SheltieChe
Forums Sage
Cheryl, what I have found out it is not exactly obedience or agility it is more like way of life. My dogs are I just stared obedience classes and I get about 110 % of attention out of Leo and 80% out of Che in obedience ring. But it did not start in the ring, it is what I normally get out of my boys. I made few serious mistakes with Che as a puppy which he took full advantage of, and now
with him being my hubby dog who is extremely clueless and permissive parent I am hitting serious walls.
With Leo who is my dog and who was raised with SG training/ even providing I am still green green green, my mechanics are sloppy and good thoughts visit my brain after the fact
/ I got different results. But they start at home. When we go for regular walks, it is Che who is all about environment, he often investigates things to the full extend of his leash, not pulling, just he is much more interested in what is out rather than me... with Leo most of the walks he naturally within 1 foot of me, he still curious of environment but we are a team.
So what I am saying you are likely to see in obedience ring what you see everywhere else...
Now if anyone has suggestions on following. Those loooong heeling periods are unhealthy and boring, they suck the life out of me and my dogs. I am trying to get balance breaks in between but it is hard when everyone heeling ad nauseatum... Present science says that it is much more beneficial for dogs to have few minutes of concentrated training followed by balance break where team is doing something else, preferably something that increases heart rate, like running, playing tug, twirling etc
I am having trouble and need to break my obedience class routine into small increments ... any advice?
with him being my hubby dog who is extremely clueless and permissive parent I am hitting serious walls.
With Leo who is my dog and who was raised with SG training/ even providing I am still green green green, my mechanics are sloppy and good thoughts visit my brain after the fact
/ I got different results. But they start at home. When we go for regular walks, it is Che who is all about environment, he often investigates things to the full extend of his leash, not pulling, just he is much more interested in what is out rather than me... with Leo most of the walks he naturally within 1 foot of me, he still curious of environment but we are a team.So what I am saying you are likely to see in obedience ring what you see everywhere else...
Now if anyone has suggestions on following. Those loooong heeling periods are unhealthy and boring, they suck the life out of me and my dogs. I am trying to get balance breaks in between but it is hard when everyone heeling ad nauseatum... Present science says that it is much more beneficial for dogs to have few minutes of concentrated training followed by balance break where team is doing something else, preferably something that increases heart rate, like running, playing tug, twirling etc
I am having trouble and need to break my obedience class routine into small increments ... any advice?
