This Guy Pulls At My Heart Strings...

That's true too, although I'm fairly certain I'm through the worst of it with Sadie.

I'm dying to contact the rescue as he'll get snapped up quickly, but I don't want to be hasty when dh isn't on board yet.

I came across this video on FB today, coincidentally. I'll have to show it to dh, its really great. :smile2:

http://www.dogwork.com/feeling/

great video- hadn't seen this one before. the underwater pool footage is pretty amazing :yes:
 
The thing I noticed about him in the picture was he looked like he had very soulful eyes. Maybe that is what was pulling at your heartstrings. My first Sheltie was adopted from a Sheltie rescue, then the owners where looking for a new home for her when she was 2 1/2 years old. They needed to move to a new apartment so she needed a new home. I did not know anything about Shleties when I brought her home. She was well trained and extremely smart and I had her for 14 years after that. She died a year ago in July and I still choke up when I think about her. This maybe a wonderful dog waiting for you. Especially if he pulls at your heartstrings!
 
Having one rescue and one breeder sheltie, I can say without hesitation that you will get so much satisfaction out of knowing you saved the life of a sweet sheltie rescue. It is true that not all shelter dogs have something wrong with them, although in Cooper's case, his disabilities could have been the reason he was in the shelter. There are many, many wonderful dogs who simply need a new home for reasons unrelated to them in particular.

You definitely should take your girls with you when you meet any shelter dog. Meggie went with me to Judy's (Sunchaser) house and got to meet all the available doggies. But I knew before I got there that I'd be bringing Cooper home with me. It was just reiterated when we met and I saw his sweet face and personality. Although he is sight and hearing impaired, he is otherwise a perfect little dog. The one and only issue we have had was some housetraining issues in the beginning. Actually, to this day I put him in his kennel when I work, but beyond that he's been a wonderful addition to our home and we love him. And man, does he love me. I honestly think he's saying, "Wow, I hit the lottery! This mom is awesome." And he shows me everyday just how thankful he is. He's a real sweetheart! Whoever gave him up was the loser, I'm the blessed one to have him.
 
We got our first rescue as a puppy, which is rare. Bailey was purchased by a couple who realized puppies are a great deal of work. DH had never owned a dog and I really wanted him to have the experience of raising a dog from a puppy as I had grown up with dogs from childhood. The rescue foster Mom already had Bailey house broken when we got him, but the puppy chewing and other issues made us consider a slightly older dog when we got Katy.

We were able to specify an age range when we were searching for Katy. I knew I didn't want a puppy again and there aren't many that end up available for adoption.

One of the reasons I like the breed rescue is many of the people we have dealt with are sheltie breeders themselves. They understand the breed and can give you valuable insight into the dogs they have available for placement. We really wanted a compatible dog to be Bailey's companion. Katy really has been a good fit for him and I attribute that to the woman who read what we wrote and understood the dog she had and the dog we had and made a good match. We weren't sure if we wanted a boy or a girl for instance and she explained why of the dogs she had Katy would be a better temperment choice for Bailey. She was a great match maker, the two have become great friends.

We have a friend that brought home his favorite breed from a breeder that his previous dog had come from as a puppy and his issues have been far more than we have had with Katy. She is going to have trust issues for a while. It will be a while before she considers this a forever home. However, it would be a while before a puppy adjusted too.
 
Melissa, I know some people at the second chance sheltie rescue here in Saint Louis and dogs are not always turned in because the are damaged. Some owners pass away, and the dog is left with no one, some have financial problems and can no longer care for them, some people move and can't have animals. There are many reasons they are given up. And even if some are damaged should they be forgotten? I was damaged for along time...I'm sure glad no one kicked me to the curb and forgot about me. If you haven't, read the story about Brian, Michele & Mia.....(mbfrench) to me, these are two of the most wonderful people on this planet. Even if you have to fight thru a few problems with a rescue...you will never be sorry...these puppies give you back love like you have never received.

Melissa,

I have sat and read your posts,and this thread just now.I have to admit,I am a bit far behind on reading and responding.But our days have been filled with adjustment.
As recently Mia,has come home.We were not looking for a 4th dog,let alone a special needs puppy.But Mia just tugged at us for days.Brian would not stop talking about her. Reading her story,we knew that changes were in store for us if our application was accepted to bring her home.

At first,a bit of nervousness,the not knowing how much or if any another babe would change our daily routine.But we felt confidant enough that we would do fine.

To be honest,we have found that even though a special needs puppy,she is probably adapting 100% better than I ever thought.Bringing home a rescue has far been just a treasure.What she has givin back so far to the harmony of the household has been nothing but joy.

It is a work in progress,as she not only is blind & deaf,but also recuperating from a broken leg.So interaction is supervised,as Trapp & Jasper are huge compared to her,not to mention the energy level.

But what I have found,and you will to,is that all the training you have put into Ginny & Sadie will certainly be the foundation,of growth,& learning that you will be proud when all 3 are together.They do listen,they do know.

