Teaching puppy to 'Sit'

Skyla'sMom

Forums Regular
I started working with Skyla today to teach her how to 'sit'. I tried the method Victoria Stilwell uses in her "positive teaching" method - doesnt work. So I tried another way that I read about on e-how.com.

The problem is, when I hold the treat and dont give it to her, she looks at me like I'm being a tease or a big meanie, gets disinterested and leaves looking for something else to do. I've tried doggie treats (which she loves) but I find them to break easily and get mushy from her mouthing it (and my fingers! ouch!), so I tried her puppy food which she loves also but she gets bored quickly.

What did you find worked best for you when training your sheltie to sit? How old was your pup before you started? Skyla is 9 weeks old, has done extremely well crate training and house breaking. We've had her for 4 days now and she's very responsive and attentive - until she gets bored with it lol.

Thanks for any advice! :fl
 
awww
she sounds adorable

Don't forget she IS a BABY
So keep your training SHORTTTTT, and the treats need to be TINY little smelly bits of total goodness she ONLY gets during training.
So tiny pieces of cheese is what I use for my cheesehound...
often if a dog looses interest sessions are too long or treats not good enough, lol

Decide on what relationship you want to have, one where you give the dog a choice to learn or one where you MAKE the dog obey... You are laying a foundation right now, so I would encourage you to stick with positive reenforcement... there are a LOT of us here who believe that is the way to go
 
awww
she sounds adorable

Don't forget she IS a BABY
So keep your training SHORTTTTT, and the treats need to be TINY little smelly bits of total goodness she ONLY gets during training.
So tiny pieces of cheese is what I use for my cheesehound...
often if a dog looses interest sessions are too long or treats not good enough, lol

Decide on what relationship you want to have, one where you give the dog a choice to learn or one where you MAKE the dog obey... You are laying a foundation right now, so I would encourage you to stick with positive reenforcement... there are a LOT of us here who believe that is the way to go

Thanks! No, she loses interest pretty much right away when she realizes that treat is not coming out of my fingers - and the look she gives me breaks my heart lol kind of like "why are you being so mean to me and not giving me my treat?"

I've only started her on it today, I try to do it not near mealtime so she is interested in eating, and I have been keeping it super short (basically under 5 minutes at the moment since she loses interest so quickly). She's too smart for her own good, she'll go over to where she knows I got the treats from (she hears the bag, and she knows its treat time since she recognized the sound from her potty treats - but Im using a different treat for sit training) and jump up at it. I may have to resort to hiding the bag so she cant see it on the table!

I know the first few times she's not going to understand. So I just wondered what sort of training method others have used and how old was your pup when you started. I am going for positive training =) and I want her to work it out herself and use that smart brain. Im not really into forcing a dog to obey since she's a family pet, she just wont get the treat ;-)
 
I agree keep it short. Their attention span just isnt there as puppies. Some times not so much as adults either:rolleyes2:

Im not sure of the victoria method what I do is hold a piece of cheese or hotdog (make sure its a treat they only get for doing tricks not given any other time so it remains special) over their head as they are looking up their bum hits the floor with me saying sit. I never have to touch the dog their body mechanics do the work. I do this over several training sessions over a few days and they usually have it good. Than I can work into the down from sit position. While they are sitting I take the treat and bring it down in front of them so they bring their body down flat on the ground following the treat. I never have to put a hand on any of the dogs ive trained.
 
I agree keep it short. Their attention span just isnt there as puppies. Some times not so much as adults either:rolleyes2:

Im not sure of the victoria method what I do is hold a piece of cheese or hotdog (make sure its a treat they only get for doing tricks not given any other time so it remains special) over their head as they are looking up their bum hits the floor with me saying sit. I never have to touch the dog their body mechanics do the work. I do this over several training sessions over a few days and they usually have it good. Than I can work into the down from sit position. While they are sitting I take the treat and bring it down in front of them so they bring their body down flat on the ground following the treat. I never have to put a hand on any of the dogs ive trained.

Yes, I tried that method as well (read it on the e-how website), hold it about an inch away from her nose, then raise it up over her head so her head goes back - the only problem is she walks backward instead of putting her butt on the ground :lol: . We'll keep working on it, I may have to try cheese or hotdogs instead of puppy purchased dog treats! Because we all know, it's probably me doing it wrong :wink2:
 
Try with a wall behind her. Nowhere to go but down. Also, sometimes if they are backing, you need to come up with the treat more while going back.
 
Agree with Linda and Stacey there.
I think a smaller, smellier HIGH value treat is a good thing for training, lol
also maybe try getting more down to her level? possibly your face is to high up, maybe she needs to look up into your face and backs up to do so...?
and YAYYYYY for team positive reinforcement :D
 
FWIW! When Tara came to us at six years old she didn't do 'sit'. I did the back up to the cupboard idea and by accident walked Tara back to a corner. She sat immediately and had a big fuss and double treat. That was it she had learned. However she is the most intelligent dog in the world:lol: and he most stuborn sometimes:gaah. Good luck
 
Agree with Linda and Stacey there.
I think a smaller, smellier HIGH value treat is a good thing for training, lol
also maybe try getting more down to her level? possibly your face is to high up, maybe she needs to look up into your face and backs up to do so...?
and YAYYYYY for team positive reinforcement :D

Heehee, we'll try it! I had hubby pick up some hotdogs, so we'll give that a try. I told him to pick up some cheese squares too but he forgot them :ick She doesnt need to learn it right away, just something she and I can do together and hoping I can get her to sit when my youngest daughter comes in the room so she isnt nipping at her ankles so much :smile2:
 
Back
Top