Vaccination Waivers/Exemptions

The Quahog

Forums Enthusiast
There was some discussion by several members on a recent thread about obtaining waivers to avoid rabies vaccination in animals where vaccination posed particularly severe risks.
You guys can Google better than I and see discussions on the topic, including the official AVMA position (which recommends they be available) - here is one recent one that seems fair and balanced, for example.
http://www.hsvma.org/exemption_rabies_vaccination_030711

As the discussion suggested some confusion, and I do have some experience here, as I was on the executive board of the RI VMA when we last visited the subject and ensured that waivers were available, I thought I would make a couple of points.
Exemptions are for animals who have a specific medical situation which makes vaccination problematic. Some are listed in the article above, though I would worry about, and avoid any language of 'severe allergies', as that is pretty vague. Probably a third of my canine patients have allergies.
One problem, and we wrestled with this, is that people who simply do not want the vaccine will go shopping around for a waiver. I know of one veterinarian, a common anti-vaccination voice on many many (many) boards, who has publicly proclaimed that he would give a waiver to anyone as there is medical justification because of the health risks of vaccination. That is one argument for why many states do not offer waivers.

Needless to say, all this will do is get the opportunity for waivers removed. The law was made because legislators, rightly or wrongly, want pet owners to get all dogs vaccinated for rabies as a public health measure. An analogy would be a physician who disliked seat belt laws so he gave a medical exemption to everyone from seat belt laws. Deliberately defying the intent of the law will not end well.
So medically necessary waivers are absolutely in order. But misusing them because an owner does not want vaccination is improper and will not work. - Dr. Mac
 
There was some discussion by several members on a recent thread about obtaining waivers to avoid rabies vaccination in animals where vaccination posed particularly severe risks.
You guys can Google better than I and see discussions on the topic, including the official AVMA position (which recommends they be available) - here is one recent one that seems fair and balanced, for example.
http://www.hsvma.org/exemption_rabies_vaccination_030711

As the discussion suggested some confusion, and I do have some experience here, as I was on the executive board of the RI VMA when we last visited the subject and ensured that waivers were available, I thought I would make a couple of points.
Exemptions are for animals who have a specific medical situation which makes vaccination problematic. Some are listed in the article above, though I would worry about, and avoid any language of 'severe allergies', as that is pretty vague. Probably a third of my canine patients have allergies.
One problem, and we wrestled with this, is that people who simply do not want the vaccine will go shopping around for a waiver. I know of one veterinarian, a common anti-vaccination voice on many many (many) boards, who has publicly proclaimed that he would give a waiver to anyone as there is medical justification because of the health risks of vaccination. That is one argument for why many states do not offer waivers.

Needless to say, all this will do is get the opportunity for waivers removed. The law was made because legislators, rightly or wrongly, want pet owners to get all dogs vaccinated for rabies as a public health measure. An analogy would be a physician who disliked seat belt laws so he gave a medical exemption to everyone from seat belt laws. Deliberately defying the intent of the law will not end well.
So medically necessary waivers are absolutely in order. But misusing them because an owner does not want vaccination is improper and will not work. - Dr. Mac

Yes, I agree misusing medical exemptions is not the right thing to do. i'm pretty sure most people would agree with that. If you don't want to give your animal rabies, not based on a medical issue, then just don't do it because like you said, I don't want anything to ruin those chances of getting medical exemptions. I haven't gone out and searched for a doctor to get an exemption for my cat, for example, who I have no plans to vaccinate... I just don't do it and keep her inside so I can be sure she'll never bite anyone (not that cats are big bitters anyway lol and it's not transmitted through scratching) There isn't a rabies police going around checking for proof. My mom never vaccinated our dogs growing up, although not sure it was because of the dangers, and my sister has never vaccinated her dogs and we've never had issues. just be smart, probably avoid dog parks (which I would anyway) and be cautious about the circumstances you're in. My sister and mother for example never take their dogs out with them so it really isn't an issue. Considering four people contracted rabies last year in the united states, none from pets, I think you'll be safe.

With my Sheltie, who is healthy, I did give her one rabies shot and then we plan to titer her in three years when it expires. We will not vaccinate again if she has immunity, no matter the law, but we will have proof she's immune. Same for the puppies, but I'd like to have a medical exemption for them just because it's really messed up it's not an option. Most states don't have one because no one has ever presented the idea of an exemption. We move so much it hasn't been worth the effort to exert the energy to try to pass one. If we ever settle down, and the state doesn't allow it, we will put our energy into proposing such law. We are considering settling down in Seattle and I think the people of Washington would be open to it.
 
Last edited:
(not that cats are big bitters anyway lol and it's not transmitted through scratching).


What, cat aren't biters? Really I must informed the 5+ cats I have on rabies bite quarantine at work almost every week. A vaccinated cat gets 10 days. An unvaccinated cat can be put down and tested for rabies if the person who is bit insists. Goes for dogs too. An unvaccinated cat exposed to rabies is quarantined outside the house for 6 months at the owners expense or needs to be put down immediately. Had that happen with a cat and a bat just last month. Owner couldn't afford 6 months board so the law made them put the cat down.

Just something to think about. Don't let anyone in your home ie a repair person, a friend, relative , saleperson and don't take you cat to the vet ever not even when its sick. Laws are there for a reason. You can chose to ignore them but just remember encouraging other people to break the law is a bad idea. Remember people sue alot in this day and age and the mental and physical anguish of worrying about rabies and being forced to get rabies shots will not make anyone happy.