And soon you will find that the new addition will mesh right in with the other two.

Bringing in a rescue has changed our lives in an unbelievable way,for the better.Even though she has only been here for a few days,I could not imagine our lives without her. She is a blessing.

I wish you well,and I am positive that adding a rescue will not only enrich your life,but that pup will give back to you tenfold, with love & devotion for many years to come.
Hugs
 
I can say from experience that you will get so much back from your rescue. I have always adopted my furkids. They have all had a special place in my heart and always will. Angel is my first sheltie and also a rescue. She was turned in because the person who bought her from the breeder didn't realize how much work a puppy was. We got her at 9 months. She was already house broken (thanks to the rescue organization) we just had to train her the rest of the way. What a pure joy she is. She is healthy, happy and beautiful.
 
I love that video. I cover up my pups with blankets when they snooze, too!

Contacting the rescue is a great way to get information. When I dealt with the Mid Florida Sheltie Rescue, they were great to talk to on the phone about all of their available dogs and how they would mesh with our family and situation. We needed a dog who would not be a flight risk because we do not have a fenced in yard. We wanted a dog who would be active but mellow with our boys. It was nice not having to go through the puppy stages - but our Abigail has needed quite a bit of work. She is a good sweet dog but had her rescue issues. She had been kept in a crate so long that her muscle tone suffered. We are still working that out. We have to keep an eye on her weight - she puts it on in a flash. She had a skin infection (non-contagious) we had to care for. She was shy of strangers, lunged at cars, snarled at strange dogs.

I am happy to say that she is a reformed lady. She will go up to strangers for a pat on the head, is tolerant of playful dogs at the park (no snarling, teeth showing, or nipping!). Her fur is even growing back in slowly. You can't really see it in pictures yet, but I can tell a huge difference. She is obedient, sweet, and the apple of my hubby's eye. A perfect match for our family.

It depends on your family and the dog. I know that Duncan thrives with us because we do agility and flyball with him as well as walks, runs, obedience work, and plenty of socialization. But as a breeder dog (a BYB, but whatever) he is no better than Miss Abbie. In a slightly different home, I think he would be as 'bad off' as a rescue. It took months for him to get over his natural inclination to shyness (which he still has bouts of) and now we have to pull him away from his over-activity with herding and such. I am lucky because he is a performance minded dog, and I became a performance minded human to suit him. I knew I wanted to do something dog-sport wise when I got him, but I am so lucky he has the inclination. Having the drive doesn't mean he has the human to train him to his fullest potential! (Working on that!)

I would call, talk with his foster mom, talk to the rescue. You will probably have to put in an application in order to meet him. You should be able to introduce your pups at some time. If at any time someone is uncomfortable - you know it isn't right.

Our turning point with Abbie was when we were at Judy's house meeting the pups. We had briefly met each one already. I asked for Abbie (Paisley then) to be let out of her crate while she showed me how to groom a poop chute. While Judy and I were working on Duncan, Abbie brought DH a bone. He melted and the rest is history. I think that when things align, you know and can feel the rightness of it.
 
Coming into this late. But sometimes a certain dog just talks to you. My Jazz was a rescue. She started as a foster and stayed. She had issues but it n't her fault. Someone put her in a kennel 24/7 until she was a year old. NO human interaction, no dog interaction. But permenantly damaged she wasn't and she returned everything I gave her 10x over.

I have fostered alot of animals the years. Most were because the people who have them couldn't or wouldn't take care of them not because there was something wrong with the animal. Too much energy or poor matches for the family(ie Rott/Boxer in a townhouse, JRT in the home of an elderly couple) or injuries they did not want to put money into treating(ie puppy with a broken leg) or just flat out abandoned at the clinic for no obvious reason. A lot of great animals who provided great companionship for their new families.
 
Coming into this late. But sometimes a certain dog just talks to you. My Jazz was a rescue. She started as a foster and stayed. She had issues but it n't her fault. Someone put her in a kennel 24/7 until she was a year old. NO human interaction, no dog interaction. But permenantly damaged she wasn't and she returned everything I gave her 10x over.

I have fostered alot of animals the years. Most were because the people who have them couldn't or wouldn't take care of them not because there was something wrong with the animal. Too much energy or poor matches for the family(ie Rott/Boxer in a townhouse, JRT in the home of an elderly couple) or injuries they did not want to put money into treating(ie puppy with a broken leg) or just flat out abandoned at the clinic for no obvious reason. A lot of great animals who provided great companionship for their new families.

Sorry I haven't been around, I've been sick with the flu.

That's it, he just talks to me. DH and I said that our next sheltie would be a bi blue or blue merle. Tricolor is technically my least favorite color, but Tobi grabbed me immediately.

I hate to contact them without first getting DH on board but i don't want to regret it if I don't. I regret letting DH talk me out of Taffy, another rescue that I liked.

Money wise the timing isn't the best but it wouldn't be a make it or break it situation either, or I wouldn't be considering it. Also MUCH cheaper than a puppy.
 
Back
Top