We are having food problems~

With Chandler having problems I spent alot of money on dog foods so if it continues I would recommend trying to get some samples. When I was on k9cuisine.com I was able to order up to 10 of different food or treats. I'm not sure if a purchase is necessary. I did order something called entice that you sprinkle on their food guaranteed to get the pickiest esters to eat. Not Chandler so I have basically the whole thing left if you want I can mail it too you PM me. My friend has a pet store that carries California Natural I can see if she will mail it to your or I can Let me know. She has all high quality foods.
 
Well I know the pain of dealing with a picky eater.....Newton can be the world's worst!

Just a thought though...are all your boys still intact? If so, is a neighborhood dog in heat? Neither Figaro or Newton will eat well when one of the girls is in heat...all they have is nookey on the brain and they just stop eating. Too busy sniffing.
 
Well I know the pain of dealing with a picky eater.....Newton can be the world's worst!

Just a thought though...are all your boys still intact? If so, is a neighborhood dog in heat? Neither Figaro or Newton will eat well when one of the girls is in heat...all they have is nookey on the brain and they just stop eating. Too busy sniffing.

Well both Trapp & Jasper are intact still.But to my knowledge,the only dogs in close proximity to us,are also males.

It's been going on for some time,not saying it could not be a problem,but to me seems to long a time frame for him to be so finicky.

He certainly is not suffering,by any means.He does eat,just not with gusto that he had say months ago.Maybe he is just slwing down,and possibly just needs a change for his palate.

Considering Jasper seems to be doing so well on TOTW,and also Earnhardt,we may just switch things for Trapp,and see how he does.

I will say this though,which is why I am thinking he is needing a change.I have a bag of Iams,I know not totally the best,but I was in a pinch one weekend,and could not get to TS till monday.If I offer him that,he will gobble it up.So that is what has led me to him needing a taste change.
 
Michele, I can't really add anything but support and keep us posted. I would think maybe a bad bag of food but since this has gone on for a while I just don't know. I hope you figure it out soon. Trapp you be a good boy and eat for mom.
 
Well I know the pain of dealing with a picky eater.....Newton can be the world's worst!

Just a thought though...are all your boys still intact? If so, is a neighborhood dog in heat? Neither Figaro or Newton will eat well when one of the girls is in heat...all they have is nookey on the brain and they just stop eating. Too busy sniffing.

That's a good thought. For some reason I thought they were neutered so I didn't think of that. Grizz went though a time of not wanting to eat around Diva's heat cycle in Jan. It transfer to the next show he went to all the way though April. If there was an intact girl around at all he didn't want to eat at all. He actually lost alot of weight. He was 8- 11 months at the time. My friends Great Dane did the same thing around a year of age. He barely ate for 3 weeks(he ate just slowly) and then as quick as it started it ended. Nothing physically was wrong with him. Blood work normal. I suspected an in heat girl somewhere as 3 weeks is the length of the season. I read that dogs can smell in heat girl up to 5 miles away so there could be one around and you might not know it.

I never had this problem with Justice. He loves food too much. Plus I taught him to ignore the girls for obedience training.
 
Michele, I can't really add anything but support and keep us posted. I would think maybe a bad bag of food but since this has gone on for a while I just don't know. I hope you figure it out soon. Trapp you be a good boy and eat for mom.

Well we will look into a change for him.I know I should'nt compare the two,but Trapp is so lean,and Jasper is a real heavy duty stocky build dog.It really amazes me in the differance between the two.Except for the looks,they are almost complete opposites in how they have grown.

I'm most likely going to find something for Trapp that appeals to him,and leave the other 2 as is right now.

We'll keep everyone posted,on how he reacts.He is due for his yearly vet check,and we will bring this up to our vet.
We need to get him scheduled for the big snip..snip.I may just schedule both of them to be done together.
Another whole new thread~:winkgrin:
 
That's a good thought. For some reason I thought they were neutered so I didn't think of that. Grizz went though a time of not wanting to eat around Diva's heat cycle in Jan. It transfer to the next show he went to all the way though April. If there was an intact girl around at all he didn't want to eat at all. He actually lost alot of weight. He was 8- 11 months at the time. My friends Great Dane did the same thing around a year of age. He barely ate for 3 weeks(he ate just slowly) and then as quick as it started it ended. Nothing physically was wrong with him. Blood work normal. I suspected an in heat girl somewhere as 3 weeks is the length of the season. I read that dogs can smell in heat girl up to 5 miles away so there could be one around and you might not know it.

I never had this problem with Justice. He loves food too much. Plus I taught him to ignore the girls for obedience training.

It is a thought,and with so many families here on this road,it could be just that.
 
Just doing some internet comparison,and was looking on PetFoodDirect. I see they have Merricks dry kibble,and at a very resonable price point.Just for the heck of it,I am going to order a 5# bag,and see what this does.

All of these dogs love Merricks products,especially the Turduckin,and Grammy's pot pie..
 
When you say limited ingrediant food,is that grain free? I was under the impression they have both.

Limited ingredients does not mean grain free. It just means that it doesn't have as many ingredients as a normal bag of dog food, which makes it good for dogs who have allergies.

California natural only has two ingredients in their food. Lamb and rice (and added vitamins). Nothing else. They also have chicken and rice or whitefish and sweet potato.

I'm going to have to call up petcurean and ask for a coupon for Go! I want to use it for treats. At the end of October, i'm going to decide to either feed Bailey Go! or attempt at cooking for her
 
Are you feeding a dry food? I found Cadbury lost interest in his dry food (peculiar for a lab!) then I changed to feeding raw and I have never had a problem since, mainly because he has such variety in his diet now and enjoys the food.

Someone was discussing on another forum that as dogs evolved to eat a variety of foods, of different textures and tastes that maybe dry food does not stimulate their palate enough - which can lead to scavenging, not eating etc.

If you are not interested in feeding raw you could try a high quality wet food. In the UK we have a nice brand called Butchers, it has no wheat or nasties in it, just meat and vegetables. I feed Cadbury that maybe once or twice a week and he adores it. They do a puppy food and also a 'choice' range for small dogs. I intend to feed Butchers to sheltie pup, as I won't switch to raw until he/she has finished growing so I can work out quantities.
 
Back
Top