Tipped Ears Have Popped Up

take4roll10

Moderator
My dog has had perfectly tipped ears for years. I got her from the breeder with her ears taped at 10 weeks old. They were taped until she was a year and had a nice tip until recently. She's four now and for the past 4 months or so, her ears have become prick. They just have a slight angle to them now. Definitely not as low as they used to be. She's adorable either way, but I thought the tipped ears really made her face look cuter. Why after all this time would they just decide to pop up!?!
 
That's weird.. did she recently have any hair cut from her ears, so they are a little lighter? That's all I've got.. :confused2:
 
A sign she needs to join the prong ears of flyball and BARK!!!!

Signed
Sca :biggrin2:

PS My sheep has no idea as our ears were never taped
 
That's weird! I've heard tell....normally the ears kind settle into position by 1 year old

Do you have pictures?
 
It does happen, but usually it's as the dog gets older, say after age 5, that the ears can creep back up. We have to keep some show dogs' ears braced for as many years as they show. There's not much you can do for it except reglue or tape them again for a while and see if that helps.
 
Do you have pictures?

Yes, just dug some up.

Here is one from last year:
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k638/randic33/ears2012.jpg

Here is one from last month:
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k638/randic33/ears2013.jpg
They're not totally prick, but they're certainly creeping up.

It just seems like as she is getting older, her ears are getting less and less tipped. I feel they're even different from day to day. Some days they look more tipped than others.
 
That's weird.. did she recently have any hair cut from her ears, so they are a little lighter? That's all I've got.. :confused2:

Nope, they actually could use a trimming.

It does happen, but usually it's as the dog gets older, say after age 5, that the ears can creep back up. We have to keep some show dogs' ears braced for as many years as they show. There's not much you can do for it except reglue or tape them again for a while and see if that helps.

Hmmm interesting. At her age, I'm not going to start taping again. It's just a bit disappointing. I will admit that now sometimes before I take a photo, I'll squeeze her ears a little bit to get that tipped look again or take the photo from a low angle.
 
As cute as she is, if she was at my house, I would tape them over. She will look like an adorable teddy bear, and it will correct the "crimped" look that they have taken on. If you decide to do nothing, they will get worse. Like I said, she is so darn cute, and correct in head type, I would tape them.
 
Back
Top