Trust?

you know I have never liked that article.
Just because I am more experienced driver now than I was 10 years ago does not mean I am going to start being careless, not wear seat belt or not stop on " stop" sign.
Just matter of common sense.
 
As I've just said on another thread, I cannot understand people who walk their dogs off lead on roads. It looks as if they are impeccably trained and they probably are, their owner trusts they won't run off or after a cat or something. However, suppose something like a car accident happens feet away from where they are walking and the dogs, being utterly panicked by the noise, bolt - under the next car that comes.

Yes training and experience give a certain degree of assurance but careful this doesn't slip into complacency that the dog WON'T do something because it doesn't normally.
 
I have read that article several years ago...and agree with it 100%. It only takes a fraction of a second for something in their head to flake and instinct takes over and they are gone... Its a chance personally I am just not willing to take, people call me obsessive, worry wart..etc but I dont care their safety is MY responsibility period! Even members of my family will scoff that I always check the door the gate etc after I walk though but id rather take that extra second than risk disaster!
 
I love that article and find myself visiting it several times a year. A local obedience friend lost her utility dog who darted across the road, not hearing her command to stay...

I suffer from the good dog syndrome, have to remind myself that a leash is the sure way to keep him out of harms way....
 
I remember this article and find it invaluable to those who think their dog will not dart after that squirrel or run after the ball if commanded not to. I have heard too many stories from the Sheltie rescue coordinators who said they've lost dogs because their new owners thought they could "trust" their dogs.

I also do not understand why these same people allow their dogs to ride in their laps as they attempt to drive a 3,000 lb vehicle down the highway or side street. My guys all wear their harnesses and are buckled in for safety and so I'm not distracted while driving.

It only takes a split second to lose your best friend. Why chance it?
 
Just saw this thread and read the article, and was hit by the fact that this could be written about my sister's yorkie. They rarely had Sammy on a leash because he always stuck close but they were out in the front yard and he had wandered across the street, then seeing my sister go in the garage he ran over right in front of a car and was killed instantly. It was horrible.

The surprising part of this is they now have a weimeraner who is a year and a half old and they take him to obedience classes but still do enormous amounts of off leash! Her and my mom do not understand why I keep Mikos and Brie on leashes all the time, even on the trails in the walking parks. I have tried explaining but they do not get it. We walked together recently and Mac was in and out of the bush as well as running ahead and back to us while my 2 stayed with me. At the end of the walk Mac smelled horrid because he rolled in dead fish on the edge of the river and then came out of the bush with blood all over his foot because he sliced a dime sized area off one of his pads on something.

I get a lot of pressure from family to have my shelties off leash but I will continue to stand my ground and keep them safe. My personal view is that my leash is showing them more love than giving them unrestricted freedom will.
 
Just saw this thread and read the article, and was hit by the fact that this could be written about my sister's yorkie. They rarely had Sammy on a leash because he always stuck close but they were out in the front yard and he had wandered across the street, then seeing my sister go in the garage he ran over right in front of a car and was killed instantly. It was horrible.

The surprising part of this is they now have a weimeraner who is a year and a half old and they take him to obedience classes but still do enormous amounts of off leash! Her and my mom do not understand why I keep Mikos and Brie on leashes all the time, even on the trails in the walking parks. I have tried explaining but they do not get it. We walked together recently and Mac was in and out of the bush as well as running ahead and back to us while my 2 stayed with me. At the end of the walk Mac smelled horrid because he rolled in dead fish on the edge of the river and then came out of the bush with blood all over his foot because he sliced a dime sized area off one of his pads on something.

I get a lot of pressure from family to have my shelties off leash but I will continue to stand my ground and keep them safe. My personal view is that my leash is showing them more love than giving them unrestricted freedom will.

I so totally agree with you:yes:
 
That's how I feel too. All it takes is that one time... My neighbor asks why I don't walk Danny off leash. Well because I love him and do not want to chance something bad happening to him.I know so many people who walk their dogs off leash and it looks like a pride thing going on like look at my good dog but more often than not I also see them chasing their dog down the street as it's off after a rabbit or bicyclist. They say he's never done that before. All it takes is one time. I won't risk it.:no:
 
That's how I feel too. All it takes is that one time... My neighbor asks why I don't walk Danny off leash. Well because I love him and do not want to chance something bad happening to him.

I tell my brother( who has always let his dogs run the neighborhood) this all the time. Unless my guys are in their fenced in yard they are on a leash. He tells me I don't love them and they can't be happy being so confined, dogs should be able to run if they want too. He does not get it and never will. :no:
 
Back
Top