MissyGallant
Forums Enthusiast
16 years ago, I went to visit my mom who had just gotten an eight week old puppy named Bonnie. Bonnie's breeders weren't very ethical and she was really only about five weeks old. None the less, I fell in love. 4 years ago, I finally had a house and a fenced in yard. I'd put Bonnie's first born puppy to sleep the week before my wedding, and mom asked me if I wanted Bonnie because she knew I always wanted her. I asked my husband who said Of course. Bonnie got brushed and walked and loved by all of us. She never learned to fetch because her part of the fetch game was to try to prevent every other dog from getting that ball. She even met a Shetland sheep, who butted her in the head, which judging by the look on her face, she tough was highly rude.
A year or so ago, she had a stroke. She got better, but she tilted her head in the cutest fashion imaginable when she walked. She could still jump onto the couch, but needed help getting to the bed.
In the past few months, she has declined. She is blind and deaf. She sleeps most of the time. But when she is awake, she still makes sure that Clara's ears are clean. But in the awake time, she hasn't played with Clara no matter how hard Clara tries. Last week, she got even worse, she has a sensitive spot like her son did. She can't eat. She is in renal failure. And Saturday I went to bring her inside and watched as she tripped over a garden hose and landed face first against the house as she fell into our window well. She wasn't hurt. But it made us fully realize it is time to say goodbye. So tomorrow, we will.
And this is shattering my heart. It is like saying goodbye to Brodie twice. And needing to delay is wretched, but Mom wants to be there too, and Wednesday is when she can. I think it was easier when I had to make an on the spot decision about Brodie. Thnking about it and deciding when just hurts too much.
A year or so ago, she had a stroke. She got better, but she tilted her head in the cutest fashion imaginable when she walked. She could still jump onto the couch, but needed help getting to the bed.
In the past few months, she has declined. She is blind and deaf. She sleeps most of the time. But when she is awake, she still makes sure that Clara's ears are clean. But in the awake time, she hasn't played with Clara no matter how hard Clara tries. Last week, she got even worse, she has a sensitive spot like her son did. She can't eat. She is in renal failure. And Saturday I went to bring her inside and watched as she tripped over a garden hose and landed face first against the house as she fell into our window well. She wasn't hurt. But it made us fully realize it is time to say goodbye. So tomorrow, we will.
And this is shattering my heart. It is like saying goodbye to Brodie twice. And needing to delay is wretched, but Mom wants to be there too, and Wednesday is when she can. I think it was easier when I had to make an on the spot decision about Brodie. Thnking about it and deciding when just hurts too much.

Give her a last pet from us.