That's all I will say on the subject as I know I will not change your mind. BUt I just wanted to put this out there for others. Also you have been lobbying for no vaccines and then claim it was for not annual vaccines. No one here and most vets encourage annual vaccines. The approriate and judious use(note this) of vaccines has saved more lives than problems they have caused. No one will ever convince me otherwise. People will need to determine what is right for them and live with it but remember my vaccinated animals protect yours when the ratio of unvaccinated to vaccinated is tipped yours are going to be at risk.

Off the soapbox now.
 
Last edited:
What, cat aren't biters? Really I must informed the 5+ cats I have on rabies bite quarantine at work almost every week. A vaccinated cat gets 10 days. An unvaccinated cat can be put down and tested for rabies if the person who is bit insists. Goes for dogs too. An unvaccinated cat exposed to rabies is quarantined outside the house for 6 months at the owners expense or needs to be put down immediately. Had that happen with a cat and a bat just last month. Owner couldn't afford 6 months board so the law made them put the cat down.

Just something to think about. Don't let anyone in your home ie a repair person, a friend, relative , saleperson and don't take you cat to the vet ever not even when its sick. Laws are there for a reason. You can chose to ignore them but just remember encouraging other people to break the law is a bad idea. Remember people sue alot in this day and age and the mental and physical anguish of worrying about rabies and being forced to get rabies shots will not make anyone happy.

That's all I will say on the subject as I know I will not change your mind. BUt I just wanted to put this out there for others. Also you have been lobbying for no vaccines and then claim it was for not annual vaccines. No one here and most vets encourage annual vaccines. The approriate and judious use(note this) of vaccines has saved more lives than problems they have caused. No one will ever convince me otherwise. People will need to determine what is right for them and live with it but remember my vaccinated animals protect yours when the ratio of unvaccinated to vaccinated is tipped yours are going to be at risk.

Off the soapbox now.

can we get a clapping emotion?!?! just wondering..

I 110% agree with you dr shelli! By the majority of the population vaccinating their pets/people it keeps those who dont/cant safe!! To advocate that all vaccines are bad is a slippery slope to be starting down....im all for not over vaccinating animals, but to say they are bad so dont get them:confused2: just doesnt seem smart or logical for society as a whole.

Also had to wonder at the cats dont bite...I must be lucky because everyone ive ever owned didnt get that memo:lol:
 
Well, I'm sorry but I don't see my cat getting rabid and running outside biting anyone... if it does, we'll deal with that in...but in the end, it's my decision and I am not telling you anyone else what to do, but I will make my own decisions regarding my pets. I don't want to discuss whether vaccines are this or that because in the end, we'll all make up our own decisions so why does it matter? If someone is interested in learning more they'll do so on their own and not by bickering back and forth. Like you stated, I've made up my mind and I'm not going to rush out and vaccinate my cat for rabies because of something someone says, just like someone isn't going to not vaccinate because of something someone says... we all do what we feel is right, which doesn't have to be the same. I've never advocated anyone to not follow the law, I just state what I do... I've said repeatedly one must do what they feel comfortable doing.
 
I also don't see how your animal, who is vaccinated, protects mine,

by vaccinating either people or animals or any living thing for that matter is keeping diseases at bay. By giving my animal immunity its not bringing in the disease that your un-vaccinated animals will contract otherwise...basic immunity 101.
 
by vaccinating either people or animals or any living thing for that matter is keeping diseases at bay. By giving my animal immunity its not bringing in the disease that your un-vaccinated animals will contract otherwise...basic immunity 101.

Again, not hear to discuss this. The thread is about abusing vaccine exemptions, which I am certainly against. Why don't we keep it on topic and if you don't have anything to offer about the topic, then don't post...thanks.
 
Again, not hear to discuss this. The thread is about abusing vaccine exemptions, which I am certainly against. Why don't we keep it on topic and if you don't have anything to offer about the topic, then don't post...thanks.

It is on topic.

It is called herd health immunity works the same for people, dogs, cats, cattle etcetc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

One can not have a discussion about why vaccines are important without understanding this principle. Vaccines especially rabies are not just about the individual all the time.
 
Again, not hear to discuss this. The thread is about abusing vaccine exemptions, which I am certainly against. Why don't we keep it on topic and if you don't have anything to offer about the topic, then don't post...thanks.


You asked a question on why vaccinating an animal would offer your UN-vaccinated animals protection, so it certainly pertains to the thread, if you dont want to listen to common reason than so be it,that is your choice, but it does all play into the effect of getting a waiver, if you dont understand all the ramifications of obtaining and following though with the dangers of waivering say rabies or any other vaccine its important to educate youself before just willy nilly every vaccine is bad and does more harm than good.
 
Do you understand what shedding is? It's actually vaccinated people that spread diseases most of the time. For example, a foster dog was vaccinated for zoonosis before it came to my house, it was shedding, and it got all three of mine sick... one only got really sick...but still, it's actually the vaccinated ones that spread the diseases through shedding.

My cat, for example, has never been vaccinated but we titered her last year, minus rabies, and she was immune... further proof to me, vaccines aren't needed if you keep your animals immune system up, which I believe isn't able to be done with vaccines since studies show vaccines great effect the immune systems.
 
Back
Top