Theme names

Narmowen

Forums Enthusiast
So, I know I'm not the only one who names their puppies with themes. Anyone else? :biggrin2: We have music themes. :)

I've had Tangled Up In Blue (Sally)
Rhapsody in Blue (Molly)

In the past, (grandmother's dogs)
Lady in Red (Kelly)
Me n Bobby McGee (Bobby)
Yellow Rose of Texas (Kathy)
Earth Wind N' Fire (Munchkin)
Cherokee Morning (Annie)
 
Yep! There are too many names to choose from, a theme narrows it down quite a bit!

Bentley, Coastal's Blue Train Special (blue train special was the name of Bentley's speed six coupe race car built in the 30's)
Lexi, Whisperwind's Pursuit of Perfection (pursuit of perfection is Lexus' slogan)
 
I don't really have a theme, other than for name meanings. However, with Emma and Liam - they are both Irish and I have a strong strong family history of Irish ancestors on my Mom's side.
 
For show names our theme is their parents or grandparents name, we combine them.

For regular names, I have tendency to go for names from video games or tv programs I like. I have extremely geeky dog names, I have Logan (from X-Men and the character really matches his) and Kairi (from Kingdom Hearts, my favourite game)

I particularly like the name Kairi because its a normal enough sounding name so no one would really notice but the people who know the game will really appreciate it
 
If I ever bred, I'd do railroad themes: Nattering Springs the Trainmaster (Eddie, after my dad and DH's grandpa); there are so many possibilities!!
 
I decided with this litter that was born just before Memorial Day, of going with patriotic names. What I've come up with so far:

(kennel name) Liberty Bell (call name for now: Bell)
(kennel name) Stars and Stripes (call name for now: Star)
(kennel name) Some Gave All (call name for now: Soldier)
(kennel name) Wave The Flag (call name for now: Banner)
(kennel name) TwentyOne Gun Salute (call name for now: Gunny)

Of course new owners will choose their own call names, but I want to make sure the registered names stick with the theme :)
 
We had theme names as well. A few, actually.

Some examples:
Belgians:Ribbon of Darkness
In the Midnite Hour
Pipes of Peace
In My Fashion
As Time Goes By

Westies: Can you guess the relationships yet??
New Kid in Towyn
The Beat Goes On
Brand New Beat
Can't Stop the Music

Time After Time
One More Time
Three Quarter Time
Time's Own Measure out of Made to Measure by Measure for Measure
Once Upon a Time

This led to a fairy tale theme:

Cast a Spell
Mystic Crystal
Brilliant Disguise
Wizard of Auz
Magic Moment

I can look at the dog's name and instantly recall it's lineage by the themes.
 
The litter Sadie came from was wine themed. Sadie was originally named Sangiovese, Angie for short. I don't remember most of the pups names, but another was Pinot.

Ginny's litter was mainly Harry Potter Themed, which I guess is obvious to HP fans. Her brother's name was Padfood, but it was changed to Brodie. :smile2:
 
I decided with this litter that was born just before Memorial Day, of going with patriotic names. What I've come up with so far:

(kennel name) Liberty Bell (call name for now: Bell)
(kennel name) Stars and Stripes (call name for now: Star)
(kennel name) Some Gave All (call name for now: Soldier)
(kennel name) Wave The Flag (call name for now: Banner)
(kennel name) TwentyOne Gun Salute (call name for now: Gunny)

Of course new owners will choose their own call names, but I want to make sure the registered names stick with the theme :)

wonderful, i love the theme
for the call name of Some Gave All, i would use call name TAG.
(after my first husband who was killed in Nam, T.A.G.
 
Bacca's litter was named after wine and liquor (e.g. Remi Martin, Portia, etc.)

He was actually named Guisseppe when I got him (he didn't get a fancy wine name because he was not going for show).

Then my son named him Chewbacca and I shortened it to Bacca (only realizing later that Bacchus is the God of Wine, and bacchia (sp?) is the frenzy brought about by over-indulging.

Funny how that worked out!
 
Back
Top