The Yellow Dog Project

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
This link may not work for everyone....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100642713709597&set=gm.10151868921128291&type=1&theater

This is a project to educate dog walkers about the need for space for some dogs. There are many reasons why you may choose to bring your dog to an open leash park on a leash. Largely, it would be to start re-socializing them. These dogs need a chance to learn control.

I will say this....anyone who walks their dog off leash, and comes across a dog on leash, you should do instant recall. If your dog does not recall, you have no business walking your dog off leash. I don't care if it is an off leash park or not.

This may be an unpopular opinion . And frankly I think the yellow ribbon is redundant. A dog on leash means the owner want the dog to have space. Period.
 
My Vet in Philadelphia is trying to get this passed in our city council, She is one of the many reasons why I won't move(despite my crappy neighbors). why would I cut my nose to spite my face when I have an awesome vet
 
We've been using a yellow ribbon for about a year now on the occasions when I take Epic to public venues. The Yellow Dog Project was at the Paws in the Park show I attended at the weekend and a lot of dogs were wearing the ribbons and 'Give me Space' coats. I think it did make people visiting the show more aware of the requirements of other dogs which is nice and anything which teaches people that it isn't acceptable to allow their dogs to push into another dog's face is good in my book. I'm sick and tired of seeing my own dogs and other people's attacked, chased and frightened by dogs whose owners have no control. I've copied out the notice I stuck up yesterday where Epic was chased on monday:

"To the person whose black labrador chased my sheltie yesterday,
For your information, I finally caught my dog after he had run over two roads. Your lack of concern or apology shows you are not a dog lover or a responsible owner.
I would strongly suggest you do not let your dog off lead until you have trained it properly to come back and not chase other dogs.
If your dog had run in front of a car or knocked someone over yesterday it could have caused a serious injury - for which you would be liable.
Please show some consideration for others in future!"

Hopefully the owner will read it and feel ashamed enough to take my advice but I somehow doubt it as I've been told it was running around out of control today and harassing someone else's on lead dog. :mad:

So yes I think this is a great idea in situations where dogs are or ought to be on leads, but sadly off lead it is of little use.
 
Seashel

I'm going out on a limb here and I am going to say that off leash dog walking is a two way street.

I don't think you can blame another dog for your dog bolting when off leash.

As an owner, you have to know your dog and trust your dogs recall. If you can't recall your dog under extraordinary circumstances then your dog should not be off leash, period. Its just too dangerous! So if another dog is chasing them, then you need to recall the dog immediately. If the other dog is still aggressive then yes, you have to advise the other owner that your dog is now leashed and under control. Please do the same with your loose dog until we move on.

That being said, I do support the yellow project in helping to socialize dogs so eventually they might be able to be off leash. Its all about proper management, and most times its the owner at fault, not the dogs.

Ducking now! :hide
 
Barb V

The problem that I have is that I encounter owners who are walking their dogs off leash in areas that are NOT OFF LEASH. My park I go to in the morning is not an off leash park, yet, dog owners seem to think its perfectly okay because their dog is "perfect" and if its an issue its the other dogs owner.

And let's forget about the park, I was walking Beau this morning on a city side walk and came across a woman about my size(5 ft) who was walking what appeared to be a woolly mammoth size dog off leash on the side walk. In addition, to the larger size dog she was also walking a puppy that was the same breed. If something had happened between my dog and her dog, she would not have been able to pull him off of me or Beau.

What makes me angry is that she asked me if my dog was friendly or not. This is not an issue of whether my dog, or some one else dog has aggressive issues or not, or whether or not someone's dog has perfect recall.

The yellow dog project is at its core best reminding people, particularly dog people that EVERYONE has not only the right but the expectation of personal space in public areas. This coming December will mark Beau' and mine 4 year anniversary(where did the time go) and in all that time I have yet to see a dog listen to their owners recall once they are in that zone. I think most dog owners are a little delusional to think that they can get their dog when they go after another dog, and then of course they are quick to blame the other dog.
 
Last edited:
I must admit I found myself wondering what Cadbury would have done if he had seen Epic run. I don't let him off lead often, he has a sturdy horse lunge line I use for walking him for a bit of freedom.

He likes to play chase with other dogs and when I see ones I know I let him off to run with them. He has never chased a dog far, or for that matter a dog he had not initiated play with, but I still ponder over it. Would he have chased Epic? If he had would he have gone that far? My gut says no, but I guess this is why Cadbury mostly stays on a long line.

On the other hand he is good with nervous dogs because of his submissive nature, but he still does that Labrador 'charge' albeit ending up on his back showing his tummy and letting the other dog know he is safe.
 
I'm not for off leash walking. It opens up the chance for too much trouble. I could recall mine, but that's not the point. I want to easily be able to pick mine up if it is needed, and I do not under any circumstances appreciate off leash approaches from dogs, and even on leash, not unless I know the dog and person and approve of how that particular dog behaves.
A dog, even a submissive dog, running up into my Aurora's space, whether to intimidate/attack her, or to flail around on the ground in front of her is something that I would guarantee would earn the offending dog a bite as she when pushed is fear aggressive and will not tolerate a large dog charging up to her space. And I don't blame her one bit, given her past with being attacked.
It would be much easier to walk dogs if everyone would just keep their dogs on leash and keep them out of other dogs faces unless invited. Well trained or not, friendly or not, they don't need the opportunity to invade others space, or to run off if something happened.
 
I agree with the issue in this area being more people NOT following leash laws... VA beach has a strict leash law on the beach yet everyone lets their dogs off leash. I took Ruu to the beach this past weekend and we encountered a puppy around Ruutu's age off leash just running around. The owners continued to tell me how well trained their puppy is and he's never like this. Uh. That's why he should be on a leash. He didn't listen at all and just stayed with me, FI and Ruu instead of going back to his parents when called.
 
I think in the UK it is generally accepted if you own a dog then at some point you let it run loose in a park, unless it has problems. I know behaviourists recommend this as a part of a dogs exercise.

I love to be able to let my boys loose to run. I have to pick and choose the places I let Cadbury off, but Merlin is off lead on all his walks. Except near roads naturally.

In general I try to live and let live. We had this Pointer pup follow us on the beach the other day, it's owners were calling but it was too interested in Cadbury. Eventually the owner came over apologised and thanked me for not walking off, which other dog walkers will do, causing the pup to follow them and get further and further from the owners.

As long as a dog is not nastily aggressive I will forgive most bad manners if the owner apologises. I know my two are not perfect and make mistakes, Cadbury being the worst:wink2:
 
Back
Top