We are having food problems~

mbfrench

Forums Celebrity
Yep..believe it or not,we are having issues with Trapp.I really thought it was maybe becuae I have not been home as much..see other thread about Trapp being a mommy magnet.

But the last 3 days,I have been home.We had the dickens of a time to get him to eat.They currently are on TOTW wetlands.So with lots of coaxing,he will eventually eat,but you can tell he is not excited about what is in his dish.And yes..before someone suggests a bit of sometihng added to enitce him,we have been there,done that.So it isn't going to work.

As much as I hate to switch,I'm thinking he needs a change.So I will be doing a bit of research.I did like the looks of grain free California natural,but I can't seem to locate it.I can get California Naturals,but it is not grain free.Must be quite new,as the only place I know of,where I will shop for food,and she sells only holistic,she does not have it.

She mentioned she does carry Go,Blue,Wellness.I'm at a loss really.And I have to be careful with Earnhardt,as he cannot go back to anything that even mentions corn or bi-products.

Suggestions~?
 
Also remember, that in most cases, dogs will not starve themselves. He may just not be that hungry. He might have been going through a growth spurt, and needed more calories, but is slowing down in his growth and may not need as much. I know with my human children, they go through spurts where they just don't eat hardly anything. Just a thought :cool:
 
I have no food suggestions--I feed CN.

I agree with Danielle. You may not want to baby him through this phase. It could be another attention seeking behavior.

But I could be wrong, you know best :)
 
Emma goes through stages when she will not eat her breakfast until noon or after. When she was around six months, it would be mid-afternoon before she would want to eat and even then we had to sprinkle grated cheese on it. Noah was the same - he would have days when he would not eat his breakfast until late afternoon. He just didn't seem to want to eat and would eat when he was ready. I figure - they will eat when they are ready and not before. Sometimes to get Emma to eat, I have to put her food in her hide-a-squirrel or Kong.
 
I agree with Danielle too. Sometimes they go through weird phases. Bailey went through periods where she wasn't interested in food. She eventually got over it.

If you are thinking about new food...I have actually been looking in Go! and Now! Their Go! Salmon is a limited ingredient food. I emailed them and asked for a sample. I believe BarbV feeds her dogs Now!

California Natural is a limited ingredient food, if Trapp doesn't have any digestive issues or allergies, then you might want to look at something else.
 
I agree with Danielle too. Sometimes they go through weird phases. Bailey went through periods where she wasn't interested in food. She eventually got over it.

If you are thinking about new food...I have actually been looking in Go! and Now! Their Go! Salmon is a limited ingredient food. I emailed them and asked for a sample. I believe BarbV feeds her dogs Now!

California Natural is a limited ingredient food, if Trapp doesn't have any digestive issues or allergies, then you might want to look at something else.

When you say limited ingrediant food,is that grain free? I was under the impression they have both.
I can get Go,so it may be one we will try.None of the dogs here have gut issues.Earnhardt can transition overnight.

I've never had one problem.And I had transitioned all 3 to TOTW,rather quickly,due to the fact our TS did not have Eukanuba puppy,when Jasper came home.So it was do or die in getting a food that they would eat.And everyone could be on at once.
So i have never seen allergy issues with Trapp or Jasper,it's Earnhardt that we have to be careful of with corn.
 
I feed GO to Pixie, Michele, and it's wonderful. Go and Now (both made by Petcurean from Canada) are also the foods my holistic vet feeds. Go is not grain-free, but Now is. You can research them on the Petcurean website...it's a wonderful food.

Barkley went through a phase where he didn't like what he was eating and I had to switch him. I think it just sometimes happens. I don't subscribe to the "let them starve and eventually they'll eat" philosophy. I think when they don't eat, they're telling us something. Is your bag of food new? Perhaps it's spoiled. If that's not the case and Trapp has been eating it, he may just need a change.

If you're stuck, you can always order from PetFoodDirect.com. I've used them on occasion.
 
I feed GO to Pixie, Michele, and it's wonderful. Go and Now (both made by Petcurean from Canada) are also the foods my holistic vet feeds. Go is not grain-free, but Now is. You can research them on the Petcurean website...it's a wonderful food.

Barkley went through a phase where he didn't like what he was eating and I had to switch him. I think it just sometimes happens. I don't subscribe to the "let them starve and eventually they'll eat" philosophy. I think when they don't eat, they're telling us something. Is your bag of food new? Perhaps it's spoiled. If that's not the case and Trapp has been eating it, he may just need a change.

If you're stuck, you can always order from PetFoodDirect.com. I've used them on occasion.

Just chatted with Petcurean,and she was very helpful.She is sending coupons.They can't send product samples due to canadian customs.I have seen this food in Florance SC,so we will make a trip there on Wednesday,and try a bag.
I've read all great reviews(not dog food analysis) just general googling of the product.And all were good.

I agree,I think he is trying to tell us something.This has been going on for quite sometime,even before I started working full time since July.He was hesitant,slow,generally at times avoiding his dish,making wide circles around it.Almost as if he contemplates eating,and decides..oh well...if I must eat,i'll try to get it done.

His eating habits have greatly changed since Jasper came home.And when we felt it was time to try him eating out of a regular bowl,and took the feeding dispensing toy away,he has acted strange.But really it has been a long time since we have seen him eat with gusto.He eats..but it is taking him forever.And most times,we have to coax with a bit of canned.
 
Hope the new food works for Trapp. It is difficult to try and get your dogs to eat and then have them refuse. I guess it is the same for us when we go off certain foods.
 
Back
Top