We might be....

Megansmom

Forums Sage
As MANY of you know, my family and I have been toying with the idea of adding another pet to our family of 2 pets :yes:. I've gone down different routes, but now have an opportunity to get a 5 month old tri colored male. He is already leash trained, apparently very outgoing, crate trained, current puppy vacc's just needs Rabies and neutering. He was SUPPOSED to be a show dog, but one of his "male parts" didn't descend all the way down to proper place. We're supposed to go and visit him on Friday morning. OH, most importantly, he comes from the same breeder my Megan's father comes from.

What do my experienced multi-Sheltie families think about this? Anything I need to know in advance to make the transition a fairly smooth one? :winkgrin:
 
We're a 1-sheltie family at the moment.... but I wish you all the best!!!... and if you do bring the little guy home, I can't wait to see pics!! :)
 
He was SUPPOSED to be a show dog, but one of his "male parts" didn't descend all the way down to proper place.

I love these stories - their loss, your gain. You're probably going to have a very handsome dog. You probably know this already, but his neuter will be a little bit more complicated - but your vet shouldn't have a problem.

As to having multiple dogs - it's the best! I know my situation is a little different, because my mom has 8-10 at any one time and while they aren't "kennel dogs" they are often managed as one big group. But: your dog will never be lonely, and it is so much fun to watch a pair or group of Shelties interact.

From my experience, Shelties generally get along fine with each other, and introducing a younger male should be very easy. He'll likely be the low man on the pole from Day 1, and will be fine with that. There might be some snarking and scary noises at first as everyone sorts out where they fit, but it always sounds ten times worse than it actually is, and as long as there's no broken skin (and the issue doesn't persist), you're fine. And I think you'll find that he's easy to integrate into your household: the resident dogs are usually very good about teaching any newcomers how things work.

Good luck and have fun meeting him!
 
I can only speak from what we experiance here....

Two is awesome,3 is even better...four is a piece of cake! I am positive you & your family,Megan as well will do wonderful in a transition.

Good Luck,and I hope it works out for you~
 
Megan is so right! There are some wonderful dogs to be had this way. Those darn male parts...that is exactly the reason we were able to get Barkley, and how I met and got to know Megan and Connie (missjennygirl) years ago. Barkley's spay went just fine, too.

You will not regret adding to the family. Shelties do so much better in groups than singles!
 
LOL.... that is why we ended up with Zak not being a show dog, he had one testical not decending and it does make the surgery more complicated if they can't locate it but luckily with Zak they did not have to send out a search party.
Susan all I can say is go for it....and where is the picture?? I think you finding this guy after all you have been through it is meant to be this time around. Maggie just loves her brother and she tolerated Katie, she liked her but they had issues at times but Zak can get away with so much.
This guys sounds super.
 
I went from zero to 6 dogs in less than a month! haha But,now we just have three and I can honestly say that, even though it's much more time consuming than one, it's worth it in every single way. Nothing teaches a dog better than another older, wiser dog, or I suppose sometimes just a wiser dog. Hadley taught Lily and Theo how to walk on the leash and how to go to the door to ask to go potty. She teaches them not to play too rough. In return, the puppies have taught her how to play with toys, how to fetch, and how to just be more of a dog and let loose. I don't think I'll ever be a one-dog family again. With all the dogs out there who need homes, for me personally, I feel like I should have as many animals as I can afford/care for because they really need us.

Congratulations if all works out. Based on some previous posts you've made it seems like Meghan isn't the biggest people person, so I bet she will LOVE having another dog.
 
We have had Dodger for one week but i can tell you it has been the best week of Bella's life. We are all feeling we definately made the right choice.
 
Susan, I hope it works out for you! It sounds like a great situation.

I just wanted to add that you should factor in the cost of a more expensive neuter for this pup because of his undescended testicle. It's something that I was glad I researched because it really was a lot more expensive than a regular neuter. I spoke to the breeder about it and we decided on a much fairer price for Bentley because of the cost of the neuter (it would have stretched our budget at the time!)
 
I've usually had multiple shelties here. Fergus was my only dog for two years and I think it was the happiest day of his life when Baxter came home. I can tell he loves having a big brother. This sounds like a great opportunity and I hope it works out for you.
 
Back
Top