The path of "leashed" resistance

Lunatic59

Forums Enthusiast
Everything I've found about lead training is talking about how to keep your dog from pulling while leashed. I have the exact opposite problem. One of my puppies becomes a timid little bunny rabbit as soon as the leash is hooked to his collar. He freezes and not only won't move, but as soon as any tension is applied (not even a tug, just a little pull) he fights wildly and falls to the ground and rolls on his back in submission. I have tried treats to motivate him, but he really isn't food motivated and even things like hot dog pieces fail to encourage him.

We have managed a few "walks" around the block but we had to go as a group ... Jackson, the problem puppy (see photo), Franklin, his brother and Skully. My wife and I walking a dog who loves to walk, a pup who wants to explore and one who hides behind trees is better done as a comedy routine than dog training.

For the record, he is fine in the yard and he's fine with other dogs as long as they are fine with him. He wears his collar all the time and has no problem and he doesn't fight hooking the leash to the collar, just walking on the leash.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130810_062632.jpg
    IMG_20130810_062632.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
I'd be inclined to start him out with a very long leash; don't pull on it at all, and let him come to you naturally with it on. As he gets more comfortable with the feel of it and associates it with moving toward you, things should go better.
 
Well Jackson, aka" King Of The Hill", looks like quite a rebel. Try leaving the leash on him while he is in the house and after he is used to that tie it around your waist and let him follow you around the house. Toffee's Mom always suggests a wooden spoon with peanut butter on it held down to snout level to intice him to follow at your side. Have fun with the "wild child".
 
I'd be inclined to start him out with a very long leash; don't pull on it at all, and let him come to you naturally with it on. As he gets more comfortable with the feel of it and associates it with moving toward you, things should go better.

Tried that. As soon as the leash is attached he freezes. I hooked him up in the foyer and he refused to step onto the porch even though without the leash attached he races for the door. I picked him up and carried him to the sidewalk and set him down with the other dog. I sat next to him on the grass and petted him for 10 minutes. He just sat/stood there. He seemed at times terrified to move.

Well Jackson, aka" King Of The Hill", looks like quite a rebel. Try leaving the leash on him while he is in the house and after he is used to that tie it around your waist and let him follow you around the house. Toffee's Mom always suggests a wooden spoon with peanut butter on it held down to snout level to intice him to follow at your side. Have fun with the "wild child".

Done that too (although, not the peanut butter on the spoon thing ... must try that one. :smile2:). It's like he thinks the leash is a boat anchor or something. He's never been tied or tethered, at least not since we brought him home at 8 weeks old.

That's their favorite rock. We have a lot of natural rock formations in our yard, but that's the only one they are permitted to climb. I call it "puppy mountain" :wink2:.

Here's Franklin on his way up (or is it down?)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130810_062656.jpg
    IMG_20130810_062656.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 26
What about hooking on a VERY short piece of a leash (like 4-6") and just leaving it on him for a while in the house? - that way he'll have the sensation of something hanging from his collar, but no visible leash. Keep it short enough that he's not going to be able to get tangled in anything and then let him go about his business. (keep it a short enough piece that you don't have to constantly supervise)

I think if you hook the bit on and walk away he might stand there for a few minutes wondering what's going on, but once he realizes that there really seems to be no leash there, he should start moving around as usual.

Once he's moving around and seems to be used to the sensation of someting hanging from his collar, I'd periodically handle the piece of leash. Move it around, give it a tiny tug, etc and then walk away again.

Once he's comfortable with the the tiny leash, I'd try attaching the real leash and walking away (of course, this time he'd need more supervision in case he got tangled up)

Good luck!!
 
Does he have the urge to herd you? You might put him on leash in the yard without holding it and then run from him. That is how I got Sca used to the leash but running laps in the back yard. Strangely Spitfire has always been a leash expert despite his difficult nature :confused2:
 
He may not like his neck being tugged on. Ida doesn't, and she WILL NOT move if the leash is on her collar. Maybe getting a harness would help. Of corse he'ed have to get used to the harness before you put on the leash. I also like Mikos Mom's idea with the short leash, and Toffee's Mom's peanut butter/wooden spoon idea. Good luck and let us know if anything works.:yes:
 
I'd try a harness as well (front attaching is my preference), Shelties can be so sensitive and smart and with their little necks maybe the sensation of a collar is unpleasant for him. He might be so surprised by a new bit of gear that he forgets to be scared!
 
Back
Top