Sheltie Yearly Costs

Totally agree with marymrumfelt! I also wanted to add that I rescued my sheltie when in grad school and it was one of the best decisions I EVER made, she is an instant stress reliever and I think yours will be for you too. Puppuhood could be a little stressful and time consuming. Also the first year costs for us were a little over $2000 but she has been on a high quality diet plus meat from co-ops as treats since we got her and that accounts for most of the cost, no health problems yet except for dental costs (~150/year).
 
Totally agree with marymrumfelt! I also wanted to add that I rescued my sheltie when in grad school and it was one of the best decisions I EVER made, she is an instant stress reliever and I think yours will be for you too.

I'm definitely hoping to adopt after this one. I just wanted to start out with my first dog being from a sheltie breeder. With the intention of being a future dog trainer, I'm sure that I will have tons of rescues :biggrin2:

That's exactly what I was thinking (the dog being a stress reliever). I remember when I had my old dog, Mushu, and he was just the best thing for me after a hard day. It's nice to know that there is someone who will unconditionally love you all the time. And I'm excited to love on my sheltie too! He's going to be spoiled yet fully trained. When first considering getting a dog while in college, I had to ask myself if he is going to be a stress reliever or a distraction from studies. I'm more than sure that you are right. Stress reliever all the way!
 
I'm definitely hoping to adopt after this one. I just wanted to start out with my first dog being from a sheltie breeder. With the intention of being a future dog trainer, I'm sure that I will have tons of rescues :biggrin2:

That's exactly what I was thinking (the dog being a stress reliever). I remember when I had my old dog, Mushu, and he was just the best thing for me after a hard day. It's nice to know that there is someone who will unconditionally love you all the time. And I'm excited to love on my sheltie too! He's going to be spoiled yet fully trained. When first considering getting a dog while in college, I had to ask myself if he is going to be a stress reliever or a distraction from studies. I'm more than sure that you are right. Stress reliever all the way!

I think she meant her older, adopted sheltie was her stress reliever... let me tell you, no way will a puppy be a stress reliever! LOL A puppy will stress you to the max like nothing else. Their whining, peeing/pooping, chewing anything you leave in sight (yeah no cords allowed down) putting it up when you need to accomplish something but yet it screams the whole time so you can't get it done... oh, and forget sleeping in again for a while! LOL Like I said, I currently have two so these are all things I've experienced this weekend alone. And I've raised a few litters now so I'm a little more experienced. It is soooo fun and soooo worth it. I was in college when I got my first pups, and I'd definitely say it set me back at least a semester. Who wants to do homework when you have a puppy to play with? ha!
 
I think she meant her older, adopted sheltie was her stress reliever... let me tell you, no way will a puppy be a stress reliever! LOL A puppy will stress you to the max like nothing else. Their whining, peeing/pooping, chewing anything you leave in sight (yeah no cords allowed down) putting it up when you need to accomplish something but yet it screams the whole time so you can't get it done... oh, and forget sleeping in again for a while! LOL Like I said, I currently have two so these are all things I've experienced this weekend alone. And I've raised a few litters now so I'm a little more experienced. It is soooo fun and soooo worth it. I was in college when I got my first pups, and I'd definitely say it set me back at least a semester. Who wants to do homework when you have a puppy to play with? ha!

I definitely know what you mean. I'm not in college anymore, but I'm still in my 20's. Having a dog is like having a child. Some days I just wish I can send Bailey away for a few days.

My coworkers go out for happy hour all the time after work. I can never go because I have to go home to walk and feed Bailey. I'm always late for events because I have to make sure Bailey pees before I go out for a few hours. Then I have to be back by certain time to feed and walk her.

There are so many times where I can't go somewhere or do something because it's too far away and I can't leave Bailey home for that long. :gaah

So besides sucking my wallet dry, my life is more restricted because of my dog. I can't just randomly crash at friends place or be gone for more than 8 hours. And when I am out that long, Bailey is not tired and wants to play, but all I want to is sleep. :sleepy:

On weekends, she doesn't let me sleep past 8am because that's the time we get up on weekdays and she wants to eat and go to the bathroom.

Yes, there's a lot of benefits to having a dog too. I'm never alone. It's great to have someone waiting for you when you get home. I feel safer having a dog. I love agility, but honestly at my age, I want to be out with my friends and drinking every night, but that won't happen with my dog. If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have gotten a dog.
 
I definitely know what you mean. I'm not in college anymore, but I'm still in my 20's. Having a dog is like having a child. Some days I just wish I can send Bailey away for a few days.

My coworkers go out for happy hour all the time after work. I can never go because I have to go home to walk and feed Bailey. I'm always late for events because I have to make sure Bailey pees before I go out for a few hours. Then I have to be back by certain time to feed and walk her.

