Fasb's Owner
Forums Enthusiast
Hi all. Fasb has come down with a minor (I think) issue. Not sure this requires a trip to the vet, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with anything similar and if there's anything I can do to remedy it.
Fasb has what seems to be a minor skin irritation. I noticed he had a dark mark on his skin near his collar after his last trip to the groomer (a week and a half ago). It was hard to get a good look at it, and I thought maybe he had nicked himself on something and picked up a scab. That's happened before.
The past two days I've been noticing a small black area on the back of his neck at the edge of the collar. Fasb doesn't really like us poking and prodding him, and the fur is fairly thick back there, so it's been hard to get a good look. I've been trying to get a good look for fear it was some sort of bug bite, tick, fleas, something.
This morning, we checked him more thoroughly and noticed several small black spots under his fur. A couple around his collar and a few on his back. While I was at work, my wife called a friend who works in a vet's office and the woman came over and had a look. She thinks it's a skin irritation. Not knowing my wife had called someone, I called our vet. He wasn't much help except to suggest I make an appointment. After lunch, I went home, picked up Fasb, and took him to his groomer. The two girls who work there had a look and said the same thing: skin irritation. Definitely no evidence of fleas, ticks, etc. They don't think it's severe enough to require a vet visit right now. Fasb seems to be unbothered.
I'm kinda relieved by this (was afraid he had ticks or something burrowing into the skin), but also wondering how to get rid of it. Like I said, it's hard to see the area under his fur, so I doubt I'd get a good picture. The spots are about the size of a small ladybug, fairly tiny. They don't seem to be welts. I can't see anything that looks like swelling, a bite mark, etc. The area doesn't seem to be raised above the skin like a welt. Near as I can tell, Fasb isn't bothered by this. He doesn't appear to be itching, no personality or behavior changes, scratching, etc. The areas don't seem to hurt him. He doesn't mind me touching them or pressing on them (except for not liking being prodded and examined at all, of course).
The groomers think it's being caused by the abnormally wet weather we've had this summer. I live in the mid-Atlantic. We've had some summer heat. and the last two weeks have been very humid, but the main problem around here has been rain. It seems to rain at least a couple times every week. My yard and the surrounding foilage are as green as they've ever been this time of year, probably more green than they were in the Spring.
I think it might be a reaction to something the groomer used on him when she had him about 12 days ago (the shampoo, maybe?). Not many other changes. Did open a new carton of Frontline and give him a dose, so it could be something odd about the new batch, but that's probably not likely. (He's been on Frontline his whole life).
Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone have any problem with skin problems. We've had ongoing issues with skin allergies in the past. Nothing too severe, but he does itch some and it tends to be worse in the summer. Not sure this isn't an outgrowth of that (again, it's been very humid and wet here lately).
Thanks. Any help or comment is appreciated.
Fasb has what seems to be a minor skin irritation. I noticed he had a dark mark on his skin near his collar after his last trip to the groomer (a week and a half ago). It was hard to get a good look at it, and I thought maybe he had nicked himself on something and picked up a scab. That's happened before.
The past two days I've been noticing a small black area on the back of his neck at the edge of the collar. Fasb doesn't really like us poking and prodding him, and the fur is fairly thick back there, so it's been hard to get a good look. I've been trying to get a good look for fear it was some sort of bug bite, tick, fleas, something.
This morning, we checked him more thoroughly and noticed several small black spots under his fur. A couple around his collar and a few on his back. While I was at work, my wife called a friend who works in a vet's office and the woman came over and had a look. She thinks it's a skin irritation. Not knowing my wife had called someone, I called our vet. He wasn't much help except to suggest I make an appointment. After lunch, I went home, picked up Fasb, and took him to his groomer. The two girls who work there had a look and said the same thing: skin irritation. Definitely no evidence of fleas, ticks, etc. They don't think it's severe enough to require a vet visit right now. Fasb seems to be unbothered.
I'm kinda relieved by this (was afraid he had ticks or something burrowing into the skin), but also wondering how to get rid of it. Like I said, it's hard to see the area under his fur, so I doubt I'd get a good picture. The spots are about the size of a small ladybug, fairly tiny. They don't seem to be welts. I can't see anything that looks like swelling, a bite mark, etc. The area doesn't seem to be raised above the skin like a welt. Near as I can tell, Fasb isn't bothered by this. He doesn't appear to be itching, no personality or behavior changes, scratching, etc. The areas don't seem to hurt him. He doesn't mind me touching them or pressing on them (except for not liking being prodded and examined at all, of course).
The groomers think it's being caused by the abnormally wet weather we've had this summer. I live in the mid-Atlantic. We've had some summer heat. and the last two weeks have been very humid, but the main problem around here has been rain. It seems to rain at least a couple times every week. My yard and the surrounding foilage are as green as they've ever been this time of year, probably more green than they were in the Spring.
I think it might be a reaction to something the groomer used on him when she had him about 12 days ago (the shampoo, maybe?). Not many other changes. Did open a new carton of Frontline and give him a dose, so it could be something odd about the new batch, but that's probably not likely. (He's been on Frontline his whole life).
Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone have any problem with skin problems. We've had ongoing issues with skin allergies in the past. Nothing too severe, but he does itch some and it tends to be worse in the summer. Not sure this isn't an outgrowth of that (again, it's been very humid and wet here lately).
Thanks. Any help or comment is appreciated.