Sheltie Yearly Costs

sheltieluvr6

Forums Enthusiast
So I've been looking around on the site trying to find a rough estimate of a sheltie puppy for the first year. I'm getting my little one in the next few months and my parents are worried that I wouldn't be able to provide for him. I have a job over the summer though that earns a great deal of money and will also have one when I return to school. My friend who also has a sheltie in college says that "they are economically beneficial dogs". Is this true? I'm looking for the costs for a pup the first year. I'm sure that I can support him. I just want to triple check.

Thanks!
 
So I've been looking around on the site trying to find a rough estimate of a sheltie puppy for the first year. I'm getting my little one in the next few months and my parents are worried that I wouldn't be able to provide for him. I have a job over the summer though that earns a great deal of money and will also have one when I return to school. My friend who also has a sheltie in college says that "they are economically beneficial dogs". Is this true? I'm looking for the costs for a pup the first year. I'm sure that I can support him. I just want to triple check.

Thanks!

I would assume each and every answer will be different because like humans we all experience different illnesses and such. For instance, my pups the first year cost me about $1200 in medical care b/c they developed a neurological disorder. I doubt, and certainly hope, that won't happen to you. Someone one here posted about their dog having a liver shunt and the surgery was going to be absorbent amounts. Sure you can narrow things down based on the breeder and going to a reputable one, but you can't predict.

I'm not sure about food as mine eat raw and we get it mostly for free. When we were buying through a co-op I spent about 40$ a month on food, but if you feed kibble it will probably cost more. Vaccines (which we don't do either) but I know their pretty affordable especially if you shop around and maybe go to a clinic or sorts that's more affordable. Then if you chose to do heartworm/flea medicine (which I don't do either) that was around $40 a month I believe. Then of course their spay or neuter, if you do that before a yr old, can be a little pricey... overall, though, they're not too much provided everything goes well health-wise... especially one puppy!

I think the food will be the biggest one, then your monthly heartworm/flea, but that's pretty much it... plus if you move you have pet deposits and that stuff which can be expensive...
 
initial set up for dog is expensive. but i spend about $100/month-$200/month on mine, depending on what "extras" i buy for him in a given month (or what emergencies he has in a given month). with no extras and no emergencies he costs a little less than $100/month.

the initial month can cost a lot:

purchase price of dog
cost of crate
various little expenses (collar, leash, dishes, chews, brushes, etc...)
emergency fund for unexpected injury (puppies can be a little crazy and break limbs, chew things that are bad for them, and get into trouble more readily). you should watch him like a hawk anyway, but accidents can still happen.
 
We are very recent puppy parents, so I know what we've spent in just the past 5 weeks! Also, I'm in Canada, our prices are always higher then U.S!
But I shop at Winners & HomeSense for ALL pet stuff (its kinda like T.J Max in the states) our stores carry great name brand Kong, Nylabone, American Kennel etc. items that you know are good. So the prices I pay are great deals, usually 1/2 off! And STILL we've spent A LOT on her. And we have 2 cats which a lot of things she uses are theirs - so we didn't need to buy them. Like our travel carrier, Julip still fits in it nicely as her crate (although we don't crate train) We potty trained her without it - But that's a whole OTHER topic! :winkgrin:
Breakdown goes something like this, again EVERYTHING, I got at Winners or HomeSense, except her food (but yes to quality treats - like freeze dried chicken for 1/2 off the pet stores!) oh & her potty bell we got at Pet Value.

puppy cost $900
1st vet bill with fecal test & worm stuff $163
2nd vet bill with 1 month (her weight will change) Revolution (heartworm & flea) - $123
dog license - $50
big comfy pet bed $40
collar & leash - $ 25
bell (potty training) - $20
back seat car hammock $35
back seat zip line - $20
shampoo, brush, comb $30
stainless steel food & water bowls $20
stainless steel slow down while eating ball $6
puppy school - 8 weeks $200
food - $20 for a 6 lb.bag last her a couple weeks? 1/2 thru bag #2. (so say $30 for 1st 5 weeks?) Going to get a bigger bag for less, next time - also she'll eat more as she grows.
treats - $10 every couple weeks? Have a couple different bags of things going, 1 to stuff in a certain toy, 1 as rewards, 1 just to have her munch on something etc.
toys $50 (again she loves half the cat (safe for her) stuff & existing stuffed toys etc. that we already had, so we haven't gone too nuts on toys - anything a pup can chew is a great investment, Nylabone chicken flavoured puppy teething toys occupy her lots! As does toys you fill/stuff with treats.

Total after only 5 weeks - $1722
And this is a wonderfully healthy no issues puppy!

Remember this isn't a crate, blankets, other pet beds, nail clipper, flea comb, harness, coats, clothes, many toys - as we already had them from our cats/shih tzu.

We still have to spay her - vet quote for that is - $214 (not including blood panel - $73, ECG - $49, at home pain med's - $30, e collar - $9, Micro- chip - $57)
& continue on with heartworm & flea prevention for the summer = $100

If we had to get the things I just mentioned above that we already have - I'm sure it will easily be $3000 in her 1st year!

Especially if we continued puppy training - or letting her try agility etc. Oh & then there is trips to a professional groomer & kennel costs if you go away for a weekend etc. Ear stuff if you tip the ears - some do it for the 1st year? Dental stuff - tooth paste, brush. Baby gate to block off areas?

