Something I learned about dogs eating poop

So - adding pineapple to the food. Is this the crushed pineapple?

Depends how you can get them to eat it, I used canned pineapple about a tablespoon full on each meal (for both dogs). The juice works too so if not a fan of eating the chunks can soak their regular food in the juice. We were lucky both Indi and Callie are fruit and veggie eaters they love the stuff can't eat a banana without them hearing you and coming to get their share so we didn't have any issues.
 
On a funny note, when Shelby was in her poop eating stage and not completey house broken my husband was in the basement with her. I suddenly heard him yelling at her to "drop it, come here etc." Next thing I hear her run into her tunnel and him getting her out. Suddenly he is yelling for me to get down stairs and he is gagging as if he will vomit at any moment. The concerned wife that I am I run downstairs thinking something is seriously wrong. Only to find Shelby with a mouth full of poop and my husband with a hand full of poop. He thought she found a Christmas cookie and was hiding in her tunnel to eat it. What a surprise when he stuck his hands in her mouth to get the cookie!! He wasn't too happy but I couldn't help but laugh.
 
Oh eew, playing with it... :dead:

Something else I've heard that works (never tried it!) is to sprinkle anise - the herb - on their food. It's supposed to work in the same way as the For-bid; might also be worth a try.

We were told with my first sheltie to feed black licorice--she loved it. Not sure if it worked that much, we just tried to keep an eye on her.
 
Romeo eats his poop. And when I go near him to try and stop him, he picks it up and tries to gobble it down even faster, like it's a piece of prime steak. :dead: I've given up trying to stop him. If he wants to digest his food twice, that's fine by me. I'll just stop accepting kisses from him!
 
Romeo eats his poop. And when I go near him to try and stop him, he picks it up and tries to gobble it down even faster, like it's a piece of prime steak. :dead: I've given up trying to stop him. If he wants to digest his food twice, that's fine by me. I'll just stop accepting kisses from him!

LOL Bailey used to eat her poop too. And she would get really mad when I tried to clean it up and she wanted to eat it. She also likes to eat my parents' dogs poop :dead:

Like already suggested, I stopped her poop consumption by cleaning it up as soon as she poops. This meant I had to either walk her or go out in the yard with her all the time. I tried all the other stuff, for-bid, meat tenderizer, putting tabasco sauce on her poop...nothing worked.

Recently, she ate some of my parents' dog's poop when we went over their house. I didn't see her do it, but on the ride home, she vomited it all up. Nothing is worse than poop vomit. I almost threw up myself. I had to drive home with the windows open when it was below 20 degrees outside.
 
LOL Bailey used to eat her poop too. And she would get really mad when I tried to clean it up and she wanted to eat it. She also likes to eat my parents' dogs poop :dead:

Like already suggested, I stopped her poop consumption by cleaning it up as soon as she poops. This meant I had to either walk her or go out in the yard with her all the time. I tried all the other stuff, for-bid, meat tenderizer, putting tabasco sauce on her poop...nothing worked.

Recently, she ate some of my parents' dog's poop when we went over their house. I didn't see her do it, but on the ride home, she vomited it all up. Nothing is worse than poop vomit. I almost threw up myself. I had to drive home with the windows open when it was below 20 degrees outside.

Once again thanking the doggie gods that Riley has never entertained the idea of eating his or anyone else's poo. :dead:
 
LOL Bailey used to eat her poop too. And she would get really mad when I tried to clean it up and she wanted to eat it. She also likes to eat my parents' dogs poop :dead:

Like already suggested, I stopped her poop consumption by cleaning it up as soon as she poops. This meant I had to either walk her or go out in the yard with her all the time. I tried all the other stuff, for-bid, meat tenderizer, putting tabasco sauce on her poop...nothing worked.

Recently, she ate some of my parents' dog's poop when we went over their house. I didn't see her do it, but on the ride home, she vomited it all up. Nothing is worse than poop vomit. I almost threw up myself. I had to drive home with the windows open when it was below 20 degrees outside.

Oh my goodness :eek2: Marlowe went through poop-eating phase but, mercifully, he has a cast iron stomach.
 
Recently, she ate some of my parents' dog's poop when we went over their house. I didn't see her do it, but on the ride home, she vomited it all up. Nothing is worse than poop vomit. I almost threw up myself. I had to drive home with the windows open when it was below 20 degrees outside.

:lol::lol::lol: I had a foster poop in the car before. Oh. Good. Grief. The smell! Thankfully we were just arriving! I hope your trip was a short one!! :lol:
 
I can't honestly remember where I heard or read this but one thing you can try is throwing popcorn around the yard and getting your dog to look for it. It won't hurt the dog and any leftovers will be eaten by the birds. The idea is that the dog looks for the popcorn instead of the poop.
When I first got into dogs I was told by a pro handler not to clean up poop in front of puppies or they might start this habit. Don't know how much truth there is to that but I followed his advice.
 
Back
Top