for all three. Now we use a co-op, hunters, buy in bulk, and haven't bought any food since August :) We're low now though so will have to spend some money soon and now we have four dogs so I 'm guessing it will be around $80 a month total.



So there you go... I have a savings for them in lieu of pet insurance as that works out better for me. Together, my partner and I have about $25K in our savings... so I'd say we're covered for emergencies :) After about three months old, we cut out heartworm and flea medicine so that is something that went away in ours that won't in most... didn't do puppy school either and I wish we had b/c now we can't due to not vaccinating them. I guess I should add in we paid for the mom since she came pregnant so they cost us about $300 so start with since that's what we paid for mom. So all together $825.00 for the first four months(including $300 purchase fee) or so and then food there after for the first year was probably $480 for the years worth of food for TWO dogs.

I will say the biggest expense and hassle is MOVING and pet deposits. Our first landlord was fabulous and I would have never moved had it not been for my partners job but it took hell trying to find a place with so many dogs, but you won't have to worry about that, once you hit more than two, no apartment will take you for the most part. The deposits are outrageous and some have PET RENT! We're pretty much going to buy next time we move due to the hassle, or we're going to look into it. We move around a lot, though, so buying isn't an option right now. It cost us $400 in pet deposits with the most recent move. Worth it, though! Also, we go out of town about once a month and we have to get a pet sitter. We just got back from a vacation and had to spend $200 on the pet sitter...oh and this doesn't include things like medical issues that wouldn't pertain to anyone but me.. those would add another $1,000 on!
 
Last edited:
If you haven't already, it'd be a great time to start finding a vet. That way, you can get all the prices and it'll be somewhat accurate. As we all know, prices vary from area to area. And then you have to ask yourself if you'll go with low-cost vaccinations that they do at PetCo and places like that, or at your vet. Ditto with getting the dog neutered. I know my friend got hers done through animal control or something and it was cheap. Like maybe $100 if that.

I would definitely rethink the flea meds. Check the expiration date first and make sure it's okay to use on the puppy. Ditto with the dog food. If it hasn't been in the original bag, in an air-tight container, I'd really rethink it. Dog food can go bad amazingly fast.

As for actual costs, I honestly think you can do a lot to cut down on costs (low-cost vacc/neuter/chipping, etc) BUT in that same breath, you can end up spending WAY more than you originally thought you would need to (daycare, dog walkers, puppy classes, emergencies, all their accessories, etc). Just don't get hooked on agility and you'll be fine. ;)

It's nice to hear someone really think about what a puppy truly costs and if they can afford it....versus most people who go, omg, cute. and buy it w/o thinking.
 
Be careful using left over flea meds, check with your vet that they are ok to use (in date etc) remembering that Shelties can be sensitive to certain medications used for fleas and worms. Also your pup will be a different weight etc.

I had no idea about the flea meds. Thank you so much! I will make sure to double check to see if they will work. If not, I'll buy whatever my vet recommends.
 
I had no idea about the flea meds. Thank you so much! I will make sure to double check to see if they will work. If not, I'll buy whatever my vet recommends.

Our breeder was kind enough to give us a list of medications that Shelties cannot tolerate. I gave a copy to our Vet and also carry a copy of it in my wallet in case of an emergency.

We got 2 Sheltie pups at once (litter mates) and the total cost for the first year was around $4500 - that would include the pups themselves, the food, treats, and peepads for training, the first year immunizations, the spay and neutering, flea control and deworming, collars and leashes, toys, 2 crates, 3 safety gates, and 2 dog blankets.

Brandi & Brady just turned 3 recently and we have, of course, spent lots more ... 2 more crate pads before we were done with crating and new plush beds ... larger collars and leashes ... more toys :o yes, we spoil them.

It sounds like you are ready to make the big commitment ... and the joy and love that a pet brings is well worth the expense and commitment. All the best!
 
I'd like to add there is a cost for grooming...I am not an expert at this, so I take my dog to the groomer's a four-five times a year. I trim Daisy's nails inbetween, brush her often, and try to trim her "Grinch feet" hair, but I don't do a very good job.

There is also a service here in Texas called Emancipet, which offers shots, heartworm tests, and flea/heartworm medications at a significally lower price. They also have reduced prices to spay/neuter, but I think if Daisy had needed to be spayed, I would have taken her to my vet. I would also shop around for a good vet with reasonable prices...I have used mine for years, and he is very reasonable, about half the cost of the other vets I priced.

I am on disability, and don't have alot of money. I will buy chicken wings and chicken breasts (boneless and skinless) in bulk, and freeze them. The chicken breasts pieces are her usual treat, but lately she is also getting the sweet potato chews which are covered in the recipes here at the forum. Daisy also eats Taste of the Wild, which I buy at Amazon...which has free shipping for orders over $25.00. I have found a few online sites where I can get her joint medication and dog omegas reasonable, and take advantage of sales and free shipping offers.

If your heart is set on a puppy, so be it. I choose rescue dogs, and my latest rescue came spayed, with shots and microchip, and a recent dental and tooth extraction before I got her. Just a thought.

Good luck! As mentioned before, the costs of having a dog pales to all the benefits of owning one. I love those shelties!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top