Shelties and cats

There are some excellent resources out there that will help you find responsible breeders in your area.

The American Shetland Sheepdog Association lists two breeder-referral contacts for the state of California:
http://assa.org/breeders.html#California

There are also not one, not two, but six ASSA-member Sheltie Clubs in your state. These clubs are made up of Sheltie enthusiasts and breeders who would, I am certain, love to help you connect with a responsible breeder in your area.
http://assa.org/clubs.html#California

I won't get into the subject of puppy mills, but I want to assure you that, with a little effort and research, you can find many excellent, reputable, responsible breeders in your state who will be there to guide you through your pup's whole life - not just until you click "submit" on the online-payment form.
Awesome! The one i talked to had none available, but she kindly forwarded me to a breeder near me with a pup! I immediately canceled the order i had placed online... 295 cancellation fee but you can't win em all (at least i got it down from 600... complete rip off). I will be visiting her this weekend, and her 13 week old bi-black. Guess things worked out huh? Thanks a bunch!
 
so we just ordered our puppy, thanks to you guys. I know this is a bit off topic but i thought i'd show everybody http://www.sanfranciscosheltiebreeders.com/s.f.-puppies-for-sale/?id=170913

In the description is says he is very laid back and not very hyper... i was sorda looking forward to a hyper, energetic dog... i thought ALL shelties were that way ( i never went and read the description maybe my fault). Will he grow to be energetic or have you experienced a laid back sheltie? Still very pleased to be getting him (:
Sca is somewhat laid back. It is all relative though. He loves to run and attacks me like a demon but most people think he is extremely well behaved for a 9 month old puppy and are surprised he is not older. I tell them he is fooling. So is he laid back or laid back "for a sheltie" is the question.
 
Awesome! The one i talked to had none available, but she kindly forwarded me to a breeder near me with a pup! I immediately canceled the order i had placed online... 295 cancellation fee but you can't win em all (at least i got it down from 600... complete rip off). I will be visiting her this weekend, and her 13 week old bi-black. Guess things worked out huh? Thanks a bunch!

I am applauding you from here on the East Coast! I think you've made the right decision, and I hope your meeting with a breeder this weekend goes beautifully!
 
I am applauding you from here on the East Coast! I think you've made the right decision, and I hope your meeting with a breeder this weekend goes beautifully!

I agree! I think that was a great decision.. You will be very happy down the line, too. I can't wait to hear about your meeting with the breeder and the little bi-black! Hope it goes well!
 
Awesome! The one i talked to had none available, but she kindly forwarded me to a breeder near me with a pup! I immediately canceled the order i had placed online... 295 cancellation fee but you can't win em all (at least i got it down from 600... complete rip off). I will be visiting her this weekend, and her 13 week old bi-black. Guess things worked out huh? Thanks a bunch!

Awesome!! We are ((clapping)) can you hear it? Seriously,you did the right thing!

Ohhh a Bi-Black,you lucky gal.:smile2:
 
THANK YOU, thank you!
I am checking at work, to see if you had even seen my post, and here you are already well on your way, you didn't even need me, lol!
What everyone said thus far is true, and I am so sorry you are paying a cancelation fee :mad: I wonder if you can dispute this through VISA chargeback recourse as services not recieved... may be worth a try... but unlikely.

So glad you could get hooked up with a 'real' breeder where you can see the parents and the breeder will more than likely be there for you well until after the pup is paid for. Also to rest assured that probably no dogs were harmed in the making of that puppy you're getting :)
I can't wait to see pics of the new baby, LOL
 
Last edited:
THANK YOU, thank you!
I am checking at work, to see if you had even seen my post, and here you are already well on your way, you didn't even need me, lol!
What everyone said thus far is true, and I am so sorry you are paying a cancelation fee :mad: I wonder if you can dispute this through VISA chargeback recourse as services not recieved... may be worth a try... but unlikely.

So glad you could get hooked up with a 'real' breeder where you can see the parents and the breeder will more than likely be there for you well until after the pup is paid for. Also to rest assured that no probably dogs were harmed in the making of that puppy you're getting :)
I can't wait to see pics of the new baby, LOL

ditto :yes:
a bi-black- we'll all be a little jealous now:wink2:
 
as to laid back... I love laid back to a degree, which is why I got Toffee... He has the temperament of his Dad. If I had a dog that couldn't relax and cuddle on occasion too, would drive me crazy!
On the other hand it sounds like a lot of the Sheltie ladies in here are firecrackers like Bailey and Megan, Bella, Tully and Diva to name a few!
Sounds to me like the gals are more your style, LOL
 
still wondering has anyone had a completely mellow shelt pup that in a few months was a whole different character?

Mr D was a very mellow, laid back pup. He is currently barking and spinning at the garbage truck (he loves garbage day), having had a 2 hour walk this morning! So yep, they dont always stay mellow. But he also loves to cuddle and his fave thing is just to hang with me. I think shelties are such an adaptable breed, and getting them young means they will become the dog you want them to be.

I love that - laid back for a sheltie - that's exactly right!
 
When she was a pup, our first Sheltie Buttons played very well with the in-laws kitten. She never really got close to another cat. Bows on the other hand hated cats, I would not have tried to bring one into the house with her, unfortunately she went to the bridge in Oct. My wife's sister brought in a young stray that she fed as a kitten. She had to get rid of her because her older cat didn't want her around. I'm not a cat person at all, but I've mellowed in my old age and allowed my wife to bring her home. I figured maybe she'll take care of the bugs and mice problem. We took her for a trial period because we didn't know how they all would get along. Well all three Shelties pretty much just ignore her and she didn't bother them. Once in awhile she'll try to sniff one of the dogs, but that's about it. I was surprised that older Shelties not use to cats would be so calm, but so far no problems.
 
Back
Top