Training techniques: Caesar vs. the rest???

I can't imagine why someone will suggest weeks of ignoring the dogs. How they suppose to understand what you DO want from them? They don't understand time as it is abstract, past and future does not exist for them. That is sweetest part about dogs, they live in the moment- 5 minutes of timeout is an eternity for them. Usually 2 minutes is a max for dog to dissociate behaviors so they don't create patterns. My timeouts last long enough for me to come up with new idea how to proceed.
Controlling reinforcement is very valuable tool but not by weeks of ignoring the dog. Since I train my dogs that collar grab is good thing to happen at some point all I need is to hold the collar to prevent them from going to sniff or redirecting them if they too involved for the moment. Since they do not get upset for collar touch it is enough of timeout for them to reset the picture. And then again I will evaluate why did I have to use it- was I training too long, do I need more often breaks, did not have good level of arousal, my reinforcement rate low, etc.
Punishments, even mild ones should not be given lightly.
John Rogerson mentions that punishment/ correction is a bar of slippery soap that you are trying to reshape in the shower by standing with your foot on it- soap MIGHT reshape but more likely will shoot from under your foot in any direction...

Well said.
 
Victoria Stillwell has had an episode something like this- doubt it was grocery delivery though. anyway, you start with teaching the dog to go to mat or some other place away from the door. then as the dog gets good with that, you add knock or doorbell and send dog to mat. this will take a while- and you'll need a stay or wait on the mat.

you train for the situation before it happens- not while someone is on the other side of the door.

Really everyone should teach this but very few do. I have not because I don't have many visitors or reasons to do this- and if there is some reason that the door needs to be open - then they get crated.

Yes, this is why I haven't done it and would rather send Sandstorm to another room with husband. It would take allot of time, repetition, and would be a real pain!
 
Victoria Stillwell has had an episode something like this- doubt it was grocery delivery though. anyway, you start with teaching the dog to go to mat or some other place away from the door. then as the dog gets good with that, you add knock or doorbell and send dog to mat. this will take a while- and you'll need a stay or wait on the mat.

you train for the situation before it happens- not while someone is on the other side of the door.

Really everyone should teach this but very few do. I have not because I don't have many visitors or reasons to do this- and if there is some reason that the door needs to be open - then they get crated.

I've been meaning to do this FOREVER! But somehow it keeps falling off my to-do list. Even though it annoys me like nothing else.
 
OMG! The woof, woof, woof dog describes Indy exactly! That's exactly what he does! It not so much aggressive as territorial, and saying "alert, alert, someone is coming"....and then a final "wuf" that says ok, I've done my duty!

Unfortunately the video doesn't speak to how to deal with it! Help!

I should also add that Indy does the same "woof, woof, woof" with my son. He goes on alert whenever Ryan moves around the house getting ready to leave the house for school....shower, hair dryer, banging doors, etc. This goes on for about an hour every morning. And then finally Bacca chimes in and they both "woof" him out the door.

It's also the same woof over cleaning clothes.....Woof! Alert! Something is happening.....pay attention, get on it!

It's bizarre!
 
I've been meaning to do this FOREVER! But somehow it keeps falling off my to-do list. Even though it annoys me like nothing else.

Here is 24 hr recipe for cure:biggrin2:
Record mail man or delivery track next time it comes to your house- sound of the car, steps, knock or bell ring, then set it up with frequency 30 sec or so and keep playing. It might take few hours for your pups to realize that nobody is there. It is garanteed that by 24 hrs your pups will have no reaction to it. You might need to amplify the sound to be realistic but it will work. It works by principle of fast habituation-like someone married to hagging wife- initially you listen but after 20 years of living together all that blah blah just goes over your head...
 
Here is 24 hr recipe for cure:biggrin2:
Record mail man or delivery track next time it comes to your house- sound of the car, steps, knock or bell ring, then set it up with frequency 30 sec or so and keep playing. It might take few hours for your pups to realize that nobody is there. It is garanteed that by 24 hrs your pups will have no reaction to it. You might need to amplify the sound to be realistic but it will work. It works by principle of fast habituation-like someone married to hagging wife- initially you listen but after 20 years of living together all that blah blah just goes over your head...

That would drive me out of my mind.
 
Here is 24 hr recipe for cure:biggrin2:
Record mail man or delivery track next time it comes to your house- sound of the car, steps, knock or bell ring, then set it up with frequency 30 sec or so and keep playing. It might take few hours for your pups to realize that nobody is there. It is garanteed that by 24 hrs your pups will have no reaction to it. You might need to amplify the sound to be realistic but it will work. It works by principle of fast habituation-like someone married to hagging wife- initially you listen but after 20 years of living together all that blah blah just goes over your head...


LOL... we sort of do something like that with Miko... we randomly knock on counters, doors etc... and while he's barking we let him see that it's us making the noise. I was hoping that he'd eventually all knocks were us and he'd stop... no such luck as of yet :no:
 
It does seem insane, but I can see how eventually they'll de-sensitize.

Intellectually I know the things to do. Lazy-wize, I just can't seem to get myself around to doing something about it.....until the next time the door rings, and dogs go crazy!
 
It does seem insane, but I can see how eventually they'll de-sensitize.

You know, you'd think that...but I'm not sure it works. Since we have moved into our new house I have literally *never* answered the door when the doorbell rings (which is rare anyways). But, there have been a ton of instances where the doorbell rings on TV.

Bentley goes absolutely crazy every single time. I don't move or flinch or stop what I'm doing, but he still goes nuts. He still hasn't figured out that nothing happens when the bell rings.
 
Back
Top