To shed or not to shed....that is the question

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Neither my forever pup, Timber, nor my new baby, Bacca appear to shed. Both seem to hold it in their coat until its brushed out.

Timber had a gorgeous long coat. Bacca's is just growing in - it is quite thick but still needs length.

But fur around the house has never been a problem with either one.

Folk often shy away from Shelties because of the shedding issue. But is it really a problem?

So, I thought I would start a thread on shedding. Are your pups prolific shedders? or can we dispell the myth? :razz:
 
My first two, now Sheltie angels, were shedding machines. One was a rescue originally purchased at a pet store and one came from a backyard breeder from two pet store parents. The tumbleweeds around the house were astounding. Even when they got brushed regularly they shed. Interestingly enough, Barkley and Pixie, both from good breeders, hardly shed at all much like yours, Barb. Ivy, who was a pet store rescue, lost her undercoat around age 5 and only sheds topcoat twice a year but still sheds more than Pix and Bark.

What I deduce from that is responsible breeding programs make for better quality coats. And I think feeding high quality food and fish oil helps too.
 
Great thread!
Dorian, my little angel, never really shed much at all. He was a tri and you'd never know I had a dog in the house or in the car!
Chinook seems to shed a bit more, but I will have to see as he grows in his adult coat. Maia, I think she is too young yet.
 
There are furballs in the corners and stuck around electrical cords. When I carry him (to cuddle!) I'd walk away with a new fur lined top. I remember being in a taxi with Romeo and I could see his fur floating around in the cab. I tried very hard to keep him still so the cab driver wouldn't choke on all that fur!
 
Selective Shedding

It depends on what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing black, they all shed like maniacs. :lol:
 
isnt dog fur one of the food groups? :confused2: :lol:
right now shedding isnt too bad but this spring when they are blowing coat :eek2: it gets much worse! I still have tumbleweeds I need to get rid of in the corners, under furniture, oh and on the celing fans!!
 
Marlie and Rasha shed a bunch! It seems only to be about twice a year though and it lasts for a few weeks. Zoe never really sheds. She is the biggest pain in the butt to brush out too!
 
Marlie and Rasha shed a bunch! It seems only to be about twice a year though and it lasts for a few weeks. Zoe never really sheds. She is the biggest pain in the butt to brush out too!

Interesting that Zoe is the non-shedder - because she has such an amazing long and thick coat on her.

Following on Ann's response - that is: good diet and proper breeding - I wonder the same thing as to whether it makes some difference?

I think it's safe to assume that all dogs will shed twice per year when they blow their coats, but year round is the question I'm after.

My parents have a lab/hound mix and I am so allergic to him that I dare not even pet him! Stroking his back - anytime of year - raises so much dander and fur that I suffer for hours!
 
My two shed twice a year. They don't shed all year around. I feed them Wellness, that I love. The treats they get are Old Mother Hubbard that is made by Wellness too.

I run the monster vac all the time, to keep the hair down, and brush them often, which helps. My boy was shedding a bit behind my girl, I think they are finished. The process seems longer when there is more then one.

I have a sign, an outfit is not complete without dog hair. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top