Ticks!

Pam

Forums Enthusiast
Oh boy Beau. So Beau has had a few ticks. I use Frontline Plus religiously. I had just applied not even two weeks ago and he got ANOTHER tick. So far, no lyme but this is his 6th or 7th tick. All have been slightly engorged. And he isn't walking in the woods...sigh, but he does go to training in a heavy tick area of NJ.

My vet is now suggesting the Soresto collar or Bravicto. I really don't like the idea of either of those but I really do need something that will work for the ticks. Advice?
 
Last edited:
I use Frontline Plus too. I used to use K9 Advantix but I'm afraid to now with the gallbladder mucoceles tie. We have our yard treated by a national franchise called Tick Ranger. They come out four times a year and treat the yard with natural cedar oil that is safe for pets and people and it has really made a difference in the tick population, especially here in Connecticut which is Tick Central. If you Google them, they probably have a service near you. If you find a tick after they've treated, they come out for free and redo the yard, which I've done. They are terrific.

I also supplement during the season with two sprays I make. One is one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water, spritzed lightly on their coats during the worst of the season. For days like now when it's still cold at night, I use a few drops of essential peppermint oil in a bottle of water and spritz that on them. Peppermint and vinegar are both repellents for insects. They do seem to help. You can treat your yard with diatomaceous earth which I've also done but I don't think it's as effective.

One of the many reasons I love winter: No bugs!!! :dead:
 
Well winter has meant ticks for us 4 to be exact from December until now, all engorged, all at different times and all with Frontline Plus applied per directions and every single month. Prior to this he had 3. He doesn't pick them up in our yard I think, since our yard is very small and no deers, etc. But we walk him and he takes classes out in a more suburban/almost rural area of NJ and gets walked there as the ride to and from is long. I think that is where he picked up the last couple. It seems they particularly like his chin/neck area and the collar area--I assume those are the easiest to get to through the fur.

I might try the peppermint.
 
We use Simparica. Neither of my girls has ever had a problem with it, nor have they ever had a single tick. Frontline is not even recommended in my area because it is largely ineffective - fleas and ticks down here have developed resistance to it.
 
I also use Simparica with no issues. I do still find tics on Shelby but they are either dead (not engorged), or we find them walking across the white of her nose. When we used Frontline we would find engorged live tics on her.

Now I wish there was a way to keep the tics off us.
 
I guess I'm fortunate that it's way too cold here in winter to have ticks! In the summer when the ticks are at their worst I use Fiproguard Plus (generic of Frontline Plus) and it works good. If I ever found ticks on Piper or Riley they were either dead or almost dead and none of them had attached.
 
Never, ever, had a tick problem here in Michigan suburb where I live for over 25 years! I use Frontline and Frontline Plus.
I can't imagine what I would do if I saw one on my dogs or myself for that matter... :mad:
 
Never, ever, had a tick problem here in Michigan suburb where I live for over 25 years! I use Frontline and Frontline Plus.
I can't imagine what I would do if I saw one on my dogs or myself for that matter... :mad:
Your lucky! Two years ago I had Piper at an outdoor show and he must've had 10 on him (most were almost dead from the Fiproguard but still very disgusting! I'm more surprised that I didn't have any on me...and believe me I checked!
 
What do you use for heartworms? I have been using Advantage Multi, but am going to make the change due to the gallbladder issue. Mosquitoes are everywhere!
 
Back
Top