Smudge HATES the new puppy!

Smudge

Forums Sage
Ok, so this is not how I wanted to get a new puppy AT ALL. She was a Christmas present. :rolleyes2: So now, sitting in Smudge's crate with her tail tucked between her legs is my new tri sheltie puppy. It's a LOOOOONG story. :rolleyes2:

So, anyway, Smudge hates her. He keeps swiping her with his paw, getting in her face, barking at her, and just plain being a bully. :mad: I know this is stressful to him, but it is also stressing ME out.

I tried putting him on a leash and introducing her. Nothing doing. I tried being on the other side of the room giving him treats (trying to show that good things happen when she's around). This also did not work.

They HAVE to get along. :uhoh: What am I going to do?!
 
I got her as a Christmas present. I've always wanted a tri female. My sister bought her for me. Julie has good intentions, but sometimes her good intentions turn out bad. :rolleyes2: So now there's a tri female sheltie puppy in Smudge's crate. Only now she's asleep. :rolleyes2:
 
Oh wow! Congrats on the new puppy! Does she have a name? Also.... um.... pictures?? :yes:

I think she needs her own crate asap so she is not in Smudge's space. You might be able to find one on Craigslist for cheap.

Maybe you can start by keeping her in a different area of the house than the one Smudge usually likes to be in?
 
Since I didn't know I was getting her she doesn't have anything. Not even a collar and leash. :uhoh: So tomorrow after work I am going to go to PetSmart and get a crate, a dog dish, and some other things.

I really hope he changes his mind about her soon. :sadsmile:

I haven't thought up a name yet. I want to give her a bath before taking pictures. She is cute though. :biggrin2:
 
OK

First off, she needs her own crate. You can keep the crates in the same room, but not side by side. Same with food dishes. Last thing you need is food aggression to kick in.

What you want to do is reward both pups for the slightest positive interaction that they initiate. Get down on the floor with fun stuff around you. What you want is for them to come to you and "accidentally" interact. If they so much as sniff at each other without growling, etc, then reward and treat. Play with a toy, and see if they'll play with you. Reward and treat.

With all the issues you've had with Smudge, do you know where your sister got this puppy?
 
OK

With all the issues you've had with Smudge, do you know where your sister got this puppy?

Actually, yes. They are good people, but I had no idea that they bred shelties.

She's getting her own crate tomorrow. They're not both in the crate. :uhoh::lol: I did try the treat thing, and it didn't seem to have much success. Maybe it just needs time. I sure hope so! :sadsmile:
 
1 hour :lol: consider some posts here that started with I hate that puppy and ended in video of them playing :wink2: They will warm up just give them time. I am betting with 2-3 weeks (tops) they will be best pals an hour is no where near enough to be welcomed into the pack.

So now are you changing your screen name...

Tri's RULE (sorry Sca insisted)
 
Back
Top