Snorting then blood

romeosangiovese

Forums Enthusiast
While eating her dinner today, Juliet started having some kind of snorting fit. She wasn't choking (I checked), and the sound she was making seemed to be coming from her nose like maybe she sucked in something that shouldn't have gone in (supplement powder??).

Anyway, the snorting has more or less stopped but then I noticed that there's blood on the left nostril. I wiped it off, used a torchlight to check her nose and there wasn't anything I could see other than it being a tad pinker in colour. She seemed fine and was running around like her normal self. I checked to make sure she didn't have difficulty breathing and could feel air coming out of the nostril with the blood.

Then after playing with Romeo for abit, she did that snorting thing again. This time just once or twice. And I saw blood again.

Did she burst a blood vessel or something and is getting a nose bleed? Or is this something much more sinister? She's not pawing her nose or anything and is now happily chewing on an antler at my feet. If she didn't appear so normal I would rush her to the vet (it's midnight now). Has anyone had this happen before?? Should I take her to the vet now or tomorrow? or is it not necessary? :confused2:
 
I've only ever had a nosebleed with my first Sheltie, and that was a nasty one that went on for quite a while. Yours doesn't sound that way. I wonder if she irritated her nostril somehow and that started it. I'd probably have the vet check her out when you can, just to be safe but if it's stopped and doesn't start again, I don't think it's an emergency.
 
Took her to the vet and the vet said her left nostril is inflamed but can't see anything up her nose and she's breathing in and out of it just fine. He gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and sent us home with antibiotics so it doesn't get infected. He was concerned it might be tick fever coz apparently nose bleeds occur when the dog has tick fever too but because it happened as she was eating, he didn't think that was the cause. I will now very carefully mix ALL the supplement powder thoroughly into her food. Sigh. :rolleyes2:

Juliet is still snorting now and then. Not often but this is still an unusual behaviour. No more bleeding tho. Could barely get any sleep over the weekend coz I kept waking to check she was alive and breathing!
 
Glad to hear the vet gave her a clean bill of health! I hope it was just a freak occurrence and that's the end of it. I know what you mean about worrying nonstop. Thanks for the update!
 
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it sounds like she is okay. Hopefully in the next few days the snorting will disappear altogether.
 
I am glad it is nothing serious. I hope the medicine heals Juliet's nose.

Do you sprinkle diatomaceous earth on her food? I've read the DE can do damage to the nose and lungs if it is inhaled.
 
Back
Top