Lots more expenses in there when you look at it. I work from home, so I'm here for Julip, but some may need an actual dog walker/doggie daycare too!

Is she worth EVERY penny - you better believe it! She's priceless!!!! And brings us SO much happiness! :hugs
 
My dog is almost 3 years old now, but my 1st year expenses were very similar to 1stSheltie's expenses.

After our first year, I estimated that I spent about $4000 on my puppy. This included the payment to the breeder, vet appointments, vaccines, spaying, monthly heartworm & flea/tick preventative, food, toys, crate, bedding, bowls, harness, leash, treats, on-going training classes, monthly health insurance, vitamins, etc., etc. She also had a few illnesses during her first year: UTI's and Stomach illness.

After the 1st year, your expenses should cut in half. Mine are actually more because I have a daily dogwalker, but most people don't usually spend as much money on their dogs after the 1st year, unless there is a health issue.
 
Last edited:
So I've been looking around on the site trying to find a rough estimate of a sheltie puppy for the first year. I'm getting my little one in the next few months and my parents are worried that I wouldn't be able to provide for him. I have a job over the summer though that earns a great deal of money and will also have one when I return to school. My friend who also has a sheltie in college says that "they are economically beneficial dogs". Is this true? I'm looking for the costs for a pup the first year. I'm sure that I can support him. I just want to triple check.

Thanks!

Not sure what your friend means by " economically beneficial dogs". If she's talking about breeding your pup, then I really caution you about this. Breeding is not for beginners. If you go into this unprepared and without a mentor you can do more harm than good.

But if you truly love the breed, then beyond the initial purchase price of a Sheltie, the annual maintenance costs are the same, regardless of breed.

So the real question is: can you afford a dog. On top of what others have posed, make sure you make allowance of between $500 and $1,000 for emergency situations. You also might want to consider pet insurance (in hindsight I wish I had).

These emergency situations do come up.....I had to rush Indy to hospital when I witnessed him swallowing a sewing needle. He had to have emergency stomach surgery to remove it before it passed through his bowels. And I had to rush Bacca to emergency after ingesting my son's marijuana to have his stomach pumped.

These things happen. If you plan on getting a dog, then you need to funds in reserve to deal with these issues.

As a side bar:

I despair at my pet store. Today I had someone come in looking for RC for Boxers. I only carry it in the big bags. He said he could not afford the big bag that week though he did say that our big bags were cheaper than Petsmart by $9.00

I get so concerned when I hear from customers who are so stretched that even a $9.00 difference that will last them a few months, makes the difference.

What are these people doing with dogs if they are already living hand to mouth! :cry:
 
I got Mozart in Dec of last year. I would say the "setup" cost is high but after the initial 3 months it really depends on what toys and goodies you want to add to your puppy's "toy horde".
Similar to 1stSheltie, I'm also located in Canada so the cost is a bit higher for me in some areas. You'll probably need $2000 to start. First few months is more expensive so you'll need $200 for 1st 4 months then $100 per month for insurance and toy replacement. I got a very healthy puppy as well so there's no extra medical bills to pay. He also doesn't chew furniture and wall so there's no "replacement" needed.

Puppy joy - priceless. Just don't overspend in the toys part then you'll have the money part under control.
 
Dogs cost alot of money whether they are healthy or not =).

Just the initial puppy cost was 1000$ for Milli. Then we had vet bills, then food, snacks , toys to get. In the first week we must of put at least 400-500$. Then she broke her leg so add an other 1000$ for surgery and post surgery care. All in all since the Start of feb I've spent around 3000$ on Milli.

On the other hand. Once shes done all her vaccines and vet visits for the year. I'm guessing her basic monthly cost will be roughly about 100$ a month.
 
So it seems like initial costs are the most expensive. I figured that they would be that way with neutering as well as shots and getting the basics. There are a few positives though because of my past dog and how we saved a few of his things.

My old shih tzu, Mushu, had a bed, crate, brushes, left over flea meds, treats, adult dog food (for later), toys, leash, nail clippers, and a baby gate to lock off the kitchen or downstairs. If I factor these into my costs, I can bring it down a whole bunch. I also will be doing the grooming myself so that will save me money in the future. All I have to do is find the right thinning shears which I have already looked into. I am also a future dog trainer (hopefully) so I won't take him to puppy classes. The summer will be dedicated to the joy of training :yes: My breeder is selling him to me for only $400 too.

Over the summer, I make about 3,000 or so based on how many hours I work. I definitely am going to give my all into it to provide for him. One thing's for sure, I will not buy this puppy if I know that I can't provide for him. I really really want him, but, it's not fair to the dog if I can't take proper care of him. Thank you for all your advice guys! It's definitely helped me figure out specific costs so that I feel more secure.
 
Be careful using left over flea meds, check with your vet that they are ok to use (in date etc) remembering that Shelties can be sensitive to certain medications used for fleas and worms. Also your pup will be a different weight etc.

Set up in the UK is along the same lines:

Puppy: £1200
Vet 1st visit: $60 (including vaccination and full health check)
Vet 2nd visit: $100 (2nd vacc and microchip)
Food (puppy, 13kg of orijen): $100
Lead and Collar set: $15
Grooming Kit: $55 (so far for basics)
Insurance: $55 per month

Anything else is just extras, for example toys are easily made at home. Old fleece jumpers well washed and cut up then plaited make good tug toys. Treats can be taken out of food allowance of kibble.

Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top