Tonight was Emma's turn

Emmasmom

Forums Sage
It seems our pups are taking turns in the last few months deciding who will be the one to see the Emerge vet. Tonight it was Emma's.

Apparently she was running with a stick in her mouth this afternoon. Dad had tried to get it from her but you know who would win the battle between an 83-year-old and a pup. He said she was running and then he heard a yelp. When he looked the stick was on the ground. When I came home from work, she didn't seem herself. When I touched her throat she yelped like everything, but she kept hanging around me as if to say, "Mom, I hurt, make me better". She turned a little later and let out a really loud yelp. So off to the vet's, about 1/2 hour away. The vet checked her out - no signs of any blood or scratches, when she could finally get a look in her mouth - nope, Emma had to have me open it not the tech. Vitals were all normal, except for a bit of rapid respiration, which could be caused by pain or stress. She didn't feel that Emma had swallowed anything but had just given herself a good poke somewhere. I have to watch her overnight and make sure she is okay (so little sleep I guess).


Hopefully this will be the last of a bad run for our pups. I hate it when they hurt. I told my Dad having a sick puppy is like having a sick kid.
 
Oh Geez. When I read running and stick, my stomach flipped. I have seen 3 horrible accidents with sticks. Glad the stick was on the ground and no major injuries were found. I'll kept her in my prayers that nothing comes up over night.
 
Those sticks can be dangerous. I walk the yard to pick up the big ones especially, only because at times the deer come in and eat on my trees, break the limbs.

These two don't carry branches but will run right through the ones laying on the ground. I worry about their eyes.

You would think we have toddlers running around. :lol:

I am so happy nothing was in her throat.
 
My stomach also flipped because today at the park Chandler grabbed a stick and when I took it from him I thought that it would be a good idea for a post about sticks. My friend had thrown a stick for her lab to catch and when he went after it it jammed in the ground and than ended up stabbing the back of his throat and was stuck in there. Another case where it was great to have our vet 2 blocks away.
They didn't find any of the stick in the back of her throat did they? I hope she is Ok. I hate to hear our pups yelp in pain. Keep us up to date on how she is doing tomorrow.
 
No the throat was clear - no blood, scratches, or gouges. The vet didn't seem to think she had broken any off.

I got a good look at it when I came home. I said stick, but it was actually a piece of 1/4" dowling that had been in a plant pot. Silly pup doesn't know enough not to go under the shelf and tarp where we had the cactuses over the summer and that I brought it. I didn't know that this "stick" had fallen out and of course she found it. Right now, she is under the bed and blaming me by the way she is looking at me.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. It will be a long night tonight worrying about her.
 
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the worst has passed and that there are no further developments.

Sorry to hear she was in pain!
 
Sorry that Emma is feeling bad...hopefully the soreness will ease overnight and there will be no more drama.
 
Back
Top