Why did you name your dog(s) their name?

I wanted to name my first Sheltie after something either literary or musical, and remembered some dear friends from years ago who had a Sheltie named Blithe, so: Blithe Spirit (after the Shelley poem, To a Skylark. I liked the idea of having a "Blithe Spirit" in the house. Little did I know. . .

Seems that all my childhood dogs ended up being called Puppy for short, and when my mother got a parakeet, it ended up being called Puppy, and it was fun telling friends that Puppy was swinging from the drapery cord!
 
I'm still new here, joining after I lost my Darcy last month. I am a huge fan of the book Pride and Prejudice and knew I wanted use a name from the book. However, none of the female characters names just didn't seem right. So my friend, a fellow Jane Austen fan, suggested I name her Darcy, after Mr. Darcy. Perfect!

I've put myself on a waiting list for a puppy and hope to have a new sheltie to love sometime this summer. Now the dilemma will be what to name her. I've found this thread inspiring. Thanks!
 
Indy came to me at 10 months old, already named. But it seems to fit him

My first sheltie...Timber. I brought him home and we just couldn't figure out what to call him. One day the kids were out playing with him in the backyard and he kept falling over while chasing the kids. I think it was my daughter, who suddenly shouted out "TIMBER!!!" As in....look out...Falling Tree! Well, the name stuck....and of course, he was a sable, so it just fit.

Bacca....well same thing....we brought him home and struggled with names. I wanted something Celtic or mythological (i.e. after some ancient god). But bringing home the new pup was a sore point for my then 16 year old son. We had just lost both my daughter and Timber within the last 3 months, and he was not happy about "replacing" them. So I let him name him.

Well he chose Chewbacca because he made these little mewling sounds, just like in the movie. It became Chewie for awhile which was cute for awhile.

Then one day I went on the internet and started to look up "Bacca"....came up with Bacchus....the Greek God of Wine and Frenzy (i.e. zoomies) . Well, say no more! Bacca he became

Three weeks from today, I bring home my new sable merle, and yes, like you, I'm in a quandary. I won't make a final decision until I bring him home and spend a few days with him, but I do have a short list. ;-)
 
I got my first sheltie Penny when I was 5. I wanted to name her after 101 Dalmations which the first movie I had seen at theatre. My parents rejected Pongo and Perdita, however there was a Penny in the movie.

When I named Riley I couldn't find a Scottish name I liked so I started looking at English and Irish names. My top choices were Wesley, Riley, and Percy. Riley was the only name that everyone didn't reject. Someday I would like to use Wesley and Percy as names. When I registered him to get his PAL I gave him the name " Let The Good Times Roll" because I like classic rock and I want to have good times with Riley.
 
Darn I love the name that tofu tossed out one day. I wish I could have used that name before another sheltie received it. Miss Lah Dee Dah. I liked Lady because she thinks she is the Royal Highness, Princess and Diva around here.
Since she was small we added Lil' so she became Lil' Lady.

You may have read this story about Lucky. I went to a wedding shower, my sister's neighbor had a nice litter of shelties next door that night. She did her homework, nice line.

I came home and told the DH LOOK what I won as a shower prize. He got so tickled and he laughed at me, and said I was LUCKY coming in the house with our boy. My DH named him Lucky, oh this man loves this little guy.

Too much fun with my fur pals.
 
Prancer was named because that is exactly how he walked over to use at the breeders. He just pranced over like here I am...on papers I plan on putting Sir Prancalot. Teenage age kids think it's stupid ...anyway that's how we got Prancer
 
Prancer was named because that is exactly how he walked over to use at the breeders. He just pranced over like here I am...on papers I plan on putting Sir Prancalot. Teenage age kids think it's stupid ...anyway that's how we got Prancer

In my experience, teen age kids think everything is stupid, so I wouldn't put too awful much stock on their opinions.:hide
 
My top choices were Wesley, Riley, and Percy. Riley was the only name that everyone didn't reject. Someday I would like to use Wesley and Percy as names. When I registered him to get his PAL I gave him the name " Let The Good Times Roll" because I like classic rock and I want to have good times with Riley.

Wesley will always be Wesley Crusher to me, and that will ALWAYS make me think of Big Bang Theory now.

We have a cat named Percy. He got his name because the rescue center first named him Dusty Rose, then found out he was a boy and named him Pensacola. They were naming all cats after Florida cities at that time. Pensacola is just not something I'm going to do to a creature, so we came up with Percy P. Puss.
 
tesslynn

Our second sheltie got her name from Tess on the show Touched by an angel. She was an angel to my son, and she was sorta two toned as a puppy and he thought her fur looked like Tess's hair (she had black and gray hair) but he said it had to be longer, so his materal grandma was a Lynn, and she donated some of the funds to purchase her, so Tesslynn came about, and it FIT her. She was our pride and joy, I miss having her around. If ever a woof was a kindred spirit for a family, she was.
 
The thread on possible names for Barb's puppy had some folks explaining their name choices, and I thought it might make a good thread of its own! So, why did you choose your dog's name(s)?

Asta - is the name of the dog in the Thin Man movies (who was a fox terrier) but we chose her name after meeting a Border Collie girl on a ranch in Canada. This dog was awesome. A real love but, but serious about her job. When she'd round up the horses, she'd hurry the laggards by grabbing onto their tails and dangling....:eek2: it did seem to work although looked dangerous! But I just fell in love with her and also her name. So we decided the next Sheltie girl would be "Asta". Her registered name, therefore, is "Hasta Be Asta" ! :biggrin2:

Ally - came with her name. It's a derivative of her registered name, "All You Need Is Love". We almost changed it when we adopted her, but she knew her name and it did sound fine with "Asta".

Brooke - came with her name. Her registered name is "Icon's Pretty Baby", and that was Brooke Shields first movie!! Ironically, Brooke was on my mental list as a potential future name for a Sheltie girl.

All girls have the middle name "Mae".

You know I was thinking that Brooke's registered name sounded really familar. Then I realized we went over her grandson Ayden (Ch Karosel That's How I Roll) at nationals. I am totally in love with him. What a handsome boy. A friend has a litter by him due on the 4th of July so that will be Brooke great grandbabies.
 
Back
Top