This Guy Pulls At My Heart Strings...

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
I've been contemplating bringing home another puppy at some point from my favorite breeder, but always keep an eye on the site of our local sheltie rescue.

They posted this guy a few days ago and something about him just makes my heart melt.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17395947

He is SUCH a pretty boy! I would love to train him!

It doesn't sound as if he has a lot of issues and comes neutered and with his shots. They describe him as active so he would definitely fit in well with my girls. He just looks like such a sweet heart!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a rescue for a while, there was one other I came very close to adopting but I pulled back at the last minute because dh was having second thoughts.

He would rather have a pup that we can pick and mold into what we want, instead of someone else's disguarded pet who might not be perfect. I on the other hand would love the opportunity to give a homeless sheltie a forever home and enjoy the training. Another important thing to note is that I'm the one who does the training, not him.

As much as I love puppies, I would love nothing more than to skip the house breaking, crate training and many puppy phases,especially since the litter will be born in November, meaning that we'll be housebreaking in the dead of winter.

Can you think of any other good arguements as to why we should rescue, instead of getting a puppy?
 
There is no guarantee what a puppy will be perfect either. The breeder can possibly offer you some idea of the pups personality but that may not be a 100% certainty.


Dogs end up in rescue for many reasons some of them totally stupid. It doesn't necessarily mean they were a problem pet. There are a lot of advantages in getting a pet from rescue and you've mentioned most of them. Baxter came house trained and that was just great. He has never had an accident in the house yet and he's been with us a little over a year. He is a very sweet, loving boy and fit in very well here. I don't think he went to rescue because he was a problem for someone. He knew sit, down, shake,roll, has a good recall and he has some experience with a frisbee. Someone certainly took some time to train him. At my age I don't think I would ever do a puppy again. They are cute and fun but a heck of a lot of work too. I would not rule out taking another rescue at some point.
 
Last edited:
Our rescue, Annie Laurie, has changed our lives for the better. I can't imagine life without her -- she's the smartest, and the "enforcer" of the pack. Yes, I love my Norwood girls and boy, but I also thank my lucky stars for our precious rescue girl. :yes:
 
Last edited:
We so love our rescue boy Louie, He is such a good boy and loves us with a passion like none of the others. The other two have each other but he LOVES us! I will so miss him when he leaves us, it is breaking my heart watching him struggling to pee and hurting. We are so blessed to have him in our lives, I don't regret a minute of it. My concern would be how the rescue will fit in with your mix only, most of them aren't really problem dogs.
 
He's a very handsome little guy. He is also young to be in the rescue, which is nice. We love our little rescue girl :wink2:
 
Fitting in with my girls I think would be the biggest issue and I'd insist on meeting him with them first. Ginny is a bossy little thing but not the least bit aggressive or dominant and I've never seen her have trouble with other dogs. Sadie is excellent too, but doesn't like other dogs getting right in her face. In general she's excellent with other dogs too, particularly young ones.

I don't anticipate any problems but would be slightly concerned with Sadie, as I guess she would now be considered special needs and can't be knocked about too much. She is however very active and wrestles all the time with Ginny, so doubt there would be any problems.

Yeah, he is very young to be in a rescue, I wonder what his story is. My guess is that he may have been owned by someone older and had too much energy.
 
I didn't get Boo from a shelter but found him roaming in a field in Arkansas. So I guess in a round about way he is a rescue. I couldn't have asked for a better, smarter or more loving dog. Since I lost Tucker I have been thinking of getting another sheltie and I would do nothing else but rescue.....just because they are rescues doesn't make them any worse than any other dog. I personally would save a life.
 
I didn't get Boo from a shelter but found him roaming in a field in Arkansas. So I guess in a round about way he is a rescue. I couldn't have asked for a better, smarter or more loving dog. Since I lost Tucker I have been thinking of getting another sheltie and I would do nothing else but rescue.....just because they are rescues doesn't make them any worse than any other dog. I personally would save a life.

Yes! That's absolutely right! I'll be sure to point that out to DH. I think he sees it as they're all damaged in some way, when in reality some just don't end up being good fits for the homes they end up in. By the sounds of it this little guy is one of them.
 
Melissa, I know some people at the second chance sheltie rescue here in Saint Louis and dogs are not always turned in because the are damaged. Some owners pass away, and the dog is left with no one, some have financial problems and can no longer care for them, some people move and can't have animals. There are many reasons they are given up. And even if some are damaged should they be forgotten? I was damaged for along time...I'm sure glad no one kicked me to the curb and forgot about me. If you haven't, read the story about Brian, Michele & Mia.....(mbfrench) to me, these are two of the most wonderful people on this planet. Even if you have to fight thru a few problems with a rescue...you will never be sorry...these puppies give you back love like you have never received.
 
With an adult rescue, their personality, temperament and quirks are all set. You know exactly what you're going to get.

With a puppy, they're constantly changing. It is not uncommon for the extremely friendly puppy you brought him to turn into a shy adult. Even with proper socialization.

He's a cutie and sounds like a wonderful sheltie. I wouldn't wait too long to make your decision. Dogs like him are adopted out fast.
 
Back
Top