What would constitute "backyard" breeder for sheltie?

This is exactly how I felt. Not knowing much about "properly" purchasing a "good" puppy, I told my girls "we WILL NOT be bringing home a puppy today. We'll go and learn first." while we are driving 120 miles to the breeder's house.

I read some very good replies here. I learned a lot.

There is a "meet & greet" event this weekend, hosted by a local sheltie rescue. We'll go there and check them out. More I learn, more there is to learn!!





"It's just a dog!! Why does it have to be so complicated??? I just want a puppy!" says my wife.

What's a good one-sentence reply to this?

Its not complicated & it's not just a dog, its a 12 to 15 year committment to
a living caring creature who will return everything that you give them in spades.
Take your time and make the right choice , you will be glad that you did in the end.
 
Last edited:
Just a dog?

http://www.youtube.com/user/trentboswick#p/u/19/FRgbO5Db9Ns


Here is a video that continues to make most of us cry and has been revisited many times and reposted, lol. It was made here in a city park, Point Pleasant Park, Halifax... this guy takes pictures of all the dogs every Saturday morning and he put this video together to a great Poem and great music...

However, get your wife to watch this and the emotions it envokes... a dog will be with you for 15 years at least if all goes well....
 
...


"It's just a dog!! Why does it have to be so complicated??? I just want a puppy!" says my wife.

What's a good one-sentence reply to this?
I don't have a short one sentence answer but....

I just wanted a buddy when I got Sca. I chose a Sheltie based upon web descriptions on the web and checking with a friend on if they can take heat (I live in the deep south). I wanted a full bred dog and not a puppy mill pup. While Sca is not show quality (much to large) he has been very healthy and without issues (well except eating sheets :mad:). I think you can find quicker or cheaper pups but the risk of having extra headaches and expense due to health/personality issues/etc. increase. There is never a guarantee of a perfect life but breeders are attempting to breed perfect pups that conform to a spec and thus go to great lengths to exclude bad traits. Back yard breeders tend more toward I have two shelties and one is in heat and puppies are cute/valuable. My last task I met a lady that worked in the lunch room that met that description. In no way was she a bad person but she lived in a trailer and was complaining about money yet she had min-Pin pups, no I would not have wanted one from her. Also I contacted ASSA for recommendations on a breeder and would do so again in a flash.

Not short but I hope my opinion/experience was useful.
 
The biggest red flag for me is if the breeder does not have any testing done on the parents. A breeder should, without a doubt, have papers detailing health testing done on BOTH parents. The breeder should also have a contract that includes a health guarantee and an offer to take the puppy back if you cannot keep it for any reason. A good breeder would want to guarantee that the dog is always in a good home.
 
Another option.

You have received a wealth of good advice from wise and experienced Sheltie owners on this thread and I sincerely hope that you will take their advice and run with it should you decide to work through a breeder. As for me, I chose another option, and that is rescue. It is something that I hope you will at least consider before making a final decision. My Shelties have been and are wonderful dogs. They came to me as pets, with no intention to be more than that, although they are certainly capable of being more - and many rescues prove themselves in agility, service, etc. The rescue I worked with thoroughly screened me, my home, my yard and my references. Then they worked very hard to find just the right dogs for me and my life situation. It worked beautifully, and I have never been sorry. So, please consider rescue. It can, and most often does, work very well. You may find it of interest and help to read an article I wrote a year ago or so. It is entitled "CONFESSIONS OF A RESCUE SHELTIE" and you can find it by searching the Minnesota Sheltie Rescue website. Whatever you choose to do, you could not find a better breed of dog to add to your family than Shelties. Blessings on you and your decision making. Yours aye, Will
 
I think the term "back yard breeder" is an unfortunate misnomer. I'd much rather see a home-based hobby breeder with one or two or three good stock that are selectively bred with an eye toward the line and improving the breed for structure, temperament, and the Sheltie standard.

These folks, who are worth their weight in gold if you can find one, sometimes get lumped in with the BYB term. So if you can find one who doesn't just breed to increase the herd, make some cash, or because, as someone said, "they're cute," you've got a winner.

By all means, go and see the facility, meet the breeder, other dogs and puppies if they're on the ground. Sometimes, with a breeder like this you'll have to get on a list for a future puppy...many of them breed one or two litters a year, if that many. But they are worth waiting for. These are people who will have questionnaires for you to complete, will want to know about you, your lifestyle, how and where you'll keep the dog, and many other things. And, as Danielle said, definitely a contract.

The ASSA is a great resource, as someone else suggested, for a list of breeders you can start with. Beware of people just selling puppies with no regard for where they're going. You won't find them on the ASSA list.

Everyone here has made wonderful suggestions and given great advice! I hope we've helped you. We'll look forward to seeing your new puppy and hearing all about it.
 
Back
Top