Sugar has low thyroid...any advise???

Sugars new mom

Forums Regular
I just found out Sugar has a low thyroid count 0.5 with 0.8 being considered low. That explains why he always sleeps and won't play. His thyriod medicine has to be taken 2x's daily and he will be on it the rest of his life, he is 5 years old. Anyone else dealing with this? Any advise on how to care for him?

Worried Sugar's New Mom :(
 
Not a life threatening terrible issue to be diagnosed with, Just make sure you check Sugars level at about 3-4 months in on the pill to make sure shes getting the right dosage to maintain a level..It does take awhile for the level to build up so thats why waiting the 3 or so months to re-test.

Unfortunately it is a common issue in Shelties, once they have a level just continue montering with periodic lab work and thats about it.
 
I just found out Sugar has a low thyroid count 0.5 with 0.8 being considered low. That explains why he always sleeps and won't play. His thyriod medicine has to be taken 2x's daily and he will be on it the rest of his life, he is 5 years old. Anyone else dealing with this? Any advise on how to care for him?

Worried Sugar's New Mom :(

I have littermates who are 5 1/2 with low thyroid and they were diagnosed when they were 4. Honestly, it's not all that different from thyroid problems in humans. Keep Sugar on his medication twice a day and he'll be fine. It really is a very easy problem to control. Also, get the book by Dr. Dodds Dawn mentioned. She is the undeniable expert on canine thyroid disease.

Your vet, as Linda mentioned, will want to check him after 3 or 4 months to make sure the dose of medication. Once you have him on the correct dose of medication, I'd recommend testing his thyroid levels annually to ensure the medicine doesn't need to be adjusted. (Not unusual as humans or dogs age.) I get mine tested with their annual checkup.
 
http://www.amazon.com/The-Canine-Thyroid-Epidemic-Answers/dp/1617810169

I would order this book by Dr. Jean Dodds "The Canine Thyroid Epidemic" she is an amazing woman and many of us here have spoken to her about issues with our Shelties. She is always willing to offer her input and help. Google her as well and you can find her numbers through her website.

Thank you very much for the link to Dr. Dodds, I just hope to see an improvement in his activity level in a couple of months.
 
I have littermates who are 5 1/2 with low thyroid and they were diagnosed when they were 4. Honestly, it's not all that different from thyroid problems in humans. Keep Sugar on his medication twice a day and he'll be fine. It really is a very easy problem to control. Also, get the book by Dr. Dodds Dawn mentioned. She is the undeniable expert on canine thyroid disease.

Your vet, as Linda mentioned, will want to check him after 3 or 4 months to make sure the dose of medication. Once you have him on the correct dose of medication, I'd recommend testing his thyroid levels annually to ensure the medicine doesn't need to be adjusted. (Not unusual as humans or dogs age.) I get mine tested with their annual checkup.



When did you see a change in their activity level. I will be so happy to see him play.
 
Mine don't really play with toys; never have. Where I saw the change was in Edan's agility runs. Within a few months of being on the medication, and it does take a few months to really stabilize in their system which is why vet's do another blood test in 3-4 months, Edan went from running a standard course in 50-60 seconds to 40-45 seconds; some courses in 35-40 seconds depending on the course design.

His temperament also improved; he was getting very grouchy and snippy.

Finally, his coat improved DRAMATICALLY - within 2 weeks. After a month he was a poof ball of fur. (He had no undercoat for almost 6 months.)
 
Bacca was diagnosed when he was still just barely a pup. He is now 4 years old. His diagnosis was "by accident"....ie....we were trying to find out why he his mouth had swollen up and bloodwork revealed this.

In reality, it is fairly common in younger dogs, but rarely diagnosed until they get older and actually start to how the symptoms.

Bacca's is controlled with Thyro-tab. About once a year he gets a flare up and kinda goes off his food and regular eating habits. Currently, he is balking at taking his pills.

I've also noticed in the last two years, Bacca stopped playing as well. If I present him with a toy, he just looks at it....."You want me to do WHAT?" And I still find his overall activity level very low. When we go for a walk, off leash, Bacca is always lagging.....

When he goes for his next physical, I will be asking the vet about this.
 
Bacca was diagnosed when he was still just barely a pup. He is now 4 years old. His diagnosis was "by accident"....ie....we were trying to find out why he his mouth had swollen up and bloodwork revealed this.

In reality, it is fairly common in younger dogs, but rarely diagnosed until they get older and actually start to how the symptoms.

Bacca's is controlled with Thyro-tab. About once a year he gets a flare up and kinda goes off his food and regular eating habits. Currently, he is balking at taking his pills.

I've also noticed in the last two years, Bacca stopped playing as well. If I present him with a toy, he just looks at it....."You want me to do WHAT?" And I still find his overall activity level very low. When we go for a walk, off leash, Bacca is always lagging.....

When he goes for his next physical, I will be asking the vet about this.


That is what Sugar does now with toys just looks, walks away and lays down...the reason he was diagnosed so he late is because we just got him 6 weeks ago, I suspect he has had this problem for a while. His owner passed away in March and was very sick for 3 years so Sugar didnt really get any exercise and the vet he used to go to didnt catch it. I hope Bacca gets better and your vet is able to help, the thyroid is such a tricky changable gland. Thanks so much for your input.
 
Mine don't really play with toys; never have. Where I saw the change was in Edan's agility runs. Within a few months of being on the medication, and it does take a few months to really stabilize in their system which is why vet's do another blood test in 3-4 months, Edan went from running a standard course in 50-60 seconds to 40-45 seconds; some courses in 35-40 seconds depending on the course design.

His temperament also improved; he was getting very grouchy and snippy.

Finally, his coat improved DRAMATICALLY - within 2 weeks. After a month he was a poof ball of fur. (He had no undercoat for almost 6 months.)

So maybe he will not ever play with toys, I have tried to get him to run he will only trot for a few seconds sometimes he is like a donkey and just stops and refuses to move (I think it's cute but I wouldn't tell him that). I can only hope that by the end of Summer he will improve. That's good news about Edan so I am very hopeful, thanks for your help.
 
Back
Top