Training Rally/Obedience Question

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Do most of you train with clickers, or the um, old fashioned way of correction?

I'm sitting here, thinking maybe I'll start working on Koji's "obedience" but except doing it the old way (can we say choke chain - ugh!) I have no idea how you would train any of it.

I was thinking more along the lines right now of heel. I think if I could get Koji to heel, we could get through a lot of these things (he sits so nicely in front of me). LOL.

If I decided to take classes, where would you go? I took classes at my daycare, great trainers, but they do solely clicker training and it wasn't "obedience" by any stretch, just "manners".

Thinking in the future for when I need a break from agility. That or if I want a versatility title :wink2:
 
We train with neither :lol:

I guess you can call our method "shaping." We don't use clickers, but we use good and yes.
 
We train with neither :lol:

I guess you can call our method "shaping." We don't use clickers, but we use good and yes.

So, I would say that you use the "clicker training method". A clicker can be a word also. And I just mean you shape it. Interesting.

Do you (or anyone) know of any good training videos? I'm interested to see how you shape/train obedience.
 
I use clickers to start off all of the dogs I train, and then gradually phase them out as appropriate. If I'm introducing a new concept that my dog is having difficulty with, the clicker comes out again. I've had far better results with the clicker than I have ever had with corrections, and, most importantly, my dogs LOVE training :smile2:
 
When I started training I use a chain collar and leash pops. No food. This was with labs in the early 80's.

Then I tried the same thing with my JRT/beagle in the mid 90's because it worked so well with the labs. Well, I regularlly got the middle paw and mental shut down. I could actaully see the shut down happen. She didn't cower or shake but the "stubborn" came out. I started using food and it became a bit better but still not good. This was the dog I dabbled with clicker training with and a gentle leader. Worked great for her but I really didn't know how to make clicker training work. Jazz knew over 50 tricks and earned her UKC and ASCA CD.

Then I got Justice. I taught him everything though luring and shaping. No real method but he was trained though Open by 10 months. Then I went to formal comp obedience class. It was alot of collar pops and corrections. My fabulous worker disappeared. I changed schools 3 times and he was getting worse and worse because they all use compulsion based training. Oh sure he did it and well but the joy was gone and I hated that.:( I found my current school which is a lure/reward based method. No corrections in the learning phase at all and then only verbal NRM or physical guidance(ie take them to the go out spot or drop spot) once they know it. Taught right, you never need to correct.

I trained Ember with lure/reward as well. With Diva, I started some clicker training but she spent alot of time with Rachel so it was hard and I went back to lure/reward.

With Birch, I am clicker training. I still don't know all the in and outs but I what I am seeing I like alot.

I would not train a sheltie with a correction method especially if they already dislike training not after seeing what it did to Justice. A motivational method works best. I suggest Choose to Heel by Dawn Jecs for a DVD. It teaches the dog to find heel on their own.

Here is a video showing the clicker version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5il8ym0ymY
 
Thanks everyone. Clicker training seems hard with obedience because you need very specific actions. I think I'll do a combination of luring, clicking, and shaping. lol. And start with the little things, like heel. At least he's got a great sit-stay. But not sure if he'd sit and not go into a down. ;)

Ah, but that is what training is for.

And thanks for the video Dr. Shelli. That was really helpful. I think I'll scour YT to see if there's anything else I can find (with luring or C/T).
 
At the obedience class we just finished the one tip we got that has worked wonders for me was to keep the leash in my right hand while Mikos is on my left. By doing this it keeps my left hand free to hold and give treats, and Mikos does not have to cross in front to get the treats. I am a real beginner at training but by doing this we got his heel improved so quickly it amazed me.
 
Back
Top