Soft\Runny Poo

We'll be waiting eagerly for Chopper's results. Hope the little guy just has a little tummy upset. :yes:
 
Chopper got worms
The vet as gave Chopper a week of antibiotic and worm meds.
Anyone know a good trick to make chopper eat his meds.
I'm having hardest time feeding him the meds that needs to be taken without food.

Thanks for all the information so far
:winkgrin:
 
Well I find peanut butter goes well with everything for dogs! Or you could enclose a tablet in a piece of cheese.
 
Well I find peanut butter goes well with everything for dogs! Or you could enclose a tablet in a piece of cheese.

We use peanut butter too. I think the trick is to let them lick a little of the peanut butter, and then sort of put the rest of the peanut butter (and pill) in their mouth (I usually scrape it against their teeth to get it off my hand). That way they can't distinguish between the pill and the pb.
 
Chopper got worms
The vet as gave Chopper a week of antibiotic and worm meds.
Anyone know a good trick to make chopper eat his meds.
I'm having hardest time feeding him the meds that needs to be taken without food.

Thanks for all the information so far
:winkgrin:

I have no suggestions for pills without food- my dogs get their meds in squeeze cheese :no:
 
If the pill must be administered without food your only option may be to hold the dogs mouth open while you push the pill part way down the throat then close the month and hold the head up until they swallow. (I usually stroke the neck at the same time.)

I HATE HATE HATE doing this but when I don't have any food available you need to do what you need to do.

My preference is to hide the pill in peanut butter.

The only other option I can think of is to crush the pill, mix it in water and administer it with a syringe. I'd check with the vet before doing this however because some pills can't be crushed.
 
if your vet gave you flagyl or metronidazole it is better to have it with food. same as sulfa drugs and prednisone, the only one I could think of is levaquin which is better to be taken on empty stomach.When they give you suggestion of giving meds on empty stomach the small amount of food you will wrap it around will not make a difference.
Another thing I would be concerned is to take deworming meds and antibiotics together... personally I would treat worms first and do abx treatment after if needed, less chemistry is more in such cases... may not be popular vet recomendation but I find it works better- fix the cause, see if it relieves symptoms, treat the symptoms if needed...
Che and I going through deworming process as well, he was found to have whipworms and received dose of Drontal plus which I believe he did not tolerate well and had a lot of GI upset... so we did 18 hr food withholding with chicken broth and rice afterwards and started him on herbal mixture of slippery elm bark with marshmallow/Althea officinalis/ and ecchinacea... if I did not see relief from the herbal treatments after 48 hrs I would have started him on flagyl to control bowel inflammation caused by worms.... thankfully he is having nice firm stools again and back on his regular food with caution.
 
Chopper got worms
The vet as gave Chopper a week of antibiotic and worm meds.
Anyone know a good trick to make chopper eat his meds.
I'm having hardest time feeding him the meds that needs to be taken without food.

Thanks for all the information so far
:winkgrin:

Well we use cheese here with great results. And we have before taken the pill and cut in half,shove it in a small piece of hotdog,or something. What littel bit of food that is,i'm sure it would not hurt.

But when all else fails,and we hate doing it,is simply to open the mouth,take the pill,and quickly and shove it deep in the throat.Take your hand and gently hold the muzzled closed,and stroke the throat to encourage swallowing.

Make sure they get something to drink after,as there is nothing worse than to have that pill stuck and burning in the throat.

Try just a bit of applesauce if the pill can be crushed,ask you vet first.

I always needed help with Earnhardt,but now he could care and takes his daily pain meds,like candy.

What did he have for a parasite? After this episode,think about monthly preventative for worms~ A tape worm is another whole ball game.

Usually the common one for diarreha is Metronidazole (sp) it works very well usually.I find it strange that he would say with no food,especially for this,as it is a sulpha drug.But I'm not sure what he gave you.You should have some very quick results with this if thats what he gave you.

There is always a way to get a pill down,just do it with quickness,don't be all vocal about it,just get it done and over with.
 
Back
Top