There are so many times where I can't go somewhere or do something because it's too far away and I can't leave Bailey home for that long. :gaah

So besides sucking my wallet dry, my life is more restricted because of my dog. I can't just randomly crash at friends place or be gone for more than 8 hours. And when I am out that long, Bailey is not tired and wants to play, but all I want to is sleep. :sleepy:

On weekends, she doesn't let me sleep past 8am because that's the time we get up on weekdays and she wants to eat and go to the bathroom.

Yes, there's a lot of benefits to having a dog too. I'm never alone. It's great to have someone waiting for you when you get home. I feel safer having a dog. I love agility, but honestly at my age, I want to be out with my friends and drinking every night, but that won't happen with my dog. If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have gotten a dog.

I totally agree... I'm in a committed relationship so it's a little different for me b/c I'm more or less "married." But we used to love going on day trips or overnight trips monthly and that's gone. It's either not as fun when you're bringing an animal along or too expensive. You really do in a sense lose many freedoms and gain a ton of responsibility. Not to say it's not worth it, b/c obviously we all love our dogs on here and they bring us tons of joy. But it's just something to think long and hard about and realize your life will change and no longer be about you anymore. You don't get to sleep in when you want, you don't get to stay out more than 4 hours probably if you get a puppy, you basically are on their schedule until they're old enough that you know they can hold it for eight hours and then you're still on their schedule it's just a little longer of one. I find myself asking WHY did I agree to be a foster again usually every morning at 6am when they wake up to potty?? HAHA.
 
Yes dog food will go stale if left open to the air, but this does not preclude buying larger bags that last more than a few weeks, freshness can be preserved with a little extra care.

I buy a 35 lb bag which lasts my two dogs the better part of two months, *but* I pour about 4 lbs at a time into a screw-top canister, from which I fill their bowls for a week, and then I re-seal the bag tighter than a frog's butt in the winter. (I fold it over several times, forcing the air out, and tape it down, it's sealed as well as it was before it was opened.)
 
That's very true. A puppy would definitely suck up all of my time. I would feel guilty if I left him home for too long or anytime that I should be doing something for him. Remembering my old dog, I completely forgot about his puppy years. I guess I might have been too young. He was the best dog because he was alright with being left alone. He also had the most amazing bladder. Even from the time he was a puppy. I'm sure shelties are more time consuming.

It's great to see the other side of the spectrum. How having a dog isn't always the best thing. I know that it will be difficult to do while I'm in college and not exactly the stress reliever haha, but I feel like it would be worth it. I'm weighing the cons and pros heavily before I 100% decide to get this puppy.
 
Before we got Buffy we dog-sat for two neighbor dogs for three weeks and two weeks respectively. The second one was a Sheltie. This gives you a good idea of the work and time involved. Also, when Buffy was a baby my husband was on summer break, which was great. They are time-consuming but very worth it.

I'd say that in the first year we spent about $1,500 plus the breeder fee. Vet bills are most costly in the first year. We have a budget of $50 per month now, and this includes vet, toys, dog park, etc. Also, she has the dog walker on top of that. Good job doing your research ahead of time. :cool: I'd say you can do a dog cheaper than what we did, but they certainly are an extra expense, and a significant one, especially if you are still in school.

Some of my friends who don't have dogs get their "fix" by volunteering at the animal shelter. Depending on your neighborhood you might be able to do some dog sitting too. We have another dog in our building that at times as been like our second pup.

Good luck with your puppy and decision!
 
I'd say that in the first year we spent about $1,500 plus the breeder fee. Vet bills are most costly in the first year. We have a budget of $50 per month now, and this includes vet, toys, dog park, etc. Also, she has the dog walker on top of that. Good job doing your research ahead of time. :cool: I'd say you can do a dog cheaper than what we did, but they certainly are an extra expense, and a significant one, especially if you are still in school.

Some of my friends who don't have dogs get their "fix" by volunteering at the animal shelter. Depending on your neighborhood you might be able to do some dog sitting too. We have another dog in our building that at times as been like our second pup.

Good luck with your puppy and decision!

Thanks! I'm not done with my research. I want to be 100% sure before I commit fully. I do volunteer at the Humane Society around my school, but it isn't the same. I get my dog fix sometimes. Although, that's being somewhat selfish of me. The reason of me buying this puppy would be because I want to have a family member and devoted friend. I not allowing myself to get him if I can't give up either the time or the money.
 
About larger quanities of food....I buy the 15 lb. bag of TOTW, which lasts about 6 weeks. It is cheaper on-line than in feed or pet stores... I divide the food up in six ziplock bags (the gallon size), which I hope keeps them fresh. One bag per week.

I'd also like to add I found my vet through a recommendation from the animal control officer for our county....it is where they take the animals in need. He is reasonable and very good. I had my last dog, Anna, in for a tumor removal, dental, a shot and pain meds for after the surgery for about $200.00. A smoking deal.
 
Back
Top