Subcutaneous Mast Cell Tumour

My go-to for pills is either peanut butter or yogurt. My dogs LOVE yogurt. I buy the organic low-fat vanilla or banana flavored ones. You have to make sure it doesn't have xylitol in it..it's frequently used as a sweetener for yogurt and is toxic to dogs. Peanut butter is great because it's very sticky and hard for them to separate the pill from their mouth...although I have had dogs that can, and it sure sounds like Grace might be one of them!

Another option I've tried is to roll it in a thin piece of deli meat. Shelties are wicked smart and sneaky...the ones that have radar for pills are tough to fool! Checkers takes a Benadryl every day and hates it. I frequently find it on the floor long after I'm sure she's swallowed it. Thank goodness they're bright pink!

I'm so glad to hear that Grace is back to normal. She looks terrific and like such a sweetie. Who would *never* spit her pills out! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
 
I like Trini’s method of the canned food but don’t think mine would allow to be tipped upside down lol.
Not quite tipped upside down :ROFLMAO: I hold him in my lap on his back and rub his tummy which he loves and then pop the wrapped pill into his mouth and by being on his back it lands in the back of his mouth and he automatically swallows and down it goes.
Trini
 
We have purchased wet dog food and so far so good with the pills. Fingers crossed. Grace gets less kibble now though and she looks at me as much to say 'is that all?' You can't have both, Grace! :D
:) Shelties almost always believe they are being starved, so Grace is just being true to her Shelties genes. Three cheers for wet dog food working with the pills...hope it continues.
Trini
 
Back